Abranet sanding disc problem

A couple of years ago I got a selection of Abranet sanding discs (80 - 600) as well as a backup pad to fit my PC ROS. I haven't used them a whole lot but now I am doing a LOT of sanding. All of a suddent, the discs won't "stick" to the backup pad. By stick I mean the little loops won't get caught on the little hooks on the pad. If I visually inspect the discs that I have used most, they seem to have a lot of white fuzz on them. It brushes off a little bit when I hit the disc against the flat of my hand but not enough to now stick to the pad. I may have a self inflicted problem here: as the ROS was slowing down when I turned it off, I put my hand on the surface of the disc to slow the ROS down more quickly.

In any case, is the white fuzz I see broken off loops? When I look at a disc that isn't sticking with a magnifying glass, I see the white "fuzz" appears to be pulled out loops. I have an 80 disc that I have hardly used at all, and under the magnifying glass it seems that the loops are lower down to the surface of the disc where they can catch the hooks.

I'm guessing your answer is that I will have to buy new discs. My visual inspection seems to show that. If that is the case, did I do this myself when I put my palm on the disc to slow the ROS down or is this some kind of normal wear? I can't find anything on the web about wear so I figured this group would know the likely answer.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Maybe time to replace the pad my friend. Every coupla years it's gotta be done.

RP

Reply to
RP

I can't find anything on the web about wear so I figured this

I bought Abranet exactly once when I needed 6" hook and loop and that was all the shop had available, I bought one combo pack of grits. First the 80 grit lasted about 30 seconds before the loops gave loose and the paper folder over a 1/2 inch or so makeing a hard crease and it was useless. The 100 grit did the same thing a minute later. The rest of the grits worked fine holding down other garbage in the can, about what I felt they were useful for.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Geez, I thought that Abranet was supposed to be the hot shit. I reckon I won't buy them.

RP

Reply to
RP

I don't know if we are talking about the same product. Rather than go into a lengthy description can you look here to see if we are talking about something different (the discs I am using do not have a paper backing):

Dick Snyder

I have the similar set up. IMHO Abranet needs to come up with a much better attachment system. The disks work great and cut fast but they simply don't hold on well. I will probably not buy any more and for the foreseeable future stick with paper products.

Reply to
Leon

I have been using Abranet for 20+ years. The hook and loop pattern of theirs is not the same as the hooknloop that comes with PC sanders. There is an intermediate pad (5bucks) that does stick to the coarser hnl and convert to the very sticky Mirka standard. I work closely with 2 other fabricators who use Abranet exclusively and we are all pretty darn happy with the stuff. You cannot overheat the pads, you need to replace the intermediate pad often (I do it every couple of months) The product is fine, but a complete waste if you're sanding wet pine.

Reply to
Robatoy

commercial tool store provider that focuses on woodworking. The mesh seemed like a great idea for good dust collection without a need to line up the holes. It just don't stick.

I guess some other poster says you need to some intermediate pad. News to me. Not sure why they couldn't just make it normal. Maybe it is great if you have the extra pad.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I have the intermediate pad. It exists so the hooks are not cut off rubbingMine were not cut off but they are frayed. Here is a quote from a reviewer on Amazon "Looking under a microscope it seems that some of the hooks on the sander velcro pop through the open mesh structure of the sanding abrasive. Once the hooks are damaged, nothing will stick to them. The solution? Use the abranet pads that go between the sander and the abrasive. I found out the hard way. "

I am still trying to figure out why so many of the loops on the actual discs themselves are pulled out much like a loop is pulled out on a knitted item like a sweater.

Reply to
Dick Snyder

I am sanding dry baltic birch. Do you have an idea why so many of my loops were pulled out?

Reply to
Dick Snyder

No doubt you are having better luck. I am using the intermediate pad but it should at last as long as the samples that came with it. ;~) I work a lot of corners and sharp edges. The stuff tears and then will not stay in place. In my case the paper tends to work out better being cheaper to replace when it tears.

Reply to
Leon

Interesting. I've never used Mirka and I thought pretty much all hook and loop for sanding was the same. Obviously not. Does Mirka spell that out in large letters somewhere? Otherwise I could see sanders taking flight in mid-job.

RicodJour

I never use the Rotex to radius or sand small pointy things... IMHO, I think they're designed to sand flat things... maybe some larger profiles. Edges and corners I sand by hand or a 1/4 sheet palm sander.

Reply to
Robatoy

Do you push down hard on the sander?

Reply to
Robatoy

Do you push down hard on the sander? No, not at all. Baltic birch is pretty smooth to start with of course. I am putting urathane on it to get a nice blonde and smooth look for some drawers in an entertainment center.

Reply to
Dick Snyder

My primary reason for buying the Abranet is that the pads are a mesh. With my shop vac hooked up to the dust port on my ROS, I get next to no sawdust in the air in my workshop

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Yup, that is the upside of Abranet, as well as the longevity and consistency of grit/cut.

Reply to
Robatoy

i use regular Mirka sandpapers....bought a bunch on sale from an online company (i dunno which) The stuff in indestructable - works great!

shelly

Reply to
smandel

It's the best I'd ever used until I tried the Norton 3X disks. I won't swear they last 3 times longer as they claim, but they definitely last longer. But the last time I compared them, the 3X were about twice the price of the Mirka. I think that makes the 3X a little cheaper considering use, but it's not a huge difference.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard