About them @#$%ing strike plates, settling houses, a sledgehammer, and a bucket of prozac

Page 1 of 2

I need a little help here. From 10 minutes after my house was built 8 years ago, the doors have been going in and out of plumb.
The thing that really drives me bonkers is that there seem to be no strike plates in any of the places I've looked that are made with tall openings to accommodate such rogue doors. All I've found were much larger strike plates for /exterior/ doors, and they are just too large. I'm willing to router/chisel a new recess in the door jamb to fit a larger plate, of course. That might be a different post.
The sledgehammer reference is what I was looking for the first time I attempted this. Was going to destroy something to feel better. Went to BJ's looking for a bucket of drugs.
Ok, questions, since I [more than] clearly don't know what I'm doing.
1. Does anyone know of bigger opening strike plates. Say, 1/2" taller than normal to accommodate renegade pain in the ass door movements?
2. If I do physically move the plate, do I redrill, fill the holes with glue & matchsticks and hope that it is enough to hold the new screw 1/8" down?
3. Should I loan my sledgehammer to a friend far away, as a safety precaution?
Thanks so much in advance,
Thomas, going nuts.
--
If I can ever figure out how, I hope that someday I'll
succeed in my lifetime goal of creating a signature

Do you have access to a friend with a milling machine? Case of beer ought to do it. If you're in Wisconsin, drop me an email.
A few minutes with a file would do it.

Well, sure, but it'd look like crap.
It look just as good as done with a milling machine.

Dave

(shrug) suit yourself. I'd rather do it, you know, right.
In other words, your filing sucks. And you work with wood?

No, you arrogant top-poster, I have access to a milling machine and prefer to do in one minute that which would take me three to do less well with a file.
Why the attitude? Hack away with a dremel if you want.
Dave Hinz wrote:

I'm sure you can. But it would look like crap--unless you know how to use a milling machine. Those of us who know how to use files and don't have milling machines would much rather use the file that send it to you to be done on your milling machine.
Aside from which, I don't believe for a second that you could really do it faster on your milling machine than most anyone else could with a file, provided you take into account your set up time.
As to arrogance, you are the one who said filing would make it look like crap, which is where the arrogance was injected into this thread.
OTOH, I concur with your disdain for top-posting.
--

FF

CW sarcastically wrote:

Dave - I too have a mill. You and I both know it takes more than one minute to set it up. In the time you set up mill up, I'll have applied a half a dozen strokes done and the striker re-installed. That is, after the door was properly hung.
Dave

Fair enough. The vise is already on the table, the 1/8" cutter is in the collet at the moment, so, well, whatever.
Dremel makes files? I didn't know that. A little sensitive about your lack of ability eh? A little pratice will take care of that.

What part of "do it however the hell you want" aren't you getting about this conversation, exactly? I'd choose to use the mill. You'd choose to use the file. Someone else might use a nipper or something.
Dave Hinz wrote:

As long as we're flaming, why not a cutting torch?
Anyhow, life would not be the same without ornery SOBs like you to get snippy with.
Have Merry Christmass Mr Hinz and the same to all you others.
--

FF

I understand that that point of view was never put forth by you. What was under discussion here was your proclamation that you had to buy expensive machine tools to make up for your lack of skill at simple projects.

I didn't say _you_ had to buy anything. I said _I_ would use the mill, which I'm sorry, gives better results than a file.
Because of your lack of skill with a file.
gives better results than a file.

Yeah, sure, whatever, but my killfile works just fine. <plonk>
On 12/23/2005 11:23 AM CW mumbled something about the following:

Not to mention his lack of skill with following a thread properly.