About product rebates...

Page 1 of 2
http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_6814729?nclick_check=1
This is one of the many reasons that many of us don't like this merchandising method.
Patriarch

I would be interested in reading the article, but it requires a user name and password. Can you relate the contents?
Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com Home of the TS-Aligner

;~) I think the point was, that to simply read an article, you have to sign up and give them personal information.
This is what you can get if you sign up:
Newsletters Sign up for email newsletters from our award winning editors
Good Morning Silicon Valley Technology news and analysis, served up authoritatively and irreverently, each business day.
First Edition Silicon Valley business and technology headlines from the San Jose Mercury News, delivered every weekday morning.
60-Second Business Break Today's business news with a dash of humor.
Email Deals Choose special deals and discounts delivered to your inbox
Auto Deals Discounts, rebates and service specials from local dealerships and beyond.
Great Escapes Hot travel sales and last minute specials on hotels, cars, flights and more.
Personal Technology Special offers on computer equipment, digital products, software, games, cell phones and more.
Shopping & Entertainment Shopping deals and sales, events and local entertainment offers.
Count Me In! Share your opinion about everything from products to current events with selected research companies.
$`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end
one of the topics Tech Talk: Unopened rebate requests found in San Jose dumpster

Haven't looked at that specific link, but it probably refers to the article I read on one of the national news sites (might have been cnn) this afternoon.
That article was about a small electronics company in San Jose that sells many of their products through Fry's Electronics. When you send a rebate form for one of that company's products that you bought at Fry's, it is processed by that small company. Apparently, somebody working for that small company threw away about 1300 unopened envelopes containing rebate requests, IN SOMEBODY ELSE'S DUMPSTER! Never would have come to light if the business that owned the dumpster hadn't found the envelopes in the dumpster and made some noise about it.
Jerry

That's the one. And the flack about how folks absolutely hate the rebate runaround. And the percentages that don't bother to send theirs in IN SPITE OF BUYING!
Sorry about the signup. I've been getting their morning epapers for quite some time now, without ill effect.
Back to your regular programming...
Patriarch

Thanks Jerry. I believe that it would be viewed exactly the same as if a company accepted orders by mail, pocketed the money, but did not send the goods. It's potentially 1300 counts of mail fraud. Geez, somebody's in for a lot of free room and board!
Well, I think it goes without saying that nothing like this is going to happen in my ...uh...er... "cash back reward program". First of all, I have no employees in charge of (or even remotely involved with) it. Second of all, the local dumpster is shared by everyone in the building ;-)
I've already sent payment for all the rebate forms that I have received so far. I think that I should probably work on the web site and the form some more. I understand why people feel the way they do. It's unfortunate. I'm sure that all sorts of horror stories can be cited to justify those feelings. That said, I'm sure that the program won't be over before I encounter at least one person who, having never made a purchase, and having never sent in a form, will try to collect some money from me. I've had all sorts of bizarre claims over the years so I pretty much expect it. You won't read about it in the papers and it won't dissuade me from being fair and generous with legitimate customers.
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com Home of the TS-Aligner
OK Folks. All re-done. the "r" word has been obliterated. It is now a "Cash-back Reward Program". Some other changes have been made to alleviate fears.
http://www.ts-aligner.com/announcements.htm
Please feel free to give me more feedback.
Thanks for all your help.
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com Home of the TS-Aligner

Hi Ed,
I've been a long time lurker here and am amazed at your tenacity. For whatever reason, your posts always seem to create firestorms of controversy and to be honest, I don't know why.
I have looked at you products and being a former small business owner, applaud your creativity and longevity. That takes, talent, hard work luck and luck.
Please keep up what you are doing and don't let the pundits dull your enthusiasm. People like you are the backbone of the rec.
cheers,

Chris Dubea wrote:

I'm with Chris on this one. Maybe because I am also a former small business owner and know just how tough it is to succeed in the marketplace. Keep doing what your doing Ed. Finding a means to serve yourself, your dealers, and your customers in one fell swoop is difficult.
Rick

Thanks guys! I appreciate the encouragement a great deal.
Ed
"Rick" wrote in message news:

Quick, let's all get out our crying towels and wipe away the maudlin tears brought about by this "firestorm of controversy"!!
Seems some are trying to make this sound like a 'pile on' on Ed took place with regard to the "mail in rebate" discussion, and that was simply NOT the case.
Contrary to what was stated, there was no "firestorm of controversy. Instead, there was pertinent discussion that gave the man RESPECTFUL, valuable insight, _from his customer base_ ... something that he could not have gotten from any other source.
AAMOF, I'm willing to bet that Ed will admit to benefitting from the thread in more ways than one. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

Very true. I appreciated all of the feedback a great deal. There is no other place where people are so eager to share such frank opinions. And, the opportunity was certainly made to discuss the opinions in enough detail to remove any doubt about their sincerity.

Absolutely! Spending time in the wreck is always beneficial.
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
http://www.ts-aligner.com Home of the TS-Aligner

Kudos, Ed. I have no need of this as I already own one. But the fact that you as a business man use this forum, and defend your opionins while listening (and adapting) to the views of others earns you a "Top Seller" rating in my book.

Thanks!
"Ed Bennett" wrote in message

Well done ... upfront, to the point, and honestly and clearly stated.
IMO, this wording works nicely and has the added effect of removing the taint/connation associated with the current retail practice of "mail-in rebate".
Here's hoping you have better luck with a "dealer incentive program" as a result.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Thanks! While it's still not ideal, I do believe that the program is vastly improved. Thanks to all who contributed!
Ed

You do not mention on the web page that the customer has to be in USA as well as the dealer.
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
On Sep 12, 9:46 am, snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.net (Jerome Meekings) wrote:

Hmmmm.... Good point. Actually, I'm more worried about sending payments outside the US than I am about where the dealer is. I'll work on it.
Thanks Jerome! Ed