About Dust Collection systems???

I'm setting up a DC in my home workshop according to a booklet from the tool shop. (using PVC pipe). I understand how I have to run a bare wire from each machine thru to the DC unit, but what about the Floor Sweep? It has no machine to connect to. Does it need a wire? And also, I have one station that I have set up for multiple machines (one at a time). What about the times when I have NO machine connected...this becomes same situation as the Floor Sweep.
Any help from people who have actually setup one of these systems is much appreciated.
Wires? Wires?? We don't need no stinking wires! Tom
hi tom,
yes even the floor. with the muilple machines just put a alligator clip on the wire and connect to the machine that you are using at the time
Len

OH NO, you re-opened debate #421 in rec.woodworking. Within two days you will be swamped with replies. Exactly 49% of the replies will tell you that you will blow yourself up from static electricity. The other 49% will tell its all BS. The last 2 % will just make obnoxious noises, write expletives and yell at you for bringing this up. My recommendation: flip a coin.
I've been running PVC without wires year round for two years and I'm still here. Maybe I need a bigger table saw to generate more static electricity.
Bob

Didn't we _just_ do that?
Dave Hinz wrote:

*Cough**Cough**Cough**Cough*
What is dust collection for?????
*Cough**Cough**Cough**Cough**Cough**Cough**Cough**Cough**Cough**Cough**Cough**Cough*
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:05:31 -0700, "TomWoodman"

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz plop. (crickets chirping) grrrgrrrrgrrrrgrrrrgrrrrgrrrr Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz plop. (crickets chirping) grrrgrrrrgrrrrgrrrrgrrrrgrrrr Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz plop.
Just hang in there. Someone will bite in just a bit.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:05:31 -0700, "TomWoodman"

make sure the wire is big enough guage. 8 guage stranded should do it. attach an aligator clip to one end. clip this to your balls. the other end gets inserted into the wall socket.
read the real scoop here: <http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/woodworking/articles/DC_myths.html
ROTFLMAO - damn, now I have to clean tea off my keyboard.
P.S. your article on DC is very well done.
Gary in KC

Thanks, Dr. Cole
I had not seen this article previously. Thanks for the work to gather information and write it up; it is very good. I am a physical chemist who worked on a program at the Naval Research Laboratory to use high energy electric discharge (plasma arc torch) for destruction of waste on ships. The waste is about 60% paper, plus other organic matter (food, plastic, clothing, etc.) and some inorganic stuff like cans and miscellaneous. We fed material from a hopper through plastic tubing into a chamber, through the plasma discharge where it was heated to over 10,000 degrees F in a few milliseconds. For varying ways of grinding the feed (the simulated waste), varying feed rates, and other experimental conditions, we measured the extent of destruction and analyzed the products. In other words, we were pretty much trying to create the kind of event of a DC explosion. This experience convinces me there are many other things to worry about instead, an explosion in a DC system is very unlikely, and not going to release enough energy to do significant damage.
Your article does describe a couple scenarios that should get attention. Namely, 1. Shock hazard due static charge buildup on insulating ductwork. 2. Fire hazard in the dust pile.
If woodworkers properly deal with these issues, as your article discusses, they should be able to move on to other, much more dangerous, concerns.
I hope your article will be widely disseminated and read, and that we can put this non-issue to bed for good. However, I won't hold my breath.
Steven Peterson, Ph.D.