AAaarrrrggg!

After dragging my Star 8" jointer around on its rolling platform for the last 4+ years, the tables had drifter out of being co-planar. It was time to change blades as well, so I set about my task(s). The outfeed table had needed to be shimmed the last time, but if failing memory serves it wasn't quite the ordeal. The outfeed table at the fence side was low, and the end of the table was way low relative to the infeed table. Naturally I put the blades in first THEN checked table alignment (Duh). So I began the process of leveling. Starting with bringing the cutter head side of OF table level with IF table. Problem was every time I snugged the gibs things CHANGED! To make a long tale shorter, ultimately the OF table was removed, ways files lightly, gib flattened and all cleaned and all re-installed. It took forever and a day, but all are aligned and the blades proud by a thousandth or so. The question I have is: Is there a preferred order to doing such things (not including setting balde height LAST!). I know that tightening lugs or headbolts have a "pattern"... is there a "pattern" for shim placement? Thanks, Tom

balde
Fine Woodworking published an article on jointer tuneup that seems pretty decent. Their recommended order is 1)Adjust the gibs 2)level the tables 3)Square the fence, and 4)set the knives. The article includes instructions for making a 3 piece set of test bars for checking table level. I'd send it to you but the article is copyrighted and I had to buy it. I think you can get it on the FWW website for $2.50.
Bob
Thanks Bob, that order I'm aware of (when thinking about it). I was more interested in whether there is a suggested order for shimming the outfeed table to be co-planar with infeed side (like: start with the cutter side or the opposite) Tom <snip>> get it on the FWW website for $2.50.

Bob wrote:

Can you provide us with the issue number (month, year)? Someone might be able to find it at their local public library.
Thanks!
Daniel H wrote:

June 2000. It appears the archives online are working now. http://taunton.com/store/fwarchive/index.asp Joe