A World Class Concert Hall

Here's a project we finished up in Madison (Wisconsin of course) last year. It turned out "kinda" nice.

A Shot From The Stage:

Shot From The Back:
Lit Up But A Cool Shot:
Warned Them About Barber Poling But Would They Listen?:
entire hall was built in our shop in Milwaukee and shipped to the site is pretty huge sub-assemblies (all shop finished). For the side boxes we mocked up the existing field conditions in the shop using cantilevered steel racking. These were radius in plan, elevation and section. When they were set in place nearly everything fit like it was built on site. The funny thing was, we had a hellava problem with plain old straight paneling. I won't go into why that was other than to say it wasn't by our doing.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Looks like world class ww'ing also. Nice to see projects of that magnitude in the age of faux.

Reply to
Swingman

I assume this is UW Madison-would also assume the paneling was a PITA simply because the walls you had to put them on were not straight.

I have crews that install cabinets in large projects and it always amazes me how major construction companies can build walls using metal joists and get them completely out of whack. Same goes with concrete flooring - the humps and ridges are amazing. Ah well that is why they hire us pros.

Very nice I hope the sound quality is good - getting that right can be a bear - took em several tries at the Avery Fischer Hall in NYC IIRC.

Reply to
butch

Actually it was a privately funded (gift) to the city.

What we had to work from was raw concrete out croppings and back walls. We supplied plaster templates to the GC. There was a wee bit of transit work involved. God bless Al Gore for inventing the CNC router.

Floors 3" out over the span of 50 feet. Makes for some wide base.

We got it right the first time around. The rework we did do was from improper (forgot to read the drarings) installation.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

My Dad was an independant one-man shop, and when I was a teenager, I helped with many cabinet installations. In one case, (this was Oregon) a logger had started a house, and then been injured. His wife and her mother finished the house, and we installed cabinets. Over an 8' length, the kitchen must have been off by 4-5 inches. Didn't look that bad, but Dad made his cabinets to hang true. So, some custom molding to cover the voids. I know it bothered him, but what was there to do? The finish guys have to deal with what they have to deal with.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson