A woodworking tip

As you know marking wood with a pencil has it's drawbacks particularly when using a heavily grained wood like oak or a dark wood like walnut. The pencil mark is difficult to see at best. A few years ago I discovered day-glow orange masking tape. This tape catches you eye and is great for numbering pieces and or indicating a pencil mark for cutting.

While pretty expensive I seldom use long lengths and a roll will typically lase a year when I am busy. About $8 per roll. About 3 months ago I had my wife pick up a roll at the hardware store and she could not believe that the stuff was $8 per roll! Back in December she assisted me with the airplane project which had countless track saw cuts on cobalt blue and brushed steel grey plastic laminate. Pencil marks are very difficult to see on those colors. She saw me use the orange tape to mark my cuts and she instantly agreed that the orange tale was worth every penny. She gave an extra roll of orange tape for Christmas. Woopee.

Leon

This is why I still use Crayolas.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

This is why I still use Crayolas.

Robert

It's good when you can stay inside the lines.

Reply to
Meanie

You made your mark, now readjust 1/8"

Reply to
Leon

Does the wax from the crayolas effect the subsequent finishing of the wood?

If so how do you remove it?

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

On Thu, 07 Feb 2013 14:50:27 -0600, Leon

Not sure if it's price or usable comparable, but Lee Valley sells brightly coloured tape.

Dave

Nope, I'm using masking tape.

Less expensive here even with shipping..

Leon

I think Nailshooter is referring to construction grade materials.

Reply to
Leon

That's construction grade oak and walnut???

I've not seen either in construction since the (story I've told before) discovery after an old schoolhouse was razed in Lynchburg, VA, back in late '60s...went down to the site just to get a slate blackboard section for the kids in the base but wandering around notice the large pile of beams surely looked unusual, even given were over 100 yr old was something other than just age. A little paring w/ the pocket knife uncovered that they were, indeed black walnut (almost exclusively w/ a few oaks of both red and white thrown in here or there as I discovered while preparing some of it). Since was being sold as salvaged construction material, I made an offer of $1000 for the entire pile and was accepted (a lot of money in those days). In the end ended up w/ almost 15,000 bf of 8- to 12/4 roughsawn beams in lengths from 10 to 18 ft and widths from 6" to 10" w/ a set of 12 12/4 x 12" x 20' from the large assembly room.

As for the question from previous respondent I would presume it's mostly during the rough layout phase and the marks are removed by subsequent milling operations for the question re: finishing problems. If there's some left when time for finishing comes along a little thinner will take care of it easily.

I use carpenters' crayons precisely the same way--keep at least a red/yellow/black around all the time so have contrasting colors for the particular surface...

Sharpies are good, too, for bandsaw layout lines--they make a nice, crisp line that's easy to follow...

Reply to
dpb

My marks on the orange tape are for final cuts.

Reply to
Leon

All kidding aside Leon, I use masking tape and one of these in black"

They are easily found at the local office supply store. Although they say it is a 3mm point, these EASILY will draw a 1mm line.

I find the older my eyes get, the better things like this work for me.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

age

You melt down the broken ones and pour them on as a finish.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Me too.. The orange catches my eye.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly. Measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon, cut with an axe. JP

Reply to
JayPique