A woodwork newbie. Staining sequence when using inlays.

A question on finishing: I want to make some black (Japanese style) furniture, so will be using a dark stain. But part of the design will be to use inlay on the top surface of the piece by routing a channel and filling it with pre-cooked polymer clay tiles.
A little unusual, I know, and I'll play with many test pieces before to see if this is going to work.
What sequence is used when staining in this situation?
1) Route inlay channel 2) Stain 3) Glue inlay into position 4) (How to sand inlay flat?, without affecting stain?) 5) (What stuff is good for filling any gaps between the wood & tiles?) 6) Lacquer
you can see the problem?
BTW: For examples on some polymer clay used on furniture (veneer, rather than inlay) and what that stuff can look like, click here:
http://www.syronbishoff.com/polymer%20clay.htm
Cheers.
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:42:30 GMT, Owamanga

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page40.htm
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)