A walk through the park

So I took my two grandsons to a local municipal playground yesterday. After playing on the swings and slides and teeter-tooters and .... and watching a bit of a little league game, and going to the "potty" 5 times, etc. they decided they wanted to walk through the woods surrounding the playground and part of the municipal park. So we go walking along the paths and come across various trees that had fallen across the path during the winter or spring. These had been cut uo to clear the path. This finally caused me to notice that I was walking through a large (couple of hundred acre) cherry forest. Many of these trees were upwards of 24" diameter and quite tall before branching out. There was some other hardwoods, including walnut, hickory and maple, but I would estimate that at least 80% were cherry. Unfortunately, these will never become lumber for our shops, but I was certainly dreaming about it :)

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

find out who does their tree service. make friends with the crew supervisor. believe me, it will be worth it.

Reply to
bridger

It may be worthwhile for you to find out when then do their clearing / cleaning of the paths every spring so you can claim some of the logs before they're cut up.

Reply to
Upscale

The township maintenence/road crew clears the paths. They just hack the trees so that the path is clear. Between it being a park (with the greenies adamant that no logging occur) and it being steeply hilly with no roads (no bikes, 4 wheelers, motorcycles, etc. allowed), I don't think you would get much more than a few bowl blanks out.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall