A walk-along circular saw plywood ripper.

Page 3 of 3

Cutting up old flooring I was ripping out. Last summer I ripped some treated pine boards for a deck. Both times I had trouble with binding, the saw wanted to kick back and lift out of the cut.
You know, it is funny. You built a saw extension handle that you think is the best thing since sliced bread, and pretty much everyone here says no way they would use it! Seems to be an indicator of sorts. Have fun with your new gizmo, and I hope you don't cut your leg off with the thing! There is no way I would ever use it! Greg

Whenever I design something I ask myself, "what's he worst thing that could happen?"
I am walking along 2 feet behind the saw and 1 foot alongside it.
Suddenly the saw kicks back and it jumps a foot into the air.
The blade guard would close off the danger before the saw could cut anything.
(That is what it was designed to do)
If the blade guard failed, I still would have the handle in my hand and I believe that I could prevent the saw from coming near me. Besides, what is the trajectory? It is not a free object.
Add a safety lift-off switch and the power would be cut off as well.
Have I left anything out?
"BoyntonStu" wrote

Absolutely ... the ubiquitous empty space between most ears.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

I doubt that.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I hope neither of us have to find out but I suspect that as soon as the insurance company found out about your gadget they'd immediately say you had modified the say beyond its intended use and cancel payment.
I would even go so far as to say that every saw manufacturer would also say that, and refuse any warranty work on a saw modified in this manner.
Both would happen regardless of whether the modification itself is safe or not. Doesn't matter whether you or I are right about whether it's safe. Insurance and manufacturer would both use it as an excuse to renege.

Perhaps, but I do not live my life worrying about what insurance companies might do if something may possibly happen.

You would lose that bet...the closer you are TO a "thing"(saw, drill, whatever) the more control you have WITH said thing.

Safer, not necessarily more control.
(We can argue control next.)
If the saw is in your hand and for some reason it jumps off the board, it would be then closer to your body than if held by a handle 4 feet away and unable to reach you (before the blade guard is in place).
If the blade can't reach you, it cannot cut you.

"Safer" does not necessarily mean because you're not cut. The saw might fly off the board and decapitate the dog. The spinning blade might hit the floor and bounce the saw, turning that family heirloom you were in the process of fixing into so much kindling.
Or, since personal injury seems to be the "safe" that's on your mind, the flying saw might crash to the ground, chip a carbide tooth and send it flying into your leg, cutting your femoral artery at which point you fall to the ground and bleed to death in a few very fast minutes.

Control _IS_ safer.
If I'm using a circular saw and it kick out of the cut and I'm holding the saw itself, I will have the control to put the thing out of harms way...that is away from me and my legs.
The other thing is that if I'm holding the saw handles that the maker put on it, I can FEEL what's happening and if the saw starts to kick, I can release the power switch, the blade stops, no harm, no foul.
<<<snip>>>

And THAT is exactly my point!!!!

How do you control kickback? What happens when kickback occurs and you've got a moving circ saw at the end of a 4 foot pole? How do you turn it off?
I can say one thing with certainty... I'm not going to build this "jig".
And another... The original post smells like a troll to me.
http://improve-usenet.org /
Mike Marlow wrote:

I just kneel on the sheet after placing it on a 4'x8' 2" foam sheet.
The handle will be interesting if anything goes bad.
Mike Marlow wrote:

I just plan ahead and have my supplier cut ply on their panel cutter. Need to get one of those or make one.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

photos puleeze!!!
Max

I think I will pass. I fail to see how safe, accurate, or convenient this would be. Sometimes a circular saw can be a handful when you are hanging on to it like it was intended, let alone with a 4 foot extension handle on it! When I need to rip some ply I either lay it across a couple saw horses and stand beside it, or just run it through my table saw. Greg
BoyntonStu wrote:

Carpenters used to have to just worry about keeping all their fingers. Now it is toes also?
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA