A trundle stand for a planer?

Am I using the term right? I have a small woodshop and have the perfect place for a planer (right under my tablesaw's outfeed table) I want it to rise to a human height. Has anyone seen a spring loaded or hydraulic lift for a smaller (150 lbs) tool? Things are made for televisions to pop out of dressers right?

thanks,

Tor

Reply to
tor

ATV jack, has wheels, hydraulic jack, big platform. Probably not very precise, may wiggle. Usually rated 600lbs.+ I see them in Northern Tool Catalogs and Harbor Freight.

Tom in KY, watching the kids ride their 4-wheelers on what's left of the snow and ice.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Great idea. It appears that they lift from 11" to 14" depending on the model. I hope that is enough. Out to the shop to measure.

tor

If it works, LET US ALL KNOW!!!! I was kinda' kidding. I wonder if it will be solid enough. I've been around a few and they tend to rock and creak around when leaned on. Like I said though, let us all know if it works. There may be a rush on these in the next coming months by wood workers that will drive up the price and create shortages in the ATV repair industry! Imagine what it will cost to have new rings put in after your kid drives your 4-wheeler for 2 or 3 hours with the choke on again. Or what the bill will be on your wife's

4-wheeler when you have the brakes replaced after taking her to your favorite hilly area.(women do not down-shift ya' know?).

I'll bet on an industrious weekend, a good wood worker could make his own lift based on the ATV lift design with the propper cross bracing to make it solid enough to use with any 100 to 250lb. planer

Tom in KY, possibly giving too much credit to the capabilities of a good wood worker who is about one industrious weekend from dumping his planer onto the floor and getting hurt.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

What about flip table designs? Every time I pick up one of those silly woodworking magazines its seems they are full of weird shop designs for DIY's. Hasn't anyone seen some convoluted way to raise a planer up two feet?

tor

What about building some kind of braced vertical guide rails to support it against horizontal loads, so the jack is supporting only the vertical load?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Yes, chris, that seems to be the trick, but thats quite a lot of work. My planer needs about 14 inches of clearance, so I will need to find some unusual atv jack that gets up that high, before I even get to start stablizing it.

It still seems strange that no one makes anything like this, just for this purpose.

Reply to
tor

I just had an idea that you all will think is not so smart, but I think its quite good.

When I run the planer, I put a huge pile of wood through it and then spin the planer around and send pile back again. About six times.

Imagine this!!! A barbar's chair with the seat removed, and a platform welded to the top. It is sturdy, strong enough lift and swivels! I would need to find a locking mechanism, but that seems easy. Shoot, one of those was lying around in my warehouse a few years back. I think the rose well more than 12 inches.

Is there any similar thing I could use? Any thoughts?

Reply to
tor

Well this is the third post from me in a row. Is there a term for that on usenet?

Check this little honey out..

'm gonna go look at it tomorrow.

tor

Looks ideal, I wonder how wiggly it is? It may be pretty easy to put some plywood in between the rails. That would stiffen it up in one direction. Make sure it raises the platform level. I have a vision of raising a surface planer, then seeing it slide off of the table. Night-marish, ain't it?

Tom in KY thinking you've just about got this thing worked out.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

I like that lift - how about this for a mod for it.

Make a track where the wheels will slide under your saw and a cradle for them to rest in so it doesnt move.

Then add a heavy duty lazy susan bearing (about 10 bux from woodcraft - will support 400lbs) w/ a board on top to mount the planer. Add a pin to the board to lock it in place on each side. Run the wood thru - pull the pin spin planer - replace pin - run boards the other way.

I may have to check out that lift - this could get interesting. Let me know how it works out for you.

Reply to
Rob V

I have the heavier version of that cart (1100 lbs?). HF had them for about half-off a couple of years ago. Typical of stuff from HF, there is some awkwardness about the thing, but its basic functions work fine. Up and down smoothly, stays put at any height, stays level, doesn't wobble or sway badly. It sure is nice to have when there is a heavy machine to unload and assemble.

PDX David

Reply to
Jane & David

Maybe we should all save up and buy 2 when they come up half price again! They do look handy.

Tom in KY starting to lust for one of these now.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Look at the Production Tool or J & L Industrial Tool catalog for a roll-around die jack. Used to slide smaller dies into / out of presses. Can take a lot of weight without excessive wiggle.

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday