A thank you to Roy Underhil from a new Dad

Back in March I become a Dad, and as things are now calming down I can start doing more woodworking, with one problem, tools make noise, wake baby up SWMBO becomes militant.

I have now found a solution, put baby in backpack(one made for caring babies, Child services get upset if you use there other kind), and go to work. I can't use power tools with the baby, he doesn't like the noise, dust and I'm worried about the safety issue(can't find safety glasses his size)

Growing up watching New Yankee, and Woodwright shop I admit I liked the way Norm did things better, I like power tools; but Watching Roy build some of the projects he did as fast as he did with out power tools just amazed me. so over the years I've collected a number, mostly using them for large projects, now I'm happy I can take what I leaned from Roy and use it. Baby's happy(he likes the back pack), SWMBO is happy to get a break from the baby(new stay at home mom, still adjusting), and I'm happy(I get to do woodworking, I get to spend time with my Son doing woodworking, granted at 5 months he doesn't contribute much, and SWMBO isn't threating to kill me, because if mama isn't happy, NO BODY is happy)

So thank you Roy

Richard Clements

Reply to
Richard Clements

Enjoy the baby, let him/her smell wood from as early as possible and stay away from angry moms! They're more dangerous than lightly fastened router bits! Enjoy the new family member!

Reply to
Max63

I don't think it's a good idea to have a kid in a backpack while using handtools. It's a potentially huge distraction. Wouldn't want the kid to suddenly scream and have that cutting tool slip.

Can't you put the kid in a seat while you watch him?

Reply to
bf

I have a jumparoo (kinda like the old johnny jumper, only it has it's own stand) but he doesn't like it as much. but I haven't had any problem with him screaming or anything in the backpack and if noise is an issue, he makes more noise in the jumparoo then the pack by far, in some way's I do better, take more time, pay more attention to how I'm setting stuff up

Reply to
Richard Clements

Wed, Aug 30, 2006, 9:46pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.clemnet.org (Richard=A0Clements) doth claimeth: Back in March I become a Dad, and as things are now calming down I can start doing more woodworking, with one problem, tools make noise, wake baby up SWMBO becomes militant.

Big mistake. HUGE mistake. Went thru that crap with the first kid, tiptoe around, whisper, least little noise'd wake him up, then drop everything to get him back to sleep. PITA. Second kid we had to finish the inside of this place. Didn't have time for the tiptoe crap, so got smart; put the kid down in the back room, then hammer, saw, play radio, whatever; after about a day, the kid'd go to sleep and sleep thru whatever noise we made. No prob.

JOAT Justice was invented by the innocent. Mercy and lawyers were invented by the guilty.

Reply to
J T

Agreed. My kids can sleep through pretty much anything, even alarm clocks (they use the "buzzer" mode because music doesn't wake them up).

Reply to
DJ Delorie

As the father of twins now 6 years old I often thought of new ideas that would help the harried parent. One idea I thought would be good was a large version of a hamster ball...

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Seems like a good idea until the ball starts to head downstairs...

I suggest you get back to running the power tools as soon as you can. I never stopped when my children were born and it was never a problem. Maybe your child is different from mine (how could that be?!), but infants are pretty good at adapting once their needs are met.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

I wish I had discovered how to tune a handplane long ago, as my daughters crib would have gotten finished, and I'm STILL hearing about it (she's almost 11).

However, you DO need to make noise so the baby sleeps harder. Went through hell with that scenario, but number2, with No1 in the room, he slept through the noise.

Alan

Reply to
arw01