A story, and a knothole question

Page 1 of 2
To understand the whys of the question, I have to first tell a small story. Well, a story with a short preface.
The Preface: Met my wife 20 years ago in high school, dated a little while, parted ways, got married 15 or 16 years later after living in different states for most of that time with little contact.
The Story: We're at the Central Washington State Fair a couple years ago, and I noticed that, no matter what barn or building we were in, she always gravitated to the ugliest, most pathetic, most horrific, most wretched looking creatures in the building. The ugliest, scrawniest cow? That was the one she thought was "soooo cute." In the reptile barn? The nastiest, scaliest, ugliest lizard was, to her, "so beautiful." At Xmas she always wants to go for the Charlie Brown tree, four feet tall with three branches and seven needles. That, of course, is when I realized exactly how I'd managed to bag this beauty. She looked around at all the available suitors, and picked the most pathetic, most wretched looking one of the bunch, me.
And don't get me wrong, I ain't arguing with it. Take what you can get and ask for seconds. But all of this is only to shed light on:
The Knothole Question: I picked up for cheap the other day a sizable piece of beautiful walnut, one foot by three feet. An inch thick. Cheap because at one end is a humongous knot. The knot itself is probably three or four inches across, maybe a little more. The knothole itself is probably, give or take, an inch and a half across.
So I was showing my wife my smart purchase, saying, I can cut around that knot, and that still leaves a whole lot of nice looking walnut to use for trim or small boxes or whatever. "Well, what are you going to do with that knot?" she says. "It's really beautiful." I made the Tim Taylor "Arrrrooooo?" noise, then pretty much forgot about it until she mentioned it again the next day. And again a few days later. That's when I started trying to come up with a project, any project, that would prominently feature a big-ass knothole. Apart from a paperweight, I came up with nothing, so I'm throwing it out to the experts.
Any thoughts?
Victor De Long wrote:

My first thought is to glue one or more small and strong magnets into the back of the knothole piece and use it on her refrigerator door to hold whatever she wishes.
Hoyt W.
Victor De Long wrote:

I had an off-cut of 4X6 Black Walnut with a hole where a bark inclusion had been leaving a knothole at about a 75% angle through the the wide parts of the board with a 35% angle sideways. I stood it on it's end so the hole went front to back and up to down, hard to explain, and sanded it then Ued the DP to make a hole from the top down into andslightly past the bottom of the knothole. Secured a bud vase in it and my SWMBO uses it for smaller cut flowers. The stem and water are visible about midway down the wood with the flower and some stem coming out the top end.
Just a thought, Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

that
for
that
mentioned it

ikebana display. basically you silicone a waterproof cup of some sort under the hole. add a frog into the hole, and use it to display cut flowers. cut it into some interesting shape and put a nice finish on it.
Nice story Victor. Make a small picture frame.
Dave

story.
ways,
noticed
thought
the
most
and
one
humongous
that
[...]

Dave, I think he got it the first time....
--
John Snow
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"

Nice story Victor. Make a small picture frame.
Dave

story.
ways,
noticed
thought
the
most
and
one
humongous
that
it
I had a stack of loose-knot pine and was to build a bookcase for the local school. I used the pieces with the loose knots removed, and the kids love it. It adds "character".
The picture frame idea sounds good to me too.
You could make a walnut plug for the hole. Some people plug holes with epoxy. I've seen black epoxy plugs in dark wood such as walnut.
--
John Snow
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:24:50 -0700, "Victor De Long"
[entertaining prelude snipped]

Trivet?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:24:50 -0700, "Victor De Long"
-snip of shed-

Cool.
That's my favorite noise. (...until he gets to <ar ar ar>) ;)

Wayull, some of our pro furniture makers here have pt things in them. Phully Laird pots acorns in clear epoxy. And Dougie Stowe puts stones in the hollows.
You could always make it a Zen feature. Finish it without any sanding or touchup and leaving it (w)hole.
We'd do better with a pic of said board.
------------------------------------------------------------ California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards
<snip>

I like to make small boxes for desktops or dressers, with knots featured in the lid or one of the sides. Something of a reminder that not everything beautiful is perfect...
Patriarch
Patriarch notes:

Or he might make a pendant out of it, polish it up and put it on a gold chain.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote:

Wow! and I thought the Ikebanz thing was kinda Zen-like. A knothole on a chain. THAT'S Zen. %-) Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Gotta cut it thin, of course, just the surrounding 3/8" or so. But that's not Zen, it's Baptist, and not even Southern Baptist.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

I thoughts chaining holes was part o' String Theory and you needed a small Black Hole nearby.