A small gloat

Page 1 of 3
The company I work for recognizes employees for long service at five year intervals. Recently, they changed from having people choose from a pre-selected catalog to allowing award recipients to choose their award. I'm in for fifteen years, and for my service award was presented with this:
<http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pb800&cat=1,50230&ap=1>
Plus a spare blade, just in case.
Now to plan a project where I can use it! Hmm...
Dave Balderstone wrote:

You suck!
The very first REAL Neander woodworking tool I used in earnest, on a coffee table (to round the corners), was a spokeshave, 44 years ago.
Belonged to my FIL at the time, who gifted it to me about 3 or 4 years ago when he closed down his shop in England, at 90 years of age.
Great tool ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I now have planes and other hand tools from both my grandfathers, and while I love my power tools both the labour itself and the satisfaction with the results moves me to use what they have left me.
One of my grandfathers was a very talented woodworker who was destroyed by his alcoholism. Many of his tools were sold so he could buy his drink and I am lucky to have what is left. He always asked me how many rabbits I'd trapped when we visited, and it was a joke between us that was much loved. He cut off most of the fingers of his left hand with his RAS one day when he was working in his shop drunk. He taught me a lot. I miss him.
My other grandfather was a carpenter. And farmer. At 80, he rebuilt the garage that burned due to an electrical fault basically by himself, using lumber he had in the barn, and the insurance money to buy what materials he hadn't hoarded over the years. He always promised that when I was old enough, he'd show me his rat hole sand pounder, so I could learn to pound sand into rat holes. I never saw that pounder. He never stopped working, so neither did he. He taught me a lot. I miss him.
And now, at 50, I can look back with 20/20 hindsight at these two men, and see their flaws and their strengths, and remember them when I pick up one the tools that they held in their hands and shaped wood with, and honour their memory and be proud to have known them.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

We have pretty much the same background ... both my grandfathers were extremely self reliant and managed to raise families during the depression by dint of talent and hardwork, one a blacksmith, the other a carpenter/cabinet maker, plus one great grandfather.
Remember this about 6 years ago?:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/89e7682cb91bda13/a7cdcd3fe1a0f824?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=grandfather+group:rec.woodworking+author:swingman#a7cdcd3fe1a0f824
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Sorry, Dave ... didn't mean to hijack your thread.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

That's what threads is for, right?
Bastid.
;-)

I have great uncle who was a blacksmith... wrought iron work. One of my brothers is a blacksmith/farrier/stainless steel welder and high iron worker.

My short term memory isn't what it should be sometimes, but re-reading it, yes I do.
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 18:36:57 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

I'm still using Dad's old aluminum skilsaw, and I inherited his old Dunlap plane (#4-ish size) and a little 8" wooden Millers Falls torpedo level. He didn't do much woodworking but he taught me to work with my hands and my mind, and taught me basic physics. Both have served me well so far.

<sniffle, sob, HONK>
-- Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost. -- Thomas J. Watson
:-P
One of these days we're gonna drive down the left coast, C-Less. THEN you'll be sorry...
On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 15:54:51 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

I've already weathered the Canuckistani attack, so bring it on, Baldy!
You'll leave in tears after seeing my shop. "All that wood and no place to work?"
I have a nice Double foam rubber mattress on the floor for singles, or a Queen blow-up bed for couples (which I've never had, just fambly.)
CAUTION: A lifelong bachelor lives here. (scares wives)
-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 10:45:26 -0800, Larry Jaques
I'm sorry.
I thought this was a thread about your particular predilection regarding 'country matters'.
I though it said, "A Small Goat".
I'll leave now.
Regards,
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 13:57:32 -0500, the infamous Tom Watson

Oh, you just came for the sex, huh? OK.

Very good idear.
P.S: Who needs goats or sheep when they're ambidextrous?
P.P.S: Speaking of sex, this just hit my inbox this morning:
First Trojan
A Boy's First Condom
I recall my first time with a condom, I was 16 or so.
I went in to buy a packet of condoms at the pharmacy. There was this beautiful woman assistant behind the counter, and she could see that I was new at it.
She handed me the package and asked if I knew how to wear one.
I honestly answered, 'No, this is my first time.'
So she unwrapped the package, took one out and slipped it over her thumb.
She cautioned me to make sure it was on tight and secure. I apparently still looked confused.
So, she looked all around the store to see if it was empty. It was empty.
'Just a minute,' she said, and walked to the door, and locked it.
Taking my hand, she led me into the back room, unbuttoned her blouse and removed it. She unhooked her bra and laid it aside. 'Do these excite you?' She asked.
Well, I was so dumb-struck that all I could do was nod my head. She then said it was time to slip the condom on.
As I was slipping it on, she dropped her skirt, removed her panties and lay down on a desk. 'Well, come on', she said, 'We don't have much time..'
So I climbed on her. It was so wonderful, that unfortunately, I could no longer hold back and KAPOW, I was done within a few moments.
She looked at me with a bit of a frown. 'Did you put that condom on?' she asked.
I said, 'I sure did,' and held up my thumb to show her.
She liked to beat the shit out of me.
-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson

And your frigging sig delimiter is STILL broken!
hyphen, hyphen, space, return.
Not hyphen, hyphen, return.
On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 15:57:13 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

Yes, I know. I just do that to piss off the purists. ;)
(It's also an easy way to know when it's time to change the sig. When I'm bored of it, you probably are, too.)
-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Very nice and a very nice touch by your employer. Mine does the same thing yours used to do. The selection is quite limited. While it is never good to look a gift horse ... it still would be nice to get something that would be truly useful.

Rob Leatham

Nice tool, hope you enjoy it for many years and make nice stuff with it.
BTW, at 15 years my company sent my wife and me to Italy for two weeks. Next year will be twenty.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

At 15 years, we got nothing.
At 20 years, my wife and I each got a piece of luggage (we both work for the same place).
At 25 years, I got a clock, she got a watch.
You done good.

Rob Leatham

I'm the person with the most time, aside from the owners. At five years, you get dinner at a nice restaurant, ten years is a trip. The shipper went to spring training for the Red Sox, the maintenance supervisor went to Disney World/Orlando stuff, the production manager did not want a trip so he got a John Deere lawn tractor. Only two of us hit 15 years so far and the secretary took two weeks traveling in California.
In the past five years, only one person has left the company and that was because his wife wanted to move to Florida. No one has asked for a raise. Every employee gladly give an incredible amount of loyalty and will do anything asked at any time. We know our efforts are appreciated and rewarded with profit sharing and bonuses.
Tonight is our Christmas party and yes, another employee will get a trip.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My partner at work retired last June with over 45 years of service. He was told to leave his company ID on his desk when he left for the final day. Although he did get to pick out a retirement gift from a catalog sent to him by the outfit handling retirements/anniversaries, not even his immediate boss said goodbye to him... not even a phone call.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Sad, very sad. I worked for a big company back in the 60's, but small companies after that.
In the ethics thread, someone mentioned keeping business and personal lives apart. Maybe that works for some, but it is not the way I want to live. All of us know our co-workers, and the names of spouses and kids. The birthday card is a nice touch, the get together at the picnic and Christmas party, of course.
We have a common goal of making good product and keeping the customer happy. It is really that simple and we do it well. It did take a while to get the right people in the right places and we had our share of characters that came and went , but the 15 of us work very well together.
A few years back the two owners were in Europe and we had a flood with 18" of water in the plant. Rain started Saturday morning, flooded that night and was drained out the next day. Lots of damage and disruption, but we started the cleanup Sunday, motors had to be rebuilt and the like, but we were back in production on Thursday. The following Saturday, we were all taken to dinner (with spouses) as a thank you. In a big company, we'd probably wait two weeks just for the insurance adjuster to show up.
Work is not a chore for me, but a nice place to go to. I plan to retire at maybe 70 and work only a few days a week. One lady did retire and she now works only day a week at the age of 72. Another is 71 and is going to retire next May, but also want to work part time.