A sad feeling...

Page 3 of 3

The chairperson of the Department of Nits rears its head and states: The correct quotation is: Sir Winston Churchill, upon being chastised for ending a sentence with a proposition: "That, Madam, is a piece of pedantry up with which I will not put."
Then, however, there is the young child, in the 2nsd-floor bedroom, questioning Daddy's choice, from the bookshelves downstairs, of bed-time story book: "Why did you bring _that_ book for me to be to be read to out of up from for?"
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 00:17:35 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

A girl from New Jersey and a girl from the West Coast were seated side by side on an airplane.
The girl from New Jersey, being friendly and all, said, "So, where ya from?"
The West Coast girl said, "From a place where they know better than to use a preposition at the end of a sentence."
The girl from New Jersey sat quietly for a few moments and then replied: "So, where ya from, bitch?"

As I remember it, the book was about Australia, and the quote was more like this: "What did you bring that book which I didn't want to be read out of from about 'Down Under' up for?" I learned about in the Guiness Book of World Records.
http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxprepos.html
- Owen -

book after several sleepless nights with a teething toddler. Otherwise it'd go something like this.
"Make sure you freakin' include an apostrophe or something like that, maybe it's a comma, I don't know, but put in some damn punctuation and an ampersand, chicks really dig those, right Strunky?"
"Yeah, and adjectives. Lotsa adjectives. Stop using verbs if you must, but keep the adjectives."
"And no passive voice. God I hate the passive voice! It makes me want to break all my furniture!"
Mark, who is going to say goodnight to his son and do some turning. :)
I take it you've never heard of trolls. Maybe. Anyway, they're sad, dorks, with no social skills, and low self-esteem. They all seem to have hairy palms also.
You, apparently, must be the new group moderator. I feel confident in proclaiming that all of us have great confidence in your guidance, and leadership. That's a real interesting list of rules you have for us. I'm sure you've cleared all of them thru the Cabal. http://www.cabal.org /
There is no Cabal.
We are all waiting with unabated breath for further instructions
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green