A sad feeling...

Page 2 of 3

George E. Cawthon said:

Not with the stake I'll drive through her heart - nope - won' move an inch...
(Actually, I have no complaints, but it sounded funny.)
Greg G.

got blueprints for that pointy stick?
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 20:06:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Now, dammit - you know that JOAT is in charge of Pointy Sticks.
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote in wrote:

Don't they have google in the high and dry?

To everything - turn, turn, turn There is a season - turn, turn, turn And a time for every purpose under heaven
A time to be born, a time to die A time to plant, a time to reap A time to kill, a time to heal A time to laugh, a time to weep
To everything - turn, turn, turn There is a season - turn, turn, turn And a time for every purpose under heaven
A time to build up, a time to break down A time to dance, a time to mourn A time to cast away stones A time to gather stones together
To everything - turn, turn, turn There is a season - turn, turn, turn And a time for every purpose under heaven
A time of war, a time of peace A time of love, a time of hate A time you may embrace A time to refrain from embracing
To everything - turn, turn, turn There is a season - turn, turn, turn And a time for every purpose under heaven
A time to gain, a time to lose A time to rend, a time to sew A time to love, a time to hate A time of peace, I swear it's not too late!
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 00:16:59 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

For variable speed, do things that aggravate her more or less than usual.
Each beer you drink adds 200 rpm, each church service you go to lowers the speed 400 rpm.
Mark
Mr. Moose said:

And an extra-marital affair, I assume, is used for buffing?
Greg G.
What is particularly sad is that some people will attack you for attempting to offer advice to make this a better place. IMHO, I'd rather read 50 OT emails like this one than even *one* more political diatribe.

So who's forcing you to read the political diatribes? :-)
--
Regards,

There are political diatribes on the wreck?
Crikee! My filters work!

Doug, maybe it is the guys who are *not yet* on my killfile who insist on replying to them and thereby bringing them to view ;-)
scribbled:

Other than noting that a post about how the wreck should operate is *on-topic*, I share Groggy's sentiments.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking

nope. that sort of post should be directed to rec.woodworking.d (which doesn't exist)
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:09:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs scribbled:

Ok, let's split the group then.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking

If it's an uneven number, who gets the hair lip?

Strunk & White are rolling over in their graves. Their booklet, The Elements Of Style, is an invaluable companion to anybody trying to communicate in English.
Now I will go play with my son. Then I am going to try to figure out with which type of lathe I am going to replace my dead one.
-----------------------
From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.
(Sir Winston Churchill)
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:48:32 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

Perhaps you want some excitement. Are you going to smuggle a Griz across the border, Rob?
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that Strunk was already turning in his grave because of what White did to his book.
Still, the use of language is a moving target and we have to be a little careful about adopting a too rigid view of acceptable current usage.
I'm a Strunk and White fan but also have a Chicago Manual Of Style, an AP Style Sheet, a NY Times Style Sheet, my eighth grade grammar book, and the keening voice of Mrs. Sweet - my English Composition teacher, nattering in my ears when I try to write a lucid sentence.
They all vary in their expressions of correct usage, but usually on fairly minor, some would say, obscure, points.
I like what Hemingway said:
"Write it so it sounds nice and let the goddamned editor clean it up if you can trust him not to make a balls out of it."
He also said:
"Write drunk - edit sober".
I don't think he meant that in a literal sense - but then...

Grammar Smart, a book written by the staff of The Princeton Review, is my go-to book when I am confronted by a rogue dangling participle. Then again, The Chicago pretty much covers any and all style questions.
A few years ago, I sent out 20 copies of The Elements Of Style, as a Christmas present, to friends of mine. Most were glad to receive it, a few wanted to know "what-the-fuck was wrong with their English"

It (S+W) would be the book that I would give to people.
I don't know about the Princeton sheet but will give it a look.
Stephen King had a nice little book a couple of years ago called, "On Writing".
Say what you will about the man as a stylist, he has a deep understanding of the act of writing and the idea of clarity of expression (oh boy, that one will cost me).
He used Strunk and White in the courses that he taught when he was teaching Business English, before his rise to multinational corporate status.
S+W has a couple of things in its favor:
It is brief.
It is reasonably complete.
It is brief.
It would take a confirmed CMOS aficionado to determine if these are two or three.