A sad feeling...

Many years ago, I used to enjoy the alt.guitar.amps newsgroup. There were some incredibly helpful people there, real experts who had very useful advice that was accurate and truly helpful. It was a fun, interesting, good place to be. I enjoyed it.

A couple years later, the political crap started. Buttheads from all corners of the political table started changing the topic to goofy political arguments. It got angrier and angrier.

Now it's a wasteland. It's no fun, and I don't go there anymore. I used to share, but no more. I never posted politically there, and never will, but it was no fun to pull headers and see two on topic posts and 50 off topic posts that were mostly just people being jerks to each other.

I see that the slippery slope is here too. Here's how to avoid it.

  1. Never post off topic.

  1. Never respond to an off-topic post. People who post off-topic are looking for a reaction. If they don't get it, they try a few more times and then stop.

  2. Never try to convince someone they are wrong. Doing this on a newsgroup is like writing your message on a baseball bat and then hitting someone in the back of the head with it. Guess what - they didn't read or care about the message, they are simply mad at the jerk who hit them with the bat!!

  1. If you have to write OT on it, then you are off topic. Don't post off topic.

  2. I don't care how conservative, liberal, religious, or whatever you are. In this newsgroup, you are a woodworker. There are not any enemies in here. If you start a fight, you are just creating more anger and tension and not solving anything. You are more likely to make a difference and convert people to your way of thinking if you are first an ethical, moral, and well-behaved person inside this newsgroup, then make friends who you contact outside the newsgroup, and then have actual discussion with them. The bat won't work. Really.

6) If you write or repond to an off-topic message, don't send it right away. Walk away, then return an hour or two later. Read what you wrote. (This is the most forgotten rule of writing on the internet.) Then you will probably delete it.

Hint: Almost anybody coming to this newsgroup is looking for information or discussion about woodworking. They are not interested in politics when they access this group, but that does not mean they are uninterested, they just choose to also find information about woodworking. Even the most politially active people on any side of any argument have other interests. This is where we go for those interests.

Now I will go play with my son and figure out what type of lathe to replace my dead one with.

Mark woodturnerr, cabinet maker

Reply to
Mr. Moose

Amen!

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Oops. You just violated Rule One.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I honestly don't think a lathe could ever replace your dead son, but that's just me. Sorry for your loss.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

You're going to feel _really_ bad if you find out that he HAS one...

It made sense to me... sort of... ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I think he means that at this point in time he has a son and he has a dead lathe. He is considering which replacement tool to get for that dead lathe. However, I could be wrong.

Reply to
George Max

On 11/5/2005 11:38 AM Mr. Moose mumbled something about the following:

So, you post an Off Topic post telling us not to post Off Topic posts. Real smart.

Reply to
Odinn

You're replacing a dead son with a lathe? He'll be turning in his grave!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Now that's BAD!!! :-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

What is particularly sad is that some people will attack you for attempting to offer advice to make this a better place. IMHO, I'd rather read 50 OT emails like this one than even *one* more political diatribe.

Reply to
Groggy

You guys are sick. Now replacing a dead mother-in-law with a lathe makes sense because she'll be turning in her grave anyway.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

So who's forcing you to read the political diatribes? :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not with the stake I'll drive through her heart - nope - won' move an inch...

(Actually, I have no complaints, but it sounded funny.)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

There are political diatribes on the wreck?

Crikee! My filters work!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Doug, maybe it is the guys who are *not yet* on my killfile who insist on replying to them and thereby bringing them to view ;-)

Reply to
Groggy

To everything - turn, turn, turn There is a season - turn, turn, turn And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die A time to plant, a time to reap A time to kill, a time to heal A time to laugh, a time to weep

To everything - turn, turn, turn There is a season - turn, turn, turn And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time to build up, a time to break down A time to dance, a time to mourn A time to cast away stones A time to gather stones together

To everything - turn, turn, turn There is a season - turn, turn, turn And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time of war, a time of peace A time of love, a time of hate A time you may embrace A time to refrain from embracing

To everything - turn, turn, turn There is a season - turn, turn, turn And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time to gain, a time to lose A time to rend, a time to sew A time to love, a time to hate A time of peace, I swear it's not too late!

Reply to
Robatoy

Trying hard to decide if you are serious here and in need of a humor infusion, or if I'm the one whose missing the sarcasm in your post. ;-)

Mark & Juanita

It is humor, my humor.

The company I work for required that all departments in the office take a grammar and punctuation class. Part of it was reviewing sentences that could be interpreted more than one way. Multiple interpretations are funny.

I'm sure he means he has a lathe that needs replacing. Nobody would think a tool could replace a child.

Reply to
George Max

Ohhh... I don't know about that... Nobody??? They'll trade one for a bottle o hooch or a rock around here. Tool Junkies are addicts - right?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

For variable speed, do things that aggravate her more or less than usual.

Each beer you drink adds 200 rpm, each church service you go to lowers the speed 400 rpm.

Mark

Reply to
Mr. Moose