A sad feeling...

Page 1 of 3

Many years ago, I used to enjoy the alt.guitar.amps newsgroup. There were some incredibly helpful people there, real experts who had very useful advice that was accurate and truly helpful. It was a fun, interesting, good place to be. I enjoyed it.
A couple years later, the political crap started. Buttheads from all corners of the political table started changing the topic to goofy political arguments. It got angrier and angrier.
Now it's a wasteland. It's no fun, and I don't go there anymore. I used to share, but no more. I never posted politically there, and never will, but it was no fun to pull headers and see two on topic posts and 50 off topic posts that were mostly just people being jerks to each other.
I see that the slippery slope is here too. Here's how to avoid it.
1. Never post off topic.
2. Never respond to an off-topic post. People who post off-topic are looking for a reaction. If they don't get it, they try a few more times and then stop.
3. Never try to convince someone they are wrong. Doing this on a newsgroup is like writing your message on a baseball bat and then hitting someone in the back of the head with it. Guess what - they didn't read or care about the message, they are simply mad at the jerk who hit them with the bat!!
4. If you have to write OT on it, then you are off topic. Don't post off topic.
5. I don't care how conservative, liberal, religious, or whatever you are. In this newsgroup, you are a woodworker. There are not any enemies in here. If you start a fight, you are just creating more anger and tension and not solving anything. You are more likely to make a difference and convert people to your way of thinking if you are first an ethical, moral, and well-behaved person inside this newsgroup, then make friends who you contact outside the newsgroup, and then have actual discussion with them. The bat won't work. Really.
6) If you write or repond to an off-topic message, don't send it right away. Walk away, then return an hour or two later. Read what you wrote. (This is the most forgotten rule of writing on the internet.) Then you will probably delete it.
Hint: Almost anybody coming to this newsgroup is looking for information or discussion about woodworking. They are not interested in politics when they access this group, but that does not mean they are uninterested, they just choose to also find information about woodworking. Even the most politially active people on any side of any argument have other interests. This is where we go for those interests.
Now I will go play with my son and figure out what type of lathe to replace my dead one with.
Mark woodturnerr, cabinet maker
Amen!

<snip>

Oops. You just violated Rule One. <g>
--
Regards,

I honestly don't think a lathe could ever replace your dead son, but that's just me. Sorry for your loss.
- Owen -
Owen Lawrence said:

You're going to feel _really_ bad if you find out that he HAS one...
It made sense to me... sort of... ;-)
Greg G.

I think he means that at this point in time he has a son and he has a dead lathe. He is considering which replacement tool to get for that dead lathe. However, I could be wrong.

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 22:09:42 GMT, George Max

Trying hard to decide if you are serious here and in need of a humor infusion, or if I'm the one whose missing the sarcasm in your post. ;-)

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:17:56 -0700, Mark & Juanita

It is humor, my humor.
The company I work for required that all departments in the office take a grammar and punctuation class. Part of it was reviewing sentences that could be interpreted more than one way. Multiple interpretations are funny.
I'm sure he means he has a lathe that needs replacing. Nobody would think a tool could replace a child.
George Max said:

Ohhh... I don't know about that... Nobody??? They'll trade one for a bottle o hooch or a rock around here. Tool Junkies are addicts - right?
Greg G.

For a Few Dollars More -
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)? v=glance&n"8013&nP7846&s=hi&v=glance>
Jet 1236.
You may also want to get some opinions in rec.crafts.woodturning - everyone over there will be happy to help you spend your money.
As I have found out in this group, there is no shortage of people to spend your money!!! Brian
-- www.members.cox.net/bsnikitas "Never Underestimate The Power Of Stupid People In Large Groups!"

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 02:56:12 GMT, George Max

in need of the 'ol talk about where babies come from?

You might think about the Harbor F. version of this lathe (I think they're both the same, except HF improved it a bit (honest, I was told that)). Google Darrell Fellmate (woodturning newsgroup) for his opinion of the lathe. Hank

Yeah, I thought about that, but I took that chance. I wrote a whole bunch of stuff, disclaimers, explanations, blah blah blah, but opted instead for simplicity. If I'm going to suck humour out of someone's ambiguities, I might as well leave some of my own for someone else to fiddle with.
I can't believe anyone thought I was serious!
- Owen -
Owen Lawrence said:

Didn't think you were serious for a minute. But if he did.... :-o
Anyway, I'm always sticking my foot in my own big mouth, so who am I to say anything...
And you'll have to fiddle with your own ambiguities - this homey don't play that.
Most embarrassing story along these same lines...
Playing a game called "Half-Life" in order to demonstrate the rag-doll physics to a girl and shot one of the scientists in the head - point blank. She ran away screaming and crying. It turned out that her husband had been killed, execution style, by a couple of thugs several years earlier. Talk about feeling _low_.
Greg G.
You just violated Rule SIX.......
-- www.members.cox.net/bsnikitas "Never Underestimate The Power Of Stupid People In Large Groups!"

On 11/5/2005 11:38 AM Mr. Moose mumbled something about the following:

So, you post an Off Topic post telling us not to post Off Topic posts. Real smart.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

You're replacing a dead son with a lathe? He'll be turning in his grave!

Dave Balderstone said:

Now that's BAD!!! :-)
Greg G.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

You guys are sick. Now replacing a dead mother-in-law with a lathe makes sense because she'll be turning in her grave anyway.