A Sad Day Ahead

Page 3 of 3

We've taken to passing down the collar from our first dog to die to the ones which have followed. It's a regular 'ol, heavy leather collar but has the well-worn look of years and years of dog play. It takes a while for the new dog to grow into it, but after a short time it becomes part of them and their story while still holding fond memories of those no longer with us.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
. Just keep me and my family in your thoughts

I've read the thread, end-to end. Aside from one POS they all reflect my thoughts. My wife had to put DiDi (Dumb Dog) down while I was off on a business trip, 5000 miles away. I couldn't even hold her and say good-bye, in the oldest meaning (God be with you).
But I have to believe that that brindle lab went to a land of endless ducks, and a hunter that never misses (oh, those eyes when you miss).
The new dog awaits SWMBO's pleasure, and her transition over pain.
My thoughts, and at this moment tears, are with you. Hang tough, 'cause life is tough, but we do not have to like it at times.
Regards.
Tom
Jeff P. wrote:

There is little comfort in what others who did not know her, can say about your Mariah. The only thing I can say is that it does get better over time. Remember one thing - this is something you do FOR your pet to stop the pain - NOT something you are doing TO her.
Don
    Greetings and Salutations...
wrote:

    My sympathies for you and your family. Being a pet keeper is great - about 95% of the time. This is part of that 5% that REALLY sucks.     The fact of the matter is that, hard as it is, the most loving thing you can do is have her put down. From her point of view, she will go to sleep in the arms of her beloved owner, and the pain and discomfort will be over. From your point, hard as it is (and, having had to do this several times myself - I find myself tearing up a bit as I write this), you have given her many years of happy, fulfilled life, and have had you and your family's life enriched by her presence. The best gift you can give her now is that peaceful release.     with deepest sympathies...     Dave Mundt
Thanks Dave. I knew I'd find kindred spirits in the Wreck. It's been a couple of days now and already the hurt has dimminished somewhat (which even makes me feel worse!). The sound of her last breath will bring tears to me for the rest of my life. I feel sorry for people that don't understand this bond.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

Amen, Jeff. It's their loss.