A Sad Day Ahead

Thank you JT.

Reply to
Jeff P.

Thank you Roger. Even now, we are laughing (and crying at the same time) about Mariah. She was such a lover and such a damm clumsy dog that you couldn't help but laugh about her. I remember when we had her out in the boat while we were doing a bit of fishing and she was just lazily dipping her paw in the water. All of a sudden she fell overboard and we had to hoist her back in. She'll be a tough act to follow but we will get another. One dog just isn't enough.

Reply to
Jeff P.

You do understand completely Ken. We all know when we get a dog that this day will come but it doesn't make it any easier. The 12 years of joy and fun we've had still outweigh the pain. Thanks.

Reply to
Jeff P.

I certainly can appreciate your pain. In my family, my mother would have left me behind during hurricane evacuations before one of our critters would be left. We get them as puppies (or kittens) and we keep them until the day they die, warts or no.

I've buried two dogs and a cat over the years and felt like I lost part of myself with each one. I waited over ten years before I allowed myself another pet after the cat died; now I have a dog that I can't picture life without. And yet, at some point I will have to. Since she's just two and I'm 51, maybe I'll croak before she does.

Anyway, sorry for your impending loss.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Sorry to hear of your pain.

....Dan

Reply to
Dan Jefferson

I know what you're going through. Our Shepherd was diagnosed with cancer about four years ago. We felt the earth crumbling underneath us.

Fortunately, I was able to afford some rather expensive treatments and we managed to beat the odds. She lived for another 3 1/2 years. But she still had sporatic problems caused by the radiation treatments.

And yet, even though we managed to hold onto her (with a nice high quality of life) for several more years, her death - when it did come - was again a terrible pain to bear.

Being a doggie lover myself, I feel for you and you have my most heartfelt sympathy.

Jack

Jeff P. wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Many of you

We had to have our dog put to sleep earlier this week, so we know what you're going through. Losing a family member is never easy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Web Site:

David Starr
.

I feel your pain and loss. As an avid hunter I have had many dogs over the years, all have been Field Breed English Setters. It still hurts as bad as when I was 12 and lost the first one. We put down Ernie this past Ju;y he came down with cancer of the roof of his mouth. He was never much of a hunter but he was part of the family and always greeted us with more love then we knew how to give him. You are in are prayers

Ed

Reply to
amazed

Jeff -

My deepest sympathies to you. I'm 69 years young and I've been in your position too many times to remember. Of my current pet family, two are in the 18 - 20 year old class. I'm looking at going through it yet again. It does not get any easier. Just know that you gave them love as unconditionally as they gave it to you. The body may be gone but the spirit will be with you forever.

This I know to be true.

My best -

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

Jeff, I sympathize. Making the necessary choice if difficult, even when you know the right answer.

That may be true, but it misses the point. For those of us who have the privilege of experiencing dogs as part of our families, the grief is real. Yes, we know from the moment we bring a puppy into our homes that the life span is shorter than people, but they still touch our hearts.

BF - it sounds to me like you have never really experienced the joy of sharing your life with a four footed companion. I hope that you have this wonderful opportunity at some point.

Reply to
Robert L. Haar

It's over. Mariah went peacefully with my wife and I at her side. I thank all of you so very much for your heartfelt stories and condolences. I'm sorry to be so dang mushy but our love for this beautiful animal was deep. As with other of life's tragedies we'll survive and come next summer probably get another Golden. One thing's for sure, however, that puppy will have some mighty big shoes to fill.

Thank you all so much.

Reply to
Jeff P.

. Just keep me and my family in your thoughts

I've read the thread, end-to end. Aside from one POS they all reflect my thoughts. My wife had to put DiDi (Dumb Dog) down while I was off on a business trip, 5000 miles away. I couldn't even hold her and say good-bye, in the oldest meaning (God be with you).

But I have to believe that that brindle lab went to a land of endless ducks, and a hunter that never misses (oh, those eyes when you miss).

The new dog awaits SWMBO's pleasure, and her transition over pain.

My thoughts, and at this moment tears, are with you. Hang tough, 'cause life is tough, but we do not have to like it at times.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Banes

No problem. As you have seen, there are many people on here that understand. It helps to talk about it.

It will, too. Every pet it different but they become a part of the family in no time.

Reply to
CW

There is little comfort in what others who did not know her, can say about your Mariah. The only thing I can say is that it does get better over time. Remember one thing - this is something you do FOR your pet to stop the pain - NOT something you are doing TO her.

Don

Reply to
D. J.

Amen!!

Reply to
Joseph Connors

I think life's losses hardens some people to the point of not feeling truly loving and caring for others - or by others - much less for an animal. For the rest of us, losses allow us to more deeply and emotionally connect to others and such creatures as dogs and cats - beyond mere ownership of an animal.

In our household, our animals have brought us much joy and humor; have taught us about caring for those unable to care for themselves; have forced us to make life and death decisions for family we love; have taught us; even frustrated and angered us. The positives have always outweighed the negatives.

The folks who have children will remember the times when their young son or daughter would immediately run to greet them with arms outstretched, a smile from ear to ear, and a full body, to-the-core hug. Sharing our lives with dogs is much the same - a 4 year old who never outgrows the spontaneous outpouring of affection and joy at seeing you.

Our back yard is the resting spot for 3 of our dear dogs - unfortunately, a 4th will likely be joining the others before next summer. My thoughts are with you and your family, Jeff - I know it's hard.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

We've taken to passing down the collar from our first dog to die to the ones which have followed. It's a regular 'ol, heavy leather collar but has the well-worn look of years and years of dog play. It takes a while for the new dog to grow into it, but after a short time it becomes part of them and their story while still holding fond memories of those no longer with us.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

My sympathies for you and your family. Being a pet keeper is great - about 95% of the time. This is part of that 5% that REALLY sucks. The fact of the matter is that, hard as it is, the most loving thing you can do is have her put down. From her point of view, she will go to sleep in the arms of her beloved owner, and the pain and discomfort will be over. From your point, hard as it is (and, having had to do this several times myself - I find myself tearing up a bit as I write this), you have given her many years of happy, fulfilled life, and have had you and your family's life enriched by her presence. The best gift you can give her now is that peaceful release. with deepest sympathies... Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Thanks Dave. I knew I'd find kindred spirits in the Wreck. It's been a couple of days now and already the hurt has dimminished somewhat (which even makes me feel worse!). The sound of her last breath will bring tears to me for the rest of my life. I feel sorry for people that don't understand this bond.

Reply to
Jeff P.

Thank you Owen. Words like yours make my pain more bearable. We both seem to think alike in that the accute pain we feel at time like this is fair pay for the years of happiness that a good dog can bring too us. Doesn't make it any easier though. I came to bed the night before last (my wife and other dog were long asleep) and I just sat on the floor where Mariah used to lay. Tears filled my eyes as I remembered the lick of the hand she would give me each night that would now never be... the little arogant "woof" she would give me when my wife wouldn't take her to bed when SHE wanted to go... the way my Springer would let her be dominant when playing even though she was too weak to play very hard near the end.... what a dog she was. I will see her again.

Reply to
Jeff P.