A Sad Day Ahead

Page 2 of 3

bf wrote:

cold hearted "SOB", but you are an uneducated one, as well. Throwing away a pet like a tool? I've sat in the vet's office while my 15 year old dog was euthanized. That moment is seared into my memory, as well as the rest of our family. You are INDEED, a cold hearted individual. I find nothing wrong with the OP posting about his grief. He felt he had a safe place to share his feelings, and then along comes a twit like you to try to minimize his feelings. Since you lack any empathy, it will be interesting to see how others in your life react during your time of need. Rest assured, you WILL face disappoints and sadness. Maybe it won't be over a pet, but SOMETHING will affect you. Do you want others to do to you what you've done to the OP? Shame!
Dave
"Just keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers. "
and they are.
Anyone that has lost a pet, you might want to check out: <http://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/animals/petloss/
Disclaimer: Not with'em, don't sell for'em...just passing on information.
best of luck,
Darwin

Every one of us who are "dog people", and who have had to make that phone call, know exactly what you're going through. It's tough, but you have to do what's right to stop her from hurting.
"Sheba" was a great dog - at age 15, though, she was just wore out, and the time had come to make that phone call. The vet came out to the house, maybe yours will do that also. I think it was easier on her that she died in _her_ chair, with a milk-bone in her mouth.
Hang in there. It gets better, eventually.
Dave Hinz

If your vet will let you, be there for the end. Our vet made a house call for our Golden, and rubbing her ears as she got the shot, and seeing how peaceful the end was gave me great comfort. With our current dog, I would do it sooner to spare him some of the pain that our Golden experienced in her last week.

Look, cheer up!! I'm an old grisel'd Special Forces master sergeant, and a life long cat man.., but a dog has been there sleeping with the herd several times. Thinking in military terms, the saga of the resurrection is that we will be raised from the dead and live again.., and not only live, but reign as Rulers over any number of "cities." When I must "put to sleep" one my children, or have died in the line of duty.., I extend the same promise to them that God has extended to me..! That wherever I wind up, they shall also be there in the future as I will have the power and authority to "make it so." It seems to help knowing we will see and love each other again.., and they will run, leap, and jump with the joy of renewal, and youth!! So cheer up.., hold your eyes straight and do what has to be done. When my Maincoon Teddy got kidney problems and was suffering so much.., he understood what hed to be done..! I gave him a full military burial in the backyard right where he used to lay and guard his territory! Now he is waiting quitly swishing his tail for that blessed day of renewal..!! That's been my standing general order for Stinky, Tonya, Teddy, Poncho, Tina, Emily, King Henry.., and myself.. for our team reunion to come!!
May His peace be with you..., and toughen up.., get'n old ain't for sissies!!
LOL. That actually does help me. I like your attitude. I've had people laugh at me when I tell them that I believe God will bring us all together again when our lives end but to hell with them. I do believe I'll be with them again and that does indeed make it somewhat better. This too shall pass but for now... ah hell.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

Jeff,
You certainly have my thoughts and prayers.
We lost our Golden about 15 years ago (and two other dogs in the meantime). Our vet knew his name long before he could remember ours! In time, the pain will lessen, and you'll remember the happy times. We still laugh about some of the things they all used to do.
Hang in there, and take care ...
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
Thank you JT.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com
Dear Jeff,
    I still cry at times for my Golie Girl who died 15 months ago. Her social anxiety matched mine and we were soul mates. I miss all of my past dog even though I have two great dogs now. You and yours have my thoughts, sympathies, and prayers.
Peace, Roger Haar
********************************************** "Jeff P." wrote:

Thank you Roger. Even now, we are laughing (and crying at the same time) about Mariah. She was such a lover and such a damm clumsy dog that you couldn't help but laugh about her. I remember when we had her out in the boat while we were doing a bit of fishing and she was just lazily dipping her paw in the water. All of a sudden she fell overboard and we had to hoist her back in. She'll be a tough act to follow but we will get another. One dog just isn't enough.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com
Hi Jeff I know how bad it is when you lose a friend like Mariah, and I totally understand the depth of feeling. I lost my GR Chance just over a year ago under remarkably similar circumstances. After 10 1/2 healthy years he suddenly could no longer hold down any food. The vet did what he could but surgery revealed cancer and the Dr put him to sleep while I was with him. I cried as if I was eight yrs old again ,when I lost my first dog . Your Mariah reminds me of what a great friend Chance was as I am sure Mariah has been to you. I still miss the damn dog, but have been blessed with 10 yrs of wonderful memories . My thoughts go out to you and Mariah as you say farewell . Ken ...... through tears and with a smile... god damn dogs people beware never give to a dog your heart to tear - R Kipling
You do understand completely Ken. We all know when we get a dog that this day will come but it doesn't make it any easier. The 12 years of joy and fun we've had still outweigh the pain. Thanks.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com
Jeff P. wrote:

I certainly can appreciate your pain. In my family, my mother would have left me behind during hurricane evacuations before one of our critters would be left. We get them as puppies (or kittens) and we keep them until the day they die, warts or no.
I've buried two dogs and a cat over the years and felt like I lost part of myself with each one. I waited over ten years before I allowed myself another pet after the cat died; now I have a dog that I can't picture life without. And yet, at some point I will have to. Since she's just two and I'm 51, maybe I'll croak before she does.
Anyway, sorry for your impending loss.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Sorry to hear of your pain.
....Dan
I know what you're going through. Our Shepherd was diagnosed with cancer about four years ago. We felt the earth crumbling underneath us.
Fortunately, I was able to afford some rather expensive treatments and we managed to beat the odds. She lived for another 3 1/2 years. But she still had sporatic problems caused by the radiation treatments.
And yet, even though we managed to hold onto her (with a nice high quality of life) for several more years, her death - when it did come - was again a terrible pain to bear.
Being a doggie lover myself, I feel for you and you have my most heartfelt sympathy.
Jack
Jeff P. wrote:

Many of you

We had to have our dog put to sleep earlier this week, so we know what you're going through. Losing a family member is never easy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
.

I feel your pain and loss. As an avid hunter I have had many dogs over the years, all have been Field Breed English Setters. It still hurts as bad as when I was 12 and lost the first one. We put down Ernie this past Ju;y he came down with cancer of the roof of his mouth. He was never much of a hunter but he was part of the family and always greeted us with more love then we knew how to give him. You are in are prayers
Ed

My deepest sympathies to you. I'm 69 years young and I've been in your position too many times to remember. Of my current pet family, two are in the 18 - 20 year old class. I'm looking at going through it yet again. It does not get any easier. Just know that you gave them love as unconditionally as they gave it to you. The body may be gone but the spirit will be with you forever.
This I know to be true.
My best -
Vic
It's over. Mariah went peacefully with my wife and I at her side. I thank all of you so very much for your heartfelt stories and condolences. I'm sorry to be so dang mushy but our love for this beautiful animal was deep. As with other of life's tragedies we'll survive and come next summer probably get another Golden. One thing's for sure, however, that puppy will have some mighty big shoes to fill.
Thank you all so much.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

No problem. As you have seen, there are many people on here that understand. It helps to talk about it.

It will, too. Every pet it different but they become a part of the family in no time.