A rub glue joint with a LV BU jack plane

I was working some tiger maple that my 607 Bedrock wouldn't work because it was lifting the grain and tearing out. I put the 50 degree iron in my LV BU Jack Plane and was able to achieve a rub fit glue joint.

I really like the low center of gravity on that plane. It fast becoming my preferred plane. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Bevel ups are becoming my favorites, period!

I like the easy changes that you describe, and the lack of fiddling with chip breakers, movable frogs, etc...

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Thanaks for the info on that. I've also got the Lee Valley Bevel Up Jack, and was wondering about how well the 50 degree blade works with difficult grain.

It really is a nicely engineered tool. The ability to swap blades in and out easily is big win. I also like the way everything else adjusts easily on it as well. I've been using it for dimensioning some small stock that I've milled on my bandsaw, and for the first time I'm finding it both fun and easy to actually get things squared up.

Lee Valley also did the right thing by making it possible to swap blades around between the smoother, jack and jointer. I don't have the smoother or jointer yet--but I will soon. :)

Reply to
Michael Faurot