a reminder what all the limeys on the group are missing ,

You trying to tell us that "McDonald's food" is an oxymoron?(R,D&G)
--
Nahmie
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Yep, on my left I have my wife, she can eat a clotted cream tea, with just the cream, no jam, no butter and still want more! I rather like it on my cornflakes too!

Think of fruit jelly with soft sponge cake segments soaked with sherry, cream and custard over...Lovely.

Niel.

A great way to get rid of stale cake during and just after the war [or any time for that matter.] We also had stale bread soaked in hot milk before bed-time. We were kids. We thought it was food.

In Glasgow in the forties and fifties, we used to call them "saps". Don't forget the sprinkle of sugar.
Gerry

OK, I'll bite [I usually avoid OT stuff, and have even objected to some of it, but this is a bit of fun...]
Boiled bacon is better for you healthwise. North Americans fry theirs until it's crispier than potato chips ["crisps"] and tastes burnt. Also, a much more noteable difference: British bacon has actual meat on it, not just layers of fat packaged with a tiny thin strip of red, lined together to make it look solid. Americans try to imitate with "English Style" bacon. Better, but not even close. So, boiling when you have real meat makes sense. Otherwise, you have to disguise the look and the taste.
Re Boiling: You boil a good pot roast, and good farmer's sausage and so on. You can brown the latter after boiling, in a little grease; or toast on the BBQ after pre-boiling as well.
Fried bread soaks up the natural grease from a meat product. Contrary to what has been said in the past [ and "they" are now changing their minds] fat is good to eat and is good for flavour. As with all things don't overdo it. Vitamins are fat-soluble, so by using old bread to soak up the fat from fried products nothing is wasted. As with all things, just don't overdo it, and as with some it's an acquired taste.
I live now in an area where if it isn't steak or roast, it isn't meat. I enjoy the other products, some considered delicacies, and get them mostly for free when I ask for them. Life is good to the patient.
<snip>

Yum! You mean stuff like veal sweetbreads, etc., right?
Risking a small flame war, fresh pork liver, always on the supper menu on butchering day. I know many don't like liver at all, especially pork. When living in Indianapolis in early '60's, pork liver was "dirt cheap" what with all the hog farming in the Midwest, and also because many felt it was only fit for our brethren of the darker complexion. Living on a tight budget during apprenticeship, SWMBO & I enjoyed it. Still do when I can get it. Beef tongue and heart, boiled & sliced in sandwiches, or pickled for tatty tidbits. Of course, it never seemed to get completely pickled because "people" couldn't wait, kept dipping in for samples.
--
Nahmie

My sentiments exactly. OT can be fun. We talk all kinds of sh*t in my shop, not just wood. I just don't participate in topics like religion, politics, my ex, simply because I know I'm right and everybody else is wrong..*G*
mike hide wrote:

According to some, English cuisine is proof England never experienced famine. Those cultures with the most 'interesting' cuisine are those who had to resort to eating unusual food.
Evidently Norway never had a famine either...
--

FF

"MMmmm, lutefish."

Might be living for a while on a farm in the UK ,when an animal is slaughtered nothing went to waste including the blood [black pudding] or the feet [pickled trotters} the latter a favorite at the race tracks........mjh
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

The vaunted French sauces were first developed to cover the taste of meat going bad, pre-refrigeration days (way, way pre-), or so I have been told.

I have been told that the water was so bad the french developed the wine industry . This again is probably untrue as wines were most likely introduced by the Romans . Many italians will tell you the french cusine originated in northern Italy.
Funny but in the UK we have a quite large snails ,called locally roman snails . Again supposidly introduced by the romans for their "escargot"

...ah, kind of along the same lines and lineage as French perfume then. :-)
Date: Thu, Aug 11, 2005, 3:34pm snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (mikehide) did post something:
Ran across this posting something else. Never spent any real time in England, tho did go thru Scotland. Very nice, what little I saw of it. Did spend consideralbe time with Brits in Thaiiland, along with some Aussies, and Kiwis. Good people.
When you're playing darts, and drinking beer, shandys can extend your playing time considerably. Taste good too. And, enjoyed many a shepherd's pie.
JOAT My son is an HONOR TEENAGER at the county jail. - Seen on a bumpr sticker