a reminder what all the limeys on the group are missing ,

Page 2 of 3

<snip>

And what, I'd like to know, is wrong with head cheese?(Good homemade head cheese, that Is). Been some comments here about farm use of pigs, one old saying is they "use everything but the squeal". True! Grandad would bring washtubs & take entrails to friends in town who cleaned them to use for natural sausage casing. When we had trimmed the skull of everything useable, hang it in the henhouse & let the chickens peck at it.
--
Nahmie

Had a few relatives who loved the stuff. My parents and grandparents were not of that persuasion.

My grandparents did similar things, but there were some things that got used for more mundane things such as dog food.
What annoys the living p*iss out of me is the way ALL countries seem to treat "ethnic" food from other countries. In the UK for example they will take a true American dish and then customize it so that it's more to the palates of the Brits - and STILL call it "authentic" American fare. (Only in England would they put sweet corn on pizza.) Same thing in the USA - remember Arthur Treacher's REAL English fish and chips? Nothing like real! Even McDonalds is guilty. I've had them in USA, England, Sweden, France, Lebanon, Finland, Spain - they all taste different to each other.
FoggyTown
foggytown (in snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| What annoys the living p*iss out of me is the way ALL countries | seem to treat "ethnic" food from other countries
Just goes to show that if you want /really/ good <ethnic> food, it helps a lot if it's been prepared by a talented <ethnic>.
One of my happiest discoveries was that people in every part of the planet have found ways to make whatever's available in their immediate vicinity into dishes that everyone can enjoy.
Morris Dovey wrote:

Doesn't make much difference. London is filled with Indian restaurants staffed by Indians who haven't been in the country long enough for the fingerprints they made at the immigration center to have dried - and they still turn out food that nobody from Mumbai or Calcutta would recognize.
FoggyTown

I thought Chinese food was what you bought in an all-you-can-eat restaurant. Then a Chinese friend invited me over for a meal. It's like day is to night.

Yup...no different than Italian pizza. Here and there...night and day.
One of my weaknesses is fish & chips. Local fish, local potatoes and different oils (like horse-fat in Spa, Belgium).
I will try and eat most anything but I draw the line at piss/blood filters from any animal. Yet I like a bit of braunschweiger once in a while. I like 'smarties' (small calf brains, battered and deep-fried). I will NOT eat 'zwezerik' (a pig's dick...I mean..HOW f*ucking hungry does one have to be???) Sick bastards, those Dutch.
I do eat smoked eel (farm-grown in Holland). Will NOT eat lobster they're the cockroaches of the ocean and look the part BLECH!
... snip

Interesting tidbit -- apparently the early colonists shared your view of lobsters. Lobster was what they fed prisoners.
OTOH, lobster is probably one of the best meats, IMHO, I have ever had the opportunity to eat. Properly prepared, served with melted butter, rich, sweet, -- I'm in heaven :-)

Don't know where your translation came from, but Googling confirms my recollection that zwezerik is thymus. Another translation calls it seweetbread(s).
Not that this born Dutchman would really eat thymus in this day and age of AIDS and mad cow disease ...
OTOH, kidneys in my recollection can be very nice, especially when I remember what my friend looked like when we explained what those "champignons" really were. Oh, those were the good days in the '60s at college (Utrecht).
--
Best regards
Han

What does AIDS have to do with it? I'm not really up on mad cow disease, but wouldn't proper cooking pretty much destroy any possibility of that being transferred to a consumer? IIRC, sweetbreads(at least from veal or beef) are a gland from the neck of the animal. I must presume that they would be pretty much the same thing from a pig. In this day & age, we never see them unless from home butchered meat.
The old story about kidneys goes - - "To prepare kidney, first you put them in a pot and boil the p*ss out of them". Never had the privilege of kidney or "mountain oysters", but have been told they are quite tasty. I can verify that sweetbreads are extremely tasty, just not very much of them in one small calf.
--
Nahmie
Norman D. Crow wrote:

Nothing.
No.
'Mad Cow' (Bovine APongiform Encephalopathy, BSE), Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, Kuru, Scrapies, and a few other related diseases are caused by a protein, not a virus or bacteria. To cook meat to the point where is safe from transmiting those, you would have to cook it until the protein is destroyed, by which point it would no longer be meat. Not much point to eating charcoal briquettes. Some parts of the cow are especially high risk, the brains or any part of the nervous system and the intestine. Hot Dogs are high risk foods for BSE because they not only have protein from pretty much all parts of the cow, but also have proteins from many different cows in the same sausage. Yummm!.

I don't see any information on a porcine varient, which seems odd considering that pigs and people have been eating each other for millennia.
--

FF

<snip>

I stand corrected.
The movie "The Great Outdoors" with John Candy & Dan Akroyd - - "You know what hot dogs are made of? "xxxxxxxx and a**holes".(Sorry, don't remember all of the quote.)
I'm not all that particular, I'll eat most any of the better hot dogs from the store, but SWMBO is particular, she only wants "Smiths natural casing", a top grade one from this area. To echo you - - Yummm!
--
Nahmie
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:43:19 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"

Sweetbreads are to my understanding the 'balls', 'nuts' otherwise known as testicles of an animal. Very tasty.

In America known as mountain oysters..........

Nope. Pancreas, basically, though Thymus permitted.

Sweetbreads are the Thymus gland, only found in young animals. Including humans.
Sometimes, the pancreas is sold as "Large Sweetbreads" but it's not the same thing.

The Thymus gland doesn't disappear when the animal gets older. So older mammals have the Thymus gland as well.
http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/how_to/food_dictionary/entry?idH34

The above reference says young calves are best.
writes:

That is not how they are defined on the web .try googling sweetbreads
foggytown wrote:

That because its mass produced and pre-packaged in manchester...

I thought you were talking about food. "McDonald's" and "food" are NEVER to be used in the same conversation. It's the law, you know.
Gerry