a reminder what all the limeys on the group are missing ,

Page 1 of 3

A reminder what all the limeys on the group are missing ,decent beer and pork pies
http://www.blogjam.com/pork /

Yeah. But they've got Bangers and Mash!
Norm
In article

Yup, and Pigs-in-a-blanket and MY all-time fave rave: EEL PIE!!
At a B&B in Cambridge, I was offered boiled bacon, fried bread and boiled coffee.
Somehow 'British' and 'food' don't go in the same sentence.
(Funny thing though..some huge world-wide restaurant expert/rating outfit declared a London restaurant best in the world...go figgur)
Robatoy wrote:

Must be French cuisine...     drool,     jo4hn
Robatoy wrote:

Kind of reminds me of "Home Cooking" in Texas. The memories are not the best. lol
Not to say that Texas doesn't have great restaurants, but I always seemed to be on the road and stopped at the greasy spoons. :-) Even sopped at one in Crawford -- then a few weeks later I saw a picture of some "famous guy" getting coffee at the same Fina gas station. Apparently he liked it -- once was enough for me...

The Fat Duck in Berkshire, IS the best restaurant in the world.
The menu includes, snail porridge, sardine-on-toast sorbet, scrambled egg-flavoured ice cream, salmon poached with liquorice, mango and douglas fir puree, Leather-Oak and Tobacco Chocolates, to name but a few....
Just a tad better than, Macdonalds, Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Hot dogs, which of course is good wholesome, nutritious food!!!!!
Give me marshmallows and ice cream dipped in liquid nitrogen any day....
Graham p.s. This post IS on topic....
[snipperized for brevity]

yes... the Douglas fir puree sneaks it by *G*

Just because we have the worst food [according to some ] it goes to prove we take it seriously.
I hope you had lots of ketchup on your fried bread. thats part of the mystry of it....mjh
"mike hide" wrote in message

I don't know about that: clotted cream from Devon; English mustard on ham; steak and kidney pie/pudding, with a pint of the best beer in the world; a good trifle; excellent sherry always at hand; bacon cut the way bacon was intended; chips way better than most current yanks have ever tasted, seasoned with vinegar and salt... a lot of things you POME's do better than most in the food department. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05

What? You've got back-bacon? Been importing some of it from our Canadian supply have you?
"Upscale" wrote in message

I've often though it strange that Americans, and in particular Southerners, are under the mistaken notion that they have the best/hardiest breakfast's in the world.
Give me a good English breakfast with bacon, sausages, eggs and fried bread ANY day!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05
Swingman wrote:

Nah, have a scottish one with black and white pudding added too. And don't forget the fried porridge!

bread
Well, if I was in the habit of eating all that fried food, if the inevitable cholesterol attack left me alive, my doctor would surely finish me off during my next check-up.
"Upscale" wrote in message

inevitable
I wouldn't make a habit of it, but It's definitely one of the things I plan on indulging in, albeit briefly, on an anticipated trip to see my new, and only, grandson in Sheffield.
Trust me, it is far from my usual fare of two eggs, fried in olive oil, and the two pieces of zapped turkey bacon that I have every morning ... but I can still dream.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05

Nope, best breakfast in the world is the kippers and eggs in Gander, Newfoundland. Worth calling in a mistaken emergency to land in the morning rather than fly by.
"George" wrote in message

morning
Forgot about kippers ... after living in a house for a full year in Hounslow with them being cooked every morning, it's hard to believe you could forget ... every cat on the block showed up.
But you're right, they are good.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05

OK, dead serious now ... Not Newfoundland, but close ... One of the BEST cookbooks you'll find anywhere for simple but delicious is called "Out of old Nova Scotia kitchens." Buy it, or dig it out of the library.
[snipperectomized]

Just had 2 weeks of that. Mostly seafood-based with some salt pork thrown in. A LOT of haddock, clams, mussles, and scallops. My wife's brothers are still fishermen on the Digby Neck. The only way to eat it any fresher, is to dive over the side and take a bite under water.
Kippers? That's a frickin' herring. Used for bait in the lobster business. Now, 'Hollandse Nieuwe' herring, wee young ones, straight out of the North Sea, caught, cleaned, dragged through a few diced onions, straight down the gullet, uncooked...now you're talking. An uncle of mine flew from Canada to Holland many times just when the new catch of the year would come in. Mind you, that was all pre oil-drilling-platforms..... The only thing floating in the North Sea at that time were Radio Veronica and Radio Caroline.. pirate stations.

You're kidding here, right? Or you really do like rotten cream?

I could probably get down with this

uhh, if you say so

Not sure what a trifle is exactly

I suppose it's sweet sherry too, huh? :-(

Based upon your previous praises, I'm not sure that this is high praise

Now you're just being silly. What psychopath came up with the idea that vinegar was a great flavoring for chips? [bleah! ... and again I say bleah!]

Bet you like head cheese and blood sausage too.
Different strokes I guess.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

It's what follows after a man who has had one pint too many leaves the pub with a tart.
--

FF