A really ugly effect on end grain for an arts and crafts dresser

I have a grain problem that I would like the newsgroup's opinion on. I have an arts & crafts dresser that is in quartersawn oak. The problem is that the edge of the top has a really UGLY grain figure. Yea, I should have done something in my choice, but I did not realize how bad it would turn out. My chest of drawers ...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/finisheddresser004.jpg
did not show this up in the same way. This is the dresser. It has just been stained, but I am willing to do some drastic things if necessary.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/Dresserstainedbeforefinish00 1.jpg
I would like to get your opinion on it. I have pointed to pictures of the arts and crafts dresser. As I said, the wood is quarter sawn and I was able to get the quarter sawn edge on almost every area, but the top edge shows plain sawn. Worse yet, when it got stained, it gives the appearance of the stain running.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/panaramaoftopedgeofdesser.jp g
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/Dresserstainedbeforefinish00 9.jpg
My question is:
Is there a finishing solution (possibly to de-accent the grain) Should I bite the bullet and take the top off and attach a quarter sawn edge?
Eric Anderson
I would attach a quartersawn edge. Overall great job however.
I would leave it alone. I don't think the work required to "really fix it" would be worth the time involved. Wood is not perfect.

"Eric Anderson" wrote in message

have
done
My
Damn, Bubba ... beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder. The contrast is gorgeous to my way of thinking. I do it on purpose just to get that look.
Besides, if you mess with it, Joat's gonna have to be placating the ww gods again, and he's getting cranky in his old age.
In short, leave it alone! You'll be glad you did.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

If anything, redo the edge. The problem is that YOU know that this isn't what you wanted, and it's likely going to bug you.
The first table I did, a small nightstand, has the same problem with one of the legs. It's in the guest room, tucked in a corner, hiding.
Patriarch
I see that I may have a problem with the length of the URL. I hope that this will correct it.
dresser
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/Dresserstained1.jpg
showing edge
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/desserstained2.jpg
showing closeup of edge
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/Dresserstained3.jpg
Eric Anderson wrote:

I have

that
have done

out. My

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/finisheddresser004.jpg
just
necessary.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/Dresserstainedbeforefinish00
of the

was able

shows
of the

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/panaramaoftopedgeofdesser.jp
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/Dresserstainedbeforefinish00
sawn
On 10 Feb 2005 12:37:18 -0800, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake:

It did. Throw your pigment stain away NOW, Eric. Karma has spoken. ;)
Try fuming and waxing next time. If you must stain, try an aniline dye. www.wdlockwood.com They give free shipping on your first order and I hear that their prices are half that of other stores.
--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Eric Anderson wrote:

Eric, the dresser is beautiful. I wouldn't do a thing. That's the natural grain pattern on the quarter sawn oak.
I am building a mantel our of quarter sawn oak and have been trying to get the color of finish similar to what you have here. Would you mind describing what stain you used, the method of application, and your sanding procedure. I have been sanding to 220 and everytime I wipe the excess stain, dye, gel off, it leaves the wood too light. To get it to a deeper color, I have had to not wipe off hardly any and I am concerned that when I apply the top coat, it will loosen the stain and ruin the finish.
David
Well, I tried an idea I was given. I used some paste wood filler and sanded it down. Here is the result. Ordinarily, I am TRYING to accent the grain, but in this instance, as was stated above, I want a dye stain look on this edge only. Using filler does that.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/eganders/fillertest002.jpg
Eric
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

accent
LEAVE IT ALONE! Every time you "correct" a natural flaw in wood you move a step closer to pvc-covered, flat-packed, self-assembly shit. Is that what you want?
FoggyTown
Not to sugges tthat you hcange the dresser now but the way to prevent this next time is to bevel the front edge of the top piece and glue on a separate strip with a right-triangular cross-section and quarter-sawn grain showing on the part that will be seen. Here is an attempt at illustrating with ASCII art, which should be viewed with a non-proportionate font:
Stickly did something like this with his square pieces, making each from four right-triangular sections so that the quarter-sawn grain showed on all four faces.
If you are good with artist's oil paints, or know someone who is you could paint fuax quarter sawn grain on the edge in question.
BTW, that's not an end-grain effect that is bothering you, is is a side-grain effect, to be accurate.
--

FF

Well, you are all on the money. The approach of putting a quarter sawn edge on it would be the way to go. I did use the paste wood filling technique and if it went any further, Foggytown would hit the nail on the head. It is real close now to being too subdued. I am going to complete it as is.