A really cool day is a wooddorker's life...

Page 3 of 3

The commercialization efforts, for a number of reasons, didn't go too well. There are no current efforts to exploit this resource on a commercial scale. Hundreds of thousands of board feet already harvested were sold at significant loss, and diverted into lower value use. It's a shame, as it makes great flooring, and I could use 1500 sq ft or so...
The lumber country is one of the most highly politicized areas, per capita, in the state. It seems extremely difficult to have a rational, moderate discourse between parties. The fact that there are large numbers of counter-culture cannabis growers out in the backwoods seems to be a factor as well...
Patriarch
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:57:01 GMT, patriarch

Man, you drove all the way up 101 to Bragg? That's a long, long trip. I did it a couple years ago from the northern end, then hit I-5 back.

I hit fog on the coast and we waited in it for half an hour while the road crew (constantly making the Coast Highway safe all year) played their paving games. It's a beautiful area in the clear.

So was this a trip to a friend's shop or an actual class you took there, Glenn? (Cool either way.)

That's the way to buy lumber. You suck. (Whatever the price.)

Is O'Deen still miffed at them?

I stopped at the drive-through redwood tree in Willits but my truck was too wide to go through without taking the mirrors off. A Toyota pickemup made it and a Queen Vic made it with 1 less usable mirror. Those are good tunes for the most part. (I don't know about Lovett 'cuz I haven't heard much of his music at all. 1 movie tune?) I took that road from Willits to the coast at full speed. THAT was fun. A few cars that were on it let two of us pass and we played the corners all the way. I probably lost about 1,000 miles worth of tread on that run, but it was a real blast.

Heh heh heh.

That's a Roger, Over.
--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.
----------------------------------

Up: 101 to Cloverdale, 128 to the coast along the Navarro River, then up 1 to Ft. Bragg. Back: 20 to Willits, 101 south to Petaluma, then over to Martinez via 37. I-5 seems out of the way, unless one is headed to Rogue River area. ;-) And I-5 is just a super-slab, anyway.

Classes run six days. I haven't put together the time or cash simultaneously to take the class yet. Green wood chairmaking. http://www.mendocinofurniture.com/stalzer.html Great guy. Quite a character, and quite a craftsperson.

I have no idea. It's not my business. I only know O'Deen in cyberspace, and pretty much just by reputation there. Although it is a substantial reputation...

Lyle Lovett's lyrics would fit your sense of humour and irony. Particularly some of the older stuff. A unique mix of Texas swing, blues, some gospel, and big band. It sounds better than it describes. And Lyle is living proof that not all music stars are pretty boys. He's rather Dylanesque.

You're one of the folks whose way I get out of.
Patriarch
Did you stop at the Highlight Gallery in Mendocino? max

Not this trip. We went in May, though. Great way to spend a couple of hours.
Patriarch
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:55:28 GMT, patriarch

I love the one about his girl leaving on the bus, and all the shit that happens to him when he's trying to stop her.. reminds me a little of Arlo Guthry..
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:55:28 GMT, patriarch

I headed up I-5 to O-38 to the coast at Reedsport (I hadn't seen that section of Oregon yet), then down 101 to C-20 to Bragg, back to 101 from Mendocino, down to Santa Rosa where I got a grand tour of Ed's cool steam/machine/woodworking/robotics shop (Hi, Ed!), and on down to Mom's in Valley Jo (aka Vallejo).
I left at 5am for the return trip and went straight up I-5 to avoid the ghastly summer heat. It had been 100+ on 101. My next truck will have A/C, P/W, and PDL.

In So Cal, it was 6 lanes of concrete in each direction. Up here, it's two lanes of blacktop in each direction. WHAT a difference!

Nice shavehorses. Yummy display wall cabinet. He does nice work.

Keep your gospel, thanks. The rest sound good.

--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.
----------------------------------

*sigh*
That would be the equivalent of allowing them to live in my head rent-free all this time. Call it disappointment. They took a thriving backyard niche business, grossing $6K per month and turned it into a five hundred dollar per month venture. Make of it what you will.
I wholly concur with patriarch's trip, however. I have done several similar trips (including the visit to Hock Mansion), and it's a tough one to top for scenery, woodDorking, people, etc. in this state. I even have some redwood burls running around somewheres.
Humbly submitted on this Thanksgiving Eve
O'Deen
On 24 Nov 2004 13:39:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) calmly ranted:

We won't go there. ;)

Sadness. But at least they doubled your prices. I couldn't believe the difference (60-100% increases) and have not bought any from them as a result. 'Course, I'm perfectly happy with Waterlox for nearly everything.
Happy BirdDay!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora * http://www.diversify.com
Thu, Nov 18, 2004, 5:57am (EST+5) patriarch
<snip> As has been said here recently: "Life is good!"
Indeed.
JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in says:

Glad to hear that the doctor had pretty good news for you, JOAT. Some balancing out seemed overdue.
Did your T-shirts arrive yet? ;-)
Patriarch
I too am a Wood Dorker.

Seems to me 520 bd ft red oak for $100 is a good day too.
-- Woody
Check out my Web Page at:
http://community-1.webtv.net/WoodworkerJoe/WoodworkerJoesInfo
Where you will find:
******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03
* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03 * * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03 * * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03 * * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03 * * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03 * * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
Yes. Under 20 cents a board foot is great.
Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx