A really cool day is a wooddorker's life...

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote in

That's a price range we're trying to avoid. She's not THAT addicted.
Patriarch
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:38:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

I'm tempted by this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category118&item 47382842&rd=1
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:24:19 +0000, Andy Dingley

Take a look at the welds on this beauty: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryE034&item853716285&rd=1 <g>
-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:44:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com calmly ranted:

OK, 4 large suitcases which can be tied down over the lumber. Just take the truck...unless she wants an equalizing hitch on the back of her car and you can get a trailer to tow... (Did I just hear an agreement for suitcases? Thot so.)
--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.
----------------------------------

I live in Martinez, on the edge of Pleasant Hill, the town where I grew up.
My mother's family came to the Mendocino Coast in the 1840's. Manchester, Point Arena and Gualala. It is one of those magical areas.
My grandfather always warned us to be careful of some of the folks living on the 'cash economy' up there, however. They could/can be pretty protective of their crops.
We have a picture somewhere of my great grandfather, or maybe his father, with a mule, and a redwood log at least as thick as he was tall. Tough old fella, he was.
I've project or two I'd like to take on, when I can find some of that reclaimed redwood. There are a couple of sources to track down, but not tonight.
Patriarch
Patriarch notes:

Another possible source: www.terramai.com
Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in

Patriarch
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:05:54 GMT, patriarch

Martinez?? I may have to stop and steal some of that Fort Bragg lumber when I visit my kid in Benicia.. lol
patriarch < wrote:

OK, that's all well-and-good, but don't tell me you were in Fort Bragg and you didn't look up Ron Hock? Of all the nerve!!
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) And what about Krenov?

I actually thought about going to see Ron, but didn't. I decided that the small list of inconsequential things I 'needed' was served pretty well by mail order.
As for bothering St. James, let's just say that his reputation precedes him. I'd love to listen to him in some more formal setting, however.
There will be other days. I'm trying to arrange to take a chair making class from Dan, when my commitments allow. And we usually go up for the CR student show in early February.
Patriarch
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:57:01 +0000, wrote:

You tipped your hand too soon. Now I *know* this is fantasy :^).
<snip>

I'd never heard of tan oak before. A bit of spelunking:
http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/t/t0039150.html : An evergreen tree (Lithocarpus densiflorus) native to California and Oregon, having leathery leaves, erect male catkins, and tannin-yielding bark. Also called tanbark.
They're being attacked by fungal disease: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/12/1205_oaktreedeath.html
*And* beetle infestations: http://www.santa-cruz.com/archive/1999/September/19/top/stories/2top.htm
From http://www.mecgrassroots.org/NEWSL/ISS32/32.05Tanoak.html : "Recently, Mendocino Redwood Company (MRC) announced plans to reopen its Willits sawmill and hire 25 workers to process tan oak into hardwood flooring. At first glance, this seems like a good idea, creating new jobs and increasing company revenues while eliminating "weed" trees that are supposedly crowding out redwoods and Douglas firs.
"Tan oak is a native tree that is part of the natural mix of species in redwood/Douglas fir forests. One of the plants that revegetates bare ground following natural events like fires, tan oak also serves to hold steep slopes together after they have been clearcut, and to provide wildlife habitat and other benefits."
It looks like this species is under assault from all directions. What I didn't find is what it looks like. Can you describe it?

You should go there more often. Looks like you're treated like a part-time student!
<snip>

Ah, so you like beautiful music also.

Well, maybe not... ;^)

Boy, I'd say.
--
Joe Wells

<snip>

I wonder if that might be where they get that playground chip stuff that they used to call "tan bark" or maybe "tanbark"?

That stuff is mostly bark, but not from this tree. Primarily conifer.
Tan oak was a major source of vegetable based tannin, until around the turn of the twentieth century. Then other processes and sources made the economics less attractive.
Patriarch
Redwood is primarily used for the chunks/chips that are used because the redwood has a chemical in it to try and suppress other species seeds from germinating. max

I think, but am not sure, that the bark from Sierra pines (jefferson, or 'vanilla' pine is typical) is also used. Tends to chunkiness, rather than the stringyness, that redwood bark often shows.
And sometimes, you want the plant suppression, and other times, you don't.
Around here, the tree services will bury you with 'the mix of the day', for free, so they don't have to cart it off somewhere. 8" of that stuff does wonders for weed suppression. ;-)
Patriarch
that's what I thought... just rang a bell when the word "tanbark" came up..

Tanbark was originally any kind of bark (usually an oak species) which had been soaked to produce a tanning solution. It was waste so it was fairly cheap. Later it became a generic name for shredded bark.
IIRC tan oak took its name from the fact that the Californians used it extensively to tan hides because it was so common. Under Mexico hides, tanned or untanned were a major item of commerce in old California.
I don't believe tan oak is even a true oak. But it's bark is very high in tannin.
--RC Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
rcook notes:

Lithocarpus densiflorus. Oaks are Quercus spp. Actually, from Fagaceae, or beech family.
You're right about the tannin, too.
Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in

All true. Here's more:
http://danr.ucop.edu/ihrmp/oak110.htm
The wood finishes similarly to Oregon white oak, when cared for properly in the drying process.
It's challenging to work, but it's native to an area my faily has called home for a number of generations.
Patriarch