A really cool day is a wooddorker's life...

Page 1 of 3
Today was a really good day in Northern California.
After finishing two days of GOOD business meetings, I drove up through the Sonoma County countryside, through the redwood rainforest along the Navarro River. I got to the Pacific Coast, just south of the town of Mendocino after dark, but the night was clear, and the moon was reflecting off of the river and the surf was breaking softly at the mouth of the river. A Kodak moment. Made my way north to Fort Bragg, and checked in to my motel. Slept for 11 hours. (Almost a gloat in itself!)
It was one of those magical days without fog, which the locals say happen all too seldom. I'm 3 of 5 in my last trips there. At 8 am, I met my friend Dan at his shop. Dan is a chairmaker of some repute, who trained at College of the Redwoods, and stayed on. He showed me his shop, gave me a quick tutorial on greenwood chairmaking, and introduced me to some houseguests. He rents a room to a young Swedish woodworking student at the college, and the fellow's parents were there, so we visited for a bit, and got the tour of the various 'on display' pieces they'd made.
The point of the visit was for me to purchase some tan oak, which is a native-to-this-portion of the world species with little to no current commercial market. Dan had done, with College of the Redwoods, a class on kiln-drying, and now the output was for sale. We spent about 90 minutes, unloading a portion of the kiln, and selecting boards. Another set of lessons and guidelines on selecting rough lumber for figure, grain, stability, etc. More teaching on small kiln operation theory and practice. Better understanding of smaller than typical commercial scale wood harvesting, etc. And about 150 bd ft of some very nice lumber, at a very reasonable price.
While I was in town, I dropped in to visit with Star Supply, the current domain holder of Shellac.net (I don't know the history, and it's not my business.) I met Ann, who has run the place for decades, and she was very sorry to have to disappoint me, and have me wait for three to four weeks for more of the dewaxed platinum, made famous here by the previous owner of said shellac domain (and the fellow responsible for my buying that 24" Stanley monster in my shop ;-)) Nice people, making a living in an out of the way corner of the world that thrives on wood working.
The weather was great, and I drove home over the mountain to Willits, and down 101 (175 miles) with the windows down, and the CD player up. Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Lyle Lovett make pretty good company. The trees, the orchards and the vineyards were in glorious color under the autumn sky. The truck ran fine, and wasn't at all overloaded, like some of our Canadian friends have been occasionally known to do. Back by 4 pm, my wife even cooked dinner.
As has been said here recently: "Life is good!"
Patriarch
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:57:01 GMT, patriarch

sounds more like an ideal weekend!
<snip>

And has been, in times past. My dear wife, however, has a strep infection which the drugs haven't completely remedied yet. She wasn't going along this time.
But she has gotten to know all of the quilt shops on the route, from previous trips. ;-)
And when she goes, we tend to drive her car, which has room for quilt stuff, but no room for lumber!
Patriarch
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:12:01 GMT, patriarch

I rode motorcycles in another life (past marriage, etc.) and used to love riding in that area... Nice trip to take the wife on, and maybe if you stay at a B&B, she'll let you take the truck!
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:12:01 GMT, patriarch

Next time, take the truck and include a large suitcase for the quilt stuff. win/win, wot?
--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.
----------------------------------

SWMBO's comment on this was: "_A_ suitcase? Nononononono." In my experience you're gonna need a steamer trunk.
(She's sitting at her computer behind me logged into the quilting newsgroup.)
--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote in calmly ranted:

Mine has discovered the joys of buying fabric online. She spends less online than she does in the stores, per trip. Now she wants more fabric storage capacity, and another sewing machine of approximately the same cost as a new Laguna bandsaw...
But we DON'T compare tool purchases, for very good reasons. She'll get her machine soon.
Patriarch
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 01:59:45 GMT, patriarch

Same rules apply. S/H industrial cost less, work better, and hold resale value. My big sewing machine weighs about the same as my bandsaw, but has a bigger motor and a real oil-pan on it that takes a couple of pints in an oil change. For quilting work it would also have a _lot_ more room under the arm than any domestic.
--
Smert' spamionam

Room under the arm is the only reason for the purchase. Second hand industrial would be great.
I've learned a little bit about rust hunting WRT woodoworking tools. Any pointers on how to go about this specialty? And what brands/models/features one might seek?
My checking account would appreciate this greatly. ;-)
Patriarch
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:08:16 GMT, patriarch

Same as woodworking. Buy them from someone who is in the industry, not so naive as to expect to get back what they paid, and needs the money or the space in a hurry. Sewing machine repairmen are usually a good source, for only a bit more money and they usually service before selling. Dealers with shopfronts will cost a lot more.
eBay isn't a bad place to look - if location is right.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:08:16 GMT, patriarch

Well, SWMBO started out with the same question we hear so often in this NG.
Where are you and what are you trying to do?
Are you looking for a conventional sewing machine, a sewing-embroidery machine, an upholstery machine, a quilting machine, etc.?
How heavy is the material you're going to be sewing? How big are the pieces. What do you need in the way of special stiches, etc., etc., etc.
For conventional machines my wife swears by Viking/Huskvarna. She's bought three of them and we will have all of them. (She also has an overlock machine and two bedrooms in our three-bedroom house are cutting and sewing rooms, and there's fabric everywhere, but those are different issues.)
Conversely, stay away from any Singer made in the last 20 years. Another once proud name reduced to junk by the bean counters.
Once we've got all that settled, she can probably give you some pretty good advice on used machines.
--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Pithy, and worthy of framing.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Tragic, I calls it. But then we live in 'interesting' times.
I wonder if Dante reserved a special circle in Hell for the bean counters. And if so I have to wonder what the appropriate punishment for that species of vermin might be.
Uncharitable thoughts this close to Christmas.
--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote in

Just northeast of Oakland, CA. She wants to do machine quilting, on queen and king sized machine-pieced quilts.

She has a Quilter's Companion, by Janome, that we bought 15 months ago at Meissner's in Sacramento. She wants a bit more reach under the arm, for bigger quilts.

I don't know all the terms, but she uses woolen(?) batting, and high quality, all cotton materials from the finer suppliers. We see about 6 or 8 quilt shows a year, and she always brings home a couple of bags of fabric.
And she watches Alex Andersen almost like LRod watches Norm. TiVo can do that for you / to you.

My wife doesn't really do much else in the way of sewing. Our kids are grown, and the grandson grows too fast to keep up with making him much. Macy's is so much simpler.

So we had heard.

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:35:07 GMT, patriarch

Great. She's out teaching a quilting class right now, but when she gets back this evening I'm sure she'll have some suggestions.
--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:46:23 +0000, rcook5 wrote:
<snip>

I'm going to go give SWMBO a big hug for only being into making bead jewelry.
--
Joe Wells

Oh really ? 8-) http://www.ozziebuddy.com
We don't have _all_ the fun toys.
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:19:13 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

She's into weaving with the tiny "seed beads', she doesn't make her own (yet). She's quite serious about it, but has only taken over one room thus far. She's even won a few awards.
Thankfully, her hobby/obsession doesn't require machinery, carbide tipped anything, or open flame ;^).
--
Joe Wells

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:08:16 GMT, patriarch

Look for local industrial sewing machine repairmen. They should have inexpensive used machines. HF has a new Chinese machine, motor, clutch, and table for under $400. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber914 and 3929.
Does anybody here (or their wife) have one of these? I'm wondering about the quality and parts availability.
-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:49:16 +0000, Andy Dingley

For quilting work you get a long-arm quilting machine. Think a sewing machine mounted on a big frame with an XY drive. Think ten grand or so.
We ain't the only ones with expensive toys.
--RC Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?