a real newbie question

i am pretty good with my hands
i can build pretty much anything when i set my mind to it
my only problem i can never figure out type of wood
looking @ wood unless there is a sign above i have no clue what type of wood i am looking at
what is (hardwood) & (particleboard)
i need 1 sheet of each 4x8
Hardwood doesn't come in sheets unless you're talking about plywood. In that case, go to home depot and look for a sheet of either birch or red oak plywood.
Particle board looks like glued-together sawdust, which it is.
brian
dr-whoopie wrote:

Take an afternoon at your local library. Or if you want to spend some cash try the local bookstore. Nice pretty colors.
--
Thank you,

This may be tough to explain, but I'll try... Masonite is a mild brown color and is typically available in 1/8th, 1/4th and somewhat thicker when used for batten board house siding. Peg board is generally made of masonite. One side is quite smooth and even a bit glossy, while the other side generally has a cross hatched texture. The material is somewhat soft and a bit pliable. It is not very heavy in weight. The material will not do harm to a saw blade.
Particle board is made of coarse bits of wood particles like might come from a table saw with a coarse blade and are secured together with something much like a resin product. The color is much like a pine board might be. Typical thickness are 3/8th. 1/2, 5/8th, 3/4th and some thicker for special applications The material is brittle and will not stand much flexing. Thickness tends to be pretty uniform and both sides are quite smooth.. The material tends to be heavy in weight. Because of the material holding the particles together, it can do damage to a saw blade after extended cutting.
It is common to use particle board for the base of a counter top, but masonite would be too flexible.
At last resort... ask the clerk to show you the difference!
Don Dando

wood
Don.. I think the OP said hardWOOD, not hardBOARD??

Mac