A quieter wood thickness planer?

Page 1 of 2

Ok before the nieghbors get together and convene a special meeting of the HOA and push some iminant domain thing, I am in the process of quieting down some of my tools in the garage, from insulating the walls and dry walling to creating a vibration separation of rubber between plywood on which the planer (Delta 22-780X X5 15") sits on roller frame.
While the rubber/plywood has removed any vibration I used to feel comming up my legs from the concrete floor, the sound is still loud once the vacuum is turned on. When running the planer without the vacuum, its fairly quiet, but once the vacuum is turned on and pulling wind across those blades the planer can be heard a short distance from the garage -not good.
My next move is to limit the amount of vacuum force by opeing another port on the vacuum line. But other than that Im out of ideas and was hoping someone out here would have better ideas.
Thanks, Martin
Two ideas. If anybody's within "a short distance from the garage", charge them with trespassing. The other is to move.

my neighbors say that the noise from my tools is not as loud as I think it is. once you get outside the garage the noise drops off considerably. If you want to please them make them something and let them see what is going on there and what the noise is all about it will make it harder for them to complain.
Is the noise coming from the sides of the garage or through the door or both? JG
dado_maker wrote:

Plane while your neighbor's mowing his lawn?
The planer will work without the chip collection, too.

Thanks,
fashioned siren (rotary) works. There is a substantial sound level difference on my planer as well when I pull the DC line off. The bottom line is if you cut back too much on the DC, you'll start having chip imprints in the wood. Tom

My planer got much quieter when I changed the blades. I hadn't realized how dull they had gotten.
Allen

How much of a difference did you see when you used the new blades?

In cut quality a bit in particular with some maple I was doing at the time. I still got some tear out but not near as much as I used to. As far as noise a BIG reduction, even through the muffs I wear with just about any power tool. The planer is a two blade 12" Dewalt and it came with a second set of knives. I sent the first out for sharpening and I'll be interested in seeing if how the sharpness compares to the original on the DeWalt set when I swap them out.
Allen Catonsville, MD

True on lunchbox types, but this is an iron one. I own the grandfather of his and it works remarkably well without collection, because it has that chip breaker inside.
George wrote:

This unit also works well without the dust collector attached, seems to do a good job displacing the chips.

Move, and stay far away from homeowner associations? Do you have a basement? You can put the really noisy stuff in the basement. Basement shops absorb a lot of noise with the earth packed around the walls.
Other than that, maybe make the home shop a neander shop, and rent a small industrial condo, or a corner of a pro shop for the big iron. I know of an owner of a woodworking school who has a home shop in a condo bedroom. His only power tool at home is a band saw.
Most big planers I seen make most of the noise with the cutterhead, not the motor(s). The cutterhead can sound like an air raid siren. <G>
Everyone I've ever met that has some sort of passion outside of golf, (woodworking, amateur radio, musicians, classic cars, tiddlywinks, etc...) that has purchased a home where an HOA exists has regretted the move.
Barry
Ba r r y wrote:

Have always steered cleared but this HOA is a lite one with a fee of $120/year covering the work of a treasurer I suppose. Im just keeping ahead of any future problems -so far no one has complained.

Talking about "pulling wind" ... you'll suck them in with this one, to be sure.
Guess who wrote:

Allow those to air their thoughts, I suppose.
dado_maker wrote: snip of suburban blues

#8 Stanley.
Dave in Fairfax (townhouse)
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

While not amplified, the noise can be traveling is such a manner as to be heard at higher levels than you think. I've seen situations where you can be 5 feet, 15 feet, from the source of the noise and it is not a bother, but 100 feet away it is very annoying. The sound wave just travel up and over it seems and reach certain areas loudly. Maybe a simple baffle at your door would shut her up.
When our town has concerts in the park, I can sit on my deck and listen to them and hear them better sitting on my deck 1.5 miles away that if I was just across the street from the band shell. Friday night we enjoyed the Coast Guard band in the comfort of our own yard.

I used to do sound at a nightclub that had an underground sewer pipe of the perfect dimensions to transmit and amplify certain bass frequencies, ala pipe organ.
Several homes the perfect distance from the club became unbearable while the band played.
The club is now a steakhouse.
Barry
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 16:26:16 GMT, Ba r r y

Perhaps it was the music?