A Question of Physics 101

Page 2 of 4

They would be parallel if it could be measured by a fifty foot rule from Lee Valley. (Rob Lee, here is an idea for you next April 1st tool)
BTW how parallel is string anyway? Any horizontal measurement of a vertical string would change its position.
how's about if there was no limit to the length of the string? wow how long is a string? i'd say that half way to the middle is one fourth the way to the other end.

No. Both will point toward the center of gravity (somewhere inside the earth).

Nope. I'm getting about a 1/2 second of arc between them.
They would sure appear to be parallel and for all practical purposes would be, but in truth they would be between 1 and two ten-thousanths of a degree off.
Lee

_________________________________

The error from the theoretical parallels would vary both with altitude and location on the globe. A geodesic error will cause different errors on the two strings as the earth is not a perfect sphere.

I am going from the standpoint that the centre of the base (at 25 feet) is at a perfect 90-degrees to the line running to the centre of the planet. The errors to that line will be different for each bob.
Thought I'd clarify my position.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Not only that, but you would certainly need to do gravity meter surveys to insure that the gravity field is equivalent at both locations prior to embarking upon any calculations.
You can't be too careful ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

planetary rotational pendulum forces which ALL plumbobs have a problem with. The farking things just never hold still. I understand bourbon has a stabilizing influence on planetary rotational sidewalk-in-the- faceness.
Say what?
A glorious weekend so far.. no work in the shop for me. Angela and our daughter are off to Birch Run MI (Between Flint & Saginaw) where there are ONE HUNDRED A FIFTY FACTORY OUTLETS, DAD!!! I put a little something in Angela's birthday card yesterday (the big 40) and they're OUTTA HERE!!..LOL.
*whispers* And I'm off to see if Dave Eisan has any good deals on a General table saw....
That was easy....LOL
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Way to go ... quite reigns! Or does it?
No gig's this weekend! I'm off to sit on the porch with a glass of wine and visit with a band mate to go over the latest roughs from the new CD project, then walk around the corner to the park to sit on the grass and listen to a string quartet in the gazebo ... it should be a beautiful, cool evening here in H town.
And tomorrow night we'll see how many red 3's Leon can gather up in a game or two of "Hand 'n Foot". ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

deck?
I'm a Euchre kinda fella myself. I like the speed. I had a small bout with bridge, but that you have to play all the time, me thinks.
Robatoy wrote:

How about "66"? Uses a Euchre deck.
Bridge is OK, but if you want a cut throat game, give me 3 handed Hearts if 4 players, the military version of double deck pinochle.
Throw out the "9"s, 50 to open, 20 meld minimum, 20 tricks minimum to save, 500 for game.
If you are after blood, $0.10/point.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Forgot to add, $5/set, now that gets your attention.
Lew
"Robatoy" wrote in message

5 decks, regular style ... one more than the number of players. Automatic, battery operated shuffler mandatory.

Bouree' for me ... or, as Lew said, double deck pinochle, like it's played in the military.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Yes, you can.
;)
Patriarch

No.

According to which theory?

I forget the name of the theory but it goes something like, 2 rays originating from 2 different points and going towards a single point are not parallel.
wrote in message

It was a question regarding string theory. Sorry I missed the emoticon.
I gotta go to the bank now...
Patriarch