A Question of Physics 101

sure appear to be parallel and for all practical purposes would

I am going from the standpoint that the centre of the base (at 25 feet) is at a perfect 90-degrees to the line running to the centre of the planet. The errors to that line will be different for each bob.

Thought I'd clarify my position.

Reply to
Robatoy

The answer will differ in each parallel universe.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

assuming you can freeze the measuments in time so not to be exposed to planetary rotational pendulum forces which ALL plumbobs have a problem with. The farking things just never hold still. I understand bourbon has a stabilizing influence on planetary rotational sidewalk-in-the- faceness.

Say what?

A glorious weekend so far.. no work in the shop for me. Angela and our daughter are off to Birch Run MI (Between Flint & Saginaw) where there are ONE HUNDRED A FIFTY FACTORY OUTLETS, DAD!!! I put a little something in Angela's birthday card yesterday (the big

40) and they're OUTTA HERE!!..LOL.

*whispers* And I'm off to see if Dave Eisan has any good deals on a General table saw....

That was easy....LOL

Reply to
Robatoy

No.

Reply to
Leon

"Swingman" wrote in news:2sqdnWqputRh2LTbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yes, you can.

;)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

"Leon" wrote in news:4ObWh.5794$H_5.4139 @newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

According to which theory?

Reply to
Patriarch

I forget the name of the theory but it goes something like, 2 rays originating from 2 different points and going towards a single point are not parallel.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:zccWh.5799$H snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

It was a question regarding string theory. Sorry I missed the emoticon.

I gotta go to the bank now...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Not only that, but you would certainly need to do gravity meter surveys to insure that the gravity field is equivalent at both locations prior to embarking upon any calculations.

You can't be too careful ...

Reply to
Swingman

GROVER wrote in news:1177091182.736587.218780 @n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Actually it depends on the mass of the plumb bobs. If massive enough they would attract each other.

But I believe that would only be quite near to a black hole.

Reply to
Han

Way to go ... quite reigns! Or does it?

No gig's this weekend! I'm off to sit on the porch with a glass of wine and visit with a band mate to go over the latest roughs from the new CD project, then walk around the corner to the park to sit on the grass and listen to a string quartet in the gazebo ... it should be a beautiful, cool evening here in H town.

And tomorrow night we'll see how many red 3's Leon can gather up in a game or two of "Hand 'n Foot". ;)

Reply to
Swingman

4 decks of regular cards (Canasta style) or a fancy schmancy dedicated deck?

I'm a Euchre kinda fella myself. I like the speed. I had a small bout with bridge, but that you have to play all the time, me thinks.

Reply to
Robatoy

How about "66"? Uses a Euchre deck.

Bridge is OK, but if you want a cut throat game, give me 3 handed Hearts if 4 players, the military version of double deck pinochle.

Throw out the "9"s, 50 to open, 20 meld minimum, 20 tricks minimum to save, 500 for game.

If you are after blood, $0.10/point.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If a guy says something - out loud - and there's no woman around to hear what he said - is he still wrong?

Of the fifty or so women, ages maybe early 20s to mid

80s, all but three immediately said "Yes" and most added "of course". The three exceptions requested more info before anwering the question.

Surprisingly - or not - all but three of the 40 or 50 guys I asked, ages 20s to mid 80s, also said, without hesitation, "Yes" or "Sure". Two if the three exceptions said "I'll get back to you on that." Still waiting for their responses. The third guy's response was "WHAT!? He flew a Mosquito during WWII and then worked around jet air craft for another 30 years. Nice guy. Deaf as a post.

Now about those space ships approaching each other at the speed of light and both turn on their headlights

- could either pilot/dirver see the on coming vehicle's lights?

There is no such thing as "matter". It's ALL different manifestations of energy. The Everything Is Everything gurus from the 60s were right.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

No way to answer this question without knowing your definition of "parallel".

It is also somewhat site specific. There could easily be gravitational and/or magnetic anomalies that will affect their positions much more than the curvature of the earth.

So, the answer might be "pretty much".

Reply to
Toller

Parallel has only one definition. It's not open to interpretation. You're a Bill Clinton fan, aren't you?

Reply to
CW

Forgot to add, $5/set, now that gets your attention.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

5 decks, regular style ... one more than the number of players. Automatic, battery operated shuffler mandatory.

Bouree' for me ... or, as Lew said, double deck pinochle, like it's played in the military.

Reply to
Swingman

You are not really into geometry, are you?

you are making a pun on Clinton sounding like Euclid!

Reply to
Toller