A question for anyone who has made a rotary tool shank.

A question for anyone who has made or has thot about making a rotary tool shank, like for attaching cutoff wheels.
What is an easy to find material for making a rotary tool shank? I was thinking maybe using some rivet. Whatever, the qualities of the metal rod have to be something like this. ...Drillable metal, not extremely hard. ...Straight. ...Diameter exactly 1/8" quickly flaring to 3/16" or whatever at some point (it can be cut). ...Cheap.
To accuratly center the screw hole in the end of the shank, the unmade shank can be inserted into a drill or rotary tool and spun against a stationary drill bit.
Thanks in advance.
"John Doe" writes:

Can you say Dremel?
For them, it's standard hardware.
HTH
--
Lew

Yes, I have made them for specialty industrial applications but for what you are doing, why bother? Go to a good model shop. Dremel makes them and so do a number of others. Many are better than Dremel and they are cheap.

Yes?

And?

I enjoy making things.

John Doe wrote:

I take you are talking about 1/8 in. shanks. I have made several adaptors for my router to take slitting saws and special cutters and a longer shank for the finger joint cutter etc. I used plain old 1018 either hot rolled or cold rolled steel. Didn't heat treat or anything special. ...lew...
John Doe wrote:

Enco (http://www.use-enco.com ) sells drill rod that you can probably turn to what you've described.
Personally, I'd just use one of the standard mandrels from any of the rotary tool manufacturers and spend the time making something out of wood :-)
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA