A question about finishing mahogany

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:20:04 -0600, Steve Turner wrote:

Something I've done quite a bit to minimize splotching is to wipe on a couple of coats of clear shellac, then a coat with alcohol soluble dye mixed in, and finally a couple more clear coats.
If you filled first and then dyed, it might make leveling the filler less dangerous.
Thanks for the info on the pumice method. I'll try it next time I want to fill the pores on something.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

I started off trying to use SolarLux and it's nice stuff, but it has some sort of (glucose?) binder that made it hard to deal with during repairs. I didn't try a straight alcohol soluble dye; that might have played much better together with shellac.

I tried that (with probably three different brands and types of filler) and didn't like the look.

Stock up on sandpaper first! :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Dick Snyder wrote:

I never used filler with mahogany. I used spar varnish, cut 50% for the first coat. San flat. Then apply full strength, sanding well between coats. After 3 or 4 coats, the grain should be pretty well sealed and smooth. If not, sand well and apply again. You should be able to get a very smooth surface this way, though much depends on your sanding technique.
Harvey