A 'puter in your shop?

Page 5 of 5
I was going to agree but then I remembered that none of my light fixtures or light switches or electrical outlets are explosion proof. So, I guess I wouldn't wory about it although I do not think I would because of other reasons. All those solvent fumes can't be good for all the little contacts and exposed boards, wires, circuits, etc.. Wonder how hot a monitor gets?

Lawrence A. Ramsey wrote:

I would guess just as hot of alt.sex.binary.(whatever your perversion) group you frequent.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
You do not want sawdust accumulating in your monitor. They do get fairly hot, AND there are big voltages to be found there. Further, dust accumulation will increase heat. Additionally, the number one cause of monitor failure is cracked solder joints, because manufacturers can not solder monitors correctly (it would drive the cost up). These cracked, or weakened joints, can produce very high heat, sparks, and outright fire. Combine that with some MDF dust, and you have real fun.
wrote:

do
176
in
else
F.
would
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:11:52 GMT, "effinperfectionist"
If you don't have a compressor then buy compressed air in a can. The big cans are about $5 at your local TV repair shop and last months. I use it once or twice a week.
I've had a computer in my shop for years. 17inch monitor for the last year with no cover at all. Cordless Logitech keyboard wrapped in Handiwrap. 5 years old. Plain old ball mouse also cordless. I have the mouse pad in a big glad freezer bag. I just stick my hand in the bag to use the mouse.
I have zero problems and the computer runs 24/7.

Damn, another way to explode my shop... PVC for air lines. PVC for vac lines. Now my computer. I might as well just become a neander. Nah.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Shawn" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I'd say go for a rack-mounted industrial chassis. Last time I looked, JDR had them at a fairly reasonable price. I've used similar in an aluminum rolling mill and smelter. Of course, there was so much electricity used in the smelter that we had to put the whole thing in a Faraday cage :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

    Greetings and Salutations.     Many interesting suggestions here, so I thought I would toss in one more. Consider picking up a tablet computer. slightly older models are pretty inexpensive, and, most of them will live happily in a dusty environment without complaint. It is also possible to get them "hardened" and designed for use in an industrial environment, which, I suspect, is harder on them than ANY home shop would be.     Regards     Dave Mundt

Funny - but that's why I go into the shop - to get away from the damned thing.

Brother's a pro cabinet maker. I thought dust would be a problem, but it hasn't been for his PC. I opened up the case once and the board was covered in dust, but it was working fine.

Wired.

There was a thread about this a year or so ago. Wireless could be nice. Might want to secure it a bit so neighboors don't use it as a way to hack your system or as their hot spot to hijack your internet connection if it is a good one.
I ran rj45 in conduit along with phone wiring to my garage. PVC conduit is relatively cheap.
As far as protecting it, cleaning it out with low pressure air on a regular schedual does the trick for me. I wouldn't plan on using a floppy drive unless you run a cleaner through it. Haven't had problems with cd drive.
I wouldn't put it on the same circuit with a tool that tends to drag down the 110v line too much either. Small ups if you can't avoid it would be good.
Just do a bit of dusting and cleaning on a aggressive schedule until you know your situation and you will be fine.
Wes