A 'puter in your shop?

Group

I'm wondering about having a computer in my shop. I've got a older machine that is sitting around doing nothing - and its long paid for, and of no value to anyone. So I'm thinking of putting in the shop at some point - for email, surfing, etc.

I'd like to know what you've done to "protect" yours if you've got one out there - ie - seperate room, dust covers etc?

Also - what kind of connection to the net do you have - if any? Am toying with a wireless ethernet card to talk to the router in the house, once our high speed access is installed. The alternative is to dig more trench.....

Thanks

Reply to
Jim Laumann

I've been lurking here for a few months and after making my first post only a few min. ago I feel kind of strange about posting this but this seems a fairly flame free group. I ran a rj45 cable when the shop was built.but wireless could be a problem due to elec. interference and large metal equip between the computer and ant. as far as the computer is concerned you should put a air filter at the inlet probably at the front and blow it out weekly. I also bought a keyless keyboard off e-bay for about $15 no problems so far.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

Yup! Very handy for Googling for a technique or ideas, and for streaming archived radio shows into the shop.

A simple cloth cover, I don't leave it running all the time, so the cover will keep most dust out of it. I'm not all that concerned, no data is stored on it and it's a cheapie, so if it croaks, so be it. I have a DC and air filtration system, so my shop is relatively clean in the first place. The computer is also located at the farthest point possible from the major dust producers.

A wired connection back to my DSL router on the second floor of my home. The shop machine can print to the office, and all data is stored on our main machine and accessed remotely from the rest of the network. The DSL router has a built-in hardware firewall, and all machines run full versions of Zone Alarm and anti-virus software. I have 5 machines networked up, and it's awesome.

A side benefit to the network is that you can backup critical data to other machines, and share printers, scanners, camera connections, etc...

Wireless is very simple and requires less manual labor to install, while wires are generally faster, cheaper and more secure by default. If you go wireless, spend the time to properly secure the network, some are less than secure right out of the box.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

My server is right outside the door to my shop, but like most tinkerers, you gotta have the toys, so I wanted a pc in the shop. Ran a cat5 cable out to the shop off the router, dropped an old Pentium with wireless mouse and keyboard, shared all the resources. Being an old techie I was able to "borrow" an acoustic cabinet with three fans on the back, but I still only power it up when I need to look something up.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

"keyless keyboard"..........saves on typing I suppose eh Keith

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

My life became increasingly computer based starting in 1983, so I'm normally trying to get away from the damn things, and thus far I've been able to resist putting a computer in the shop. I do take frequent breaks and go to the house to check e-mail and, of course, the wRECK ... which can be a big mistake.

Reply to
Swingman

Would a keyless keyboard work well with the 512Meg write only memory (WOM) chip set that Santa left?

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Keep in mind that computers like it cold! The colder it is, the better it will run (as long as condensation doesn't come into play). Maybe you could rig up the box outside, or in a remote corner of the shop, then run extended KVM cables to your work area. Or use wireless keyboard/mouse and replace batteries every so often.

If you cover up or enclose the system, make sure it has plenty of ventilation or don't run it for very long. A typical 1Ghz computer can put off almost as much heat as a person. If it's an old 300Mhz or smaller system, I wouldn't worry too much about the heat (except from the monitor).

Put a good computer fan in the lower front of the case, the larger the better (I use 120mm fans). Then put a good filter around the fan inlet to filter dust, etc. to keep it from getting in the computer. You can also put an exhaust fan on the computer, but try to keep positive air pressure in the case. That way, you filter incoming air, and air leaking out of all of the small cracks around the case will tend to take dust out with it, rather than sucking it into the case.

You can probably blow the dust out of the case with some light air pressure, but don't use a vacuum cleaner. Vacuum cleaners tend to create lotsa static electricity that can quickly fry your system.

RJ45 cable is not too expensive, particularly if you 'roll-yer-own'. We've got a computer networked w/ about 100ft. cable, and it surfs just fine. Wireless may be easier, but can be affected by home wiring and other interference. Wireless should also be secured (unless you download mp3 files - that way, when RIAA comes after you, you can blame it on the people in your driveway using your WAN). Another advantage of wireless is that it may be easier/cheaper to connect multiple computers to the internet, depending on your ISP's policies.

Reply to
mrdancer

I tried putting a PC in the shop but couldnt figure for the life of me where the hell the dust collector port is on my computer. Also most if not all of my shop made jigs were useless on it. I tried cutting some tenons on my keyboard with a router jig and all I got was "Error #BR549 Joint Not Found".

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

Wireless stuff might be cheaper now than the last time I looked at it. If it's still expensive, a 100' pre-made CAT5 (?) cable goes for about $25 locally. If that's enough of a reach, you could just run it through the yard to your shop. Grass will grow over it, and your mower won't pick it up. Replace as needed. Save digging. :)

(No, I haven't tried this. I did power my shop with extension cords laying on the ground for years though. I never managed to cut any of them.)

Reply to
Silvan

tell meabout it.......

Reply to
Bridger

I have a PC in my shop (MP3 player). It has survived 4 years of heat, humidity, sawdust and a fire. The monitor is actually outside in the tiki bar.

Reply to
Greg

Being in the computer trade myself, I would strongly recommend making a box that the computer would fit in and use a plexiglass front so you could see the monitor. Have only the keyboard and mouse that exits from the box and if you must have access to the drives, create a door that seals shut. Have good ventilation holes with filters on them.

Now I know many of you are thinking that this sounds like a lot to protect a computer that you really don't care about, but this isn't about the computer, it's about protecting what's outside the computer. See a computer processor can get really hot - 80-95 degrees Celsius. That's 176

- 203 degrees Fahrenheit. With all the fine wood dust that could get in there, I'd hate see that computer you don't care about take eveything else you do care about with it.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

I guess it all depends on how "older" this machine is.

My P166 class machines don't even have fans on the CPUs, just big heat sinks. They seldom get more than warm to the touch

Reply to
Greg

So you can see it while soaking in the hot tub, right?

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

Funny - but that's why I go into the shop - to get away from the damned thing.

Brother's a pro cabinet maker. I thought dust would be a problem, but it hasn't been for his PC. I opened up the case once and the board was covered in dust, but it was working fine.

Wired.

Reply to
mttt

Soaking in the hot tub you just listen to the songs ;-)

The monitor is only for looking at play lists. Left alone it will just random play through the library. I have a Seeburg 3W1 wallbox out there that selects songs. That is the keyboard input. This is DOS/MPXPLAY software with a dual boot W/95 drive for maintenance with long file names. There are similar machines in our cars (no monitor and num pads). These routinely crank up in a 140 degree ambient temp car and work just fine. Anyone who thinks computers are delicate are mistaken.

Reply to
Greg

There was a thread about this a year or so ago. Wireless could be nice. Might want to secure it a bit so neighboors don't use it as a way to hack your system or as their hot spot to hijack your internet connection if it is a good one.

I ran rj45 in conduit along with phone wiring to my garage. PVC conduit is relatively cheap.

As far as protecting it, cleaning it out with low pressure air on a regular schedual does the trick for me. I wouldn't plan on using a floppy drive unless you run a cleaner through it. Haven't had problems with cd drive.

I wouldn't put it on the same circuit with a tool that tends to drag down the 110v line too much either. Small ups if you can't avoid it would be good.

Just do a bit of dusting and cleaning on a aggressive schedule until you know your situation and you will be fine.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Hmmm.... I've been building computers for 15 years. A PIII 1gHz runs at a steady 122 F when crunching video and ray-tracing. An old P1 75 runs a little warmer. The only CPU's I have ever seen that approach those temps are AMDs, right before they self-destruct. Intel chips have thermal limiter diodes and circuitry internally mounted the to CPU die to control overtemps. Any processor that runs that hot is subject to early failure, lockups, and is nothing I want in MY computer system.

But by the same token, I'm with you on the covers, but they have to be well vented to somewhere - or you end up with a box full of really hot air and dead semiconductors. Fine dust can penetrate into hard drives and cause failure, and a coating of dust can decrease the semiconductors ability to dissipate heat. RAM in particular is subject to overheating - from intermittent lockups to outright failure. FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.