A nice find in Lowe's trash pile

I just got back from picking up a piece of trim from Lowe's. I just happened to go look through their pile of pallets in the back and cam across two 4x8 pallets constructed of red oak (God only knows why) and one that was, for some strange reason, made of red cedar slats with some type of purple cross members. I've never seen purple heart, but I've never seen any other purple wood either. Any idea what this may be?
TexasFireGuy asks:

Possibly purpleheart. You'll find that a lot of woods we buy as exotics are used as construction lumber in their home ports. Purpleheart is one.
Charlie Self
"On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does." Will Rogers
Wonder if it could the heart of Eastern Red Cedar?
On 25 Jul 2003 18:26:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah (Charlie Self) wrote:

I don't know. It was considerably harder than the cedar slats.
(Charlie Self)

Charlie Self wrote:

Red oak pallets are quite ubiquitous. Usually they're made of really bad wood though.
My shed came on a red oak pallet that I just threw away because the wood wasn't fit to use for anything. You should read my various comments about saving every scrap in case I can use it... this thing was nothing more than kindling, and I don't have a wood-burning fireplace.
I find that bad wood is the rule more often than not, and then there's the question of bits of gravel and other contaminants. Stay away from dirty, weathered pallets.
They're not all bad though. Another thing I can get lots of are some weird pieces of dunnage. They're 4x4 squares of heartwood about 3' long, with a groove routed down one side for some unknowable reason. The wood isn't very good, but I can usualy saw a good board off all four sides of the thing, and they're free. I've used them whole for various structural purposes, where something short and stout is just the ticket.
My best source is that futon factory though. I hope I get dispatched down that way again soon. I'm almost out of wood. :) "We throw away more wood than most people ever see. Take all the scraps you want." So I back my tractor trailer up to the door and..... :) :) :) :) :)
Silvan writes:

Except I didn't. Write that, that is.
Charlie Self
"On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does." Will Rogers

Mo' Sawdust wrote:

Gotcha. Makes sense.
I never see the stuff coming in. These things just end up in my truck as a chock for the pallet jack, so I find a different way to secure the pallet jack and throw another piece of oak on my pile at home. ;)

Please don't post in HTML.
Note that somewhere around 50% of the domestic hardwood harvest goes to making pallets.
scott
Snip

I built the frame for my workbench out of dunnage. There's some spalting in a few of the timbers that really gives a nice effect, although I've noticed that it, uh, changes shape a little with weather (it's in the garage). I've got a nice rigid flat top on it, so if I have to slip a shim under the one leg every once in a while, it's okay with me. I got the material at the right price (g)!
-Phil Crow
If you are at all lucky (and it sounds like you are), it is pine that has been painted or dyed purple ! If so, you have earned the envy of me, and possibly many on the wreck. Strip down that purple treasure and use it to make a cupboard...
-- The software said it ran under Windows 98/NT/2000, or better. So I installed it on Linux...
<DIV><FONT size=2>I just got back from picking up a piece of trim from Lowe's.&nbsp; I just happened to go look through their pile of pallets in the back and cam across two 4x8 pallets constructed of red oak (God only knows why) and one that was, for some strange reason, made of red cedar slats with some type of purple cross members.&nbsp; I've never seen purple heart, but I've never seen any other purple wood either.&nbsp; Any idea what this may be?</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=