A new shop dog

Page 3 of 3

That doesn't make any sense at all. Adoption fee, licensing and yearly licensing renewal on top of that. Initial supplies ~ all of these things are revenue makers.
It makes more sense to promote adoption so they can profit from that revenue stream.

Maybe it's high compared to some other jurisdictions, but it includes all shots being up to date, microchipping, a paid vet checkup (we're going Friday), spay and/or neuter if required, and 6 weeks of pet health insurance.
Try and do all that for just over $200.
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
On 12/4/12 9:55 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

The simple answer is cats are less expensive than dogs. Shelters generally have cats at 10:1 to dogs. Things like medicine and microchips are cheaper in bulk. Cat's are much easier/cheaper to spay/neuter, etc, etc.
Shelters have also found, from experience, a correlation between the number of returned animals to the expense of the fee for adoption. The lower the fee, the more likely it is the pet will be returned to them. Human nature, people don't value what doesn't cost them.
They can weed out a lot of "impulse adopters" by simply charging any amount to begin with. They can weed out many returns by charging something higher. Most, as you say, are on a shoe-string budget. In the spring when cats breed like rabbits :-), you see cheaper adoption fees. Most shelters who do this are losing money and just hoping they don't get as many returned, this time around.
Bottom line is, ol' CW was spouting ignorance.
--

-MIKE-

Bottom line is, people are going to look at that price and go get a puppy out of the newspaper for free to $25.00. Say you go to two different car lots and look at the same car. One of them is priced way higher than the other. When asked why his price is so high, he says it's to make sure you really want it. You'd buy the expensive one, right?
On 12/4/2012 12:20 PM, CW wrote:

the free dog from the paper doesn't come with the added amenities (6 weeks health insurance, free vet visit, free spaying/neutering, etc).
On 12/4/12 1:20 PM, CW wrote:

What the fu@k does that have to do with you saying they'd rather kill the dogs than adopt them out?
--

-MIKE-

And yet our SPCA always seems to find homes for the animals they take in, even with the fees where they are.
That's fact. You have any to support your opinion?
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx

The SPCA here does foster placements for dogs that have behavioural issues to deal with until they get settled enough to be adopted. Not sure about the cats.
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx

On the contrary. The shelter here will keep a dog until they are adopted. They also take animals from other shelters in the province when those are full.
The only dogs they euthanize are those that have been so abused they are vicious, without hope of rehabilitation.
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Dave Balderstone wrote:

My kind of place. Is it a national organization? As far as I know there are no "no kill" shelters here and I'd like to know of one just in case.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I think they are provincial organizations under the SPCA banner here in Canuckistan.
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx

She a big dog, and not well trained. No fault of hers. Only one accident indoors, my fault for not catching her cues. Both of us have lots to learn.
We're getting along well, 24 hours later, of which about 5 was spent on walks. Today I got a Halty, which will save these poor old arms from being ripped out of their sockets.
Big snowfall today, She loves rolling in the fresh powder.

Damn straight.
djb
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.
"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
Just brought her home from the SPCA. Great Pyrenees cross. Name of Kaci.
She'd been at the pound 131 days, and is about 13 months old. The socializing and obedience training begins...
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/balderstone/8236646398/in/photostream
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance.
Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably

That, sir, is one handsome critter... the one on the right, I mean. The other critter is, well, a bit dodgy ;)
On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 8:51:27 PM UTC-6, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Probably needs some training.
Sonny
On 12/5/2012 9:12 PM, Sonny wrote:

Yep, definitely wouldn't let him on the rugs ...
;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net