A new project

Page 1 of 3
Well I have 4 customers that I am waiting for approval to begin projects for and it looks like that will happen after the first of the year. In the mean time I have decided to try to finish off my home office, something I have been wanting to do for a long time.
Our home has 11' tall ceilings and I hate to waste that space. I want to add a wall of combination lateral file cabinets and book cases that will cover most of the wall and go over the double door entry into the office. The unit will be approximately 124" tall and 125" wide when completed. Some of those shelves, well most will be difficult to reach so I will probably add a rolling library ladder if I can talk myself into spending the extra $1,000.00 for the ladder hardware. ;~(
Surely I can dream up a less expensive way to accomplish this with out having to spend $1K on the hardware.
Anyway here is how the office looks now. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/21906097460/in/dateposted-public/
I'll be moving the desk counter clockwise to the adjacent wall and eventually the new book cases and desk will face each other.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/21906375628/in/dateposted-public/
Any Thoughts? Has anyone here build a rolling library ladder like this?
Leon wrote:

No but I wouldn't hesitate to make one. Not one with a fixed rod or track but just a short flight of steps on locking casters. Like this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-ANTIQUE-FRENCH-1920S-BRASS-AND-WOOD-LIBRARY-LADDER-W-WHEELS-P-/281758882384?hash=item419a235a50
True, it would take more horizontal room but it could also be uses elsewhere.
On 10/11/2015 1:35 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Yeah that would take up a lot of room and my wife has already vetoed the notion when I mentioned it a few days ago. The rolling ladders can be moved to other locations also providing the height or mount is about the same height. The upper mounts/rollers can be either a captured roller or hook.
"Leon" wrote in message
On 10/11/2015 1:35 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Yeah that would take up a lot of room and my wife has already vetoed the notion when I mentioned it a few days ago. The rolling ladders can be moved to other locations also providing the height or mount is about the same height. The upper mounts/rollers can be either a captured roller or hook.
Perhaps there is an application for a ladder/stair I know as Jefferson Stairs, basically incorporating sort of alternating steps that allow a steeper angle of assent and requiring a significantly smaller footprint. The set pictured [See: alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking] is for access to the sleeping loft in a tiny cabin [16 X 24]. They are an obstacle of sorts for those middle-of-the-night bathroom forays but that won't affect your application. Or, maybe not.
Dave in SoTex
On 10/12/2015 9:15 AM, Dave in SoTex wrote:

Hummm, Thanks for that, I will give that some serious consideration.
Leon wrote:

Just hire a very tall secretary.
--
GW Ross

Ne'er needlessly disturb a thing at rest
On 10/11/2015 2:21 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Or maybe a pair of those long grabbers you use to pick things up off the floor when you drop something. ;~)
On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 12:51:38 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Lower the ceiling? Drywall stilts.... on roller skates?
Does it have to roll? Will you climb often enough to warrant a rolling l adder?
I checked Craigslist to see it there's a roller mechanisms and/or rolling l adder available. None, but found this....
This kind of ladder hardware doesn't look too complicated (or expensive), b ut it doesn't look like the top has a roller mechanism (seems it might be a sliding mechanism). The bottom of the ladder has no wheels, that I can s ee. https://houston.craigslist.org/fud/5174876114.html
Sonny
On 10/11/2015 5:08 PM, Sonny wrote:

No, ;~) No, ;~)

No and I am trying to convince another person this is not a necessary feature. I'm steering towards the manual lighter ladder like in your referenced picture.
Will you climb often enough to warrant a rolling ladder?
No. It's the cool factor I have to over come. ;~)

Actually Rockler has a good set up on their web site to choose the hardware and get pricing. And so far they are the least expensive on what looks to be the same hardware as most anywhere else.

Rockler has library ladder kits.
On 10/11/2015 6:42 PM, Dan Kozar wrote:

Yup I have been looking at those. And totaled out about $1049.

Have you considered one of those small trampolines? A rebounder? They are good exercise and can be easily moved out of the way when you don't need it. And if you "miss" putting something on or of the shelf, you just keep bouncing till you get it right! Sort of a metaphor for all successful actions in life. And you get some exercise too! ;-)
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 09:19:34 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

...and paint the walls red, just in case. ;-)
On 10/12/2015 8:19 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

;~)
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:51:34 -0500

file cabinets are useful but i find i have less and less i need to file i notice on craigslist that there are lots of free file cabinets and entertainment centers
book cases are good but what is wrong with some empty space

since i am posting so late on this it seems you are leaning toward buying the ladder hardware
safety is a concern and i would want the right hardware to keep the ladder on its rail
making the ladder could be a fun and different project something unique that stands out
i would scour the internet looking at different study/library ladders to find inspiration
On 10/12/2015 12:14 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

We use a 5 drawer SteelCase legal file cabinet now and find it indispensable. That's why we I designed 6 total drawers.

It keeps things off of the floor I actually do have a file cabinet and a book case in the current office but not shown in the drawing. I left them out as I did intend for them to show or remain in the office.
As a side note, the new cabinets will be on the entry wall and virtually unseen from outside the office. You will have to come inside the office and turn around or leave the office to see them. I think this will help to keep the office from possible appearing crowded.

I'm still on the fence. Making the ladder mobile simply increases the cool factor. A regular lean ladder and bar wooden bar to rest on would be about $1000 less expensive.

Most all have some type of capturing rollers or hook to slide along the rail. It will not fall.

And that there is the rub.

I have been for a few years, it seems that there are a few manufacturers of this type hardware and multiple suppliers. So far Rockler has about the best pricing for a complete kit assuming you can I buy my own wood for the ladder. Some kits I have seen from multiple suppliers charge up to $450 extra just for the wood for the ladder, depending on the type of wood. Red Oak is typically the standard wood that is either included in the expensive wheel kits of $150 extra on others.

I found a used rolling ladder (oak, scratched & stained) at a garage sale for $20 and re-used the hardware with some Cherry stock I had for my vaulted ceiling library.
On 10/12/2015 1:30 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Do you have a picture of your Library?

Not yet, I just rebuilt the ladder last spring, but real-life intruded on finishing the library remodel :-(.

Just a thought, but check around the malls and find a closed Walden Books--see if the ladders are still in place and if so what you have to do to snag one.