A new life for a Craftsman sander

That's quite a subject line, huh ???

During the recent heat,humidity and generally miserable time of the year here in North Carolina, I was faced with the very nasty task of cleaning my table saw top(s). I am fairly anal about this job but I still hate the process cause it's so damn messy.

My standard method is

(a) WD-40 sprayed on and set for a few minutes (b) Scrub my ass off with a hold down pad and 3M pads (c) wipe off (d) goto step (a)

and repeat this process until the top looks nice and clean.

I have used my ROS on occasion and it is MUCH faster, but it slings that nasty black WD-40 all over me and the rest of the shop.

While in a "clean up" mode last weekend, I came across an older "jitter bug" Craftsman sander. It's noisy, shakes like crazy and is generally a real POS.

I got to wondering how it would work with the 3M pads and the WD-40.

Soooooo... I hosed down the table top with WD-40, cut a piece of

3M pad to fit the square base of the sander and had at it.

Because this sander moves "back and forth", there was NO slinging nasty WD-40 and it really works like a champ on the table saw.

Sooooo.. now you got somthing to use that sander for that your wife/mother/daughter/son bought you ten years ago and you were ashamed to throw it away...

Reply to
Pat Barber

It would be much more efficient if you didn't combine shop cleaning with personal hygiene.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Why are you cleaning your table saw top so often? A periodic reapplication of paste wax is all I've ever needed for decades! I live in hot, nasty, humid Alabama.

Reply to
bob

Reply to
JGS

I think "decades" is a very long time between cleaning.

I can get by with "about" four cleaning a year and more often during rainy weather.

My sh> Why are you cleaning your table saw top so often? A periodic reapplication

Reply to
Pat Barber