A new emerging champion!

We seem to have got ourselves a new champion this side of the water. When Norm and the New Yankee Workshop was on the boob-tube, SWMBO would start yawning and start making comments about finding something better to watch. Feedback from other woodworkers said they got the same sort of thing from their bosses.
Around the begining of December I dicovered the PBS channel here in the UK and a new show to me called Rough Cuts hosted by Tommy Macdonald. SWMBO saw me watching this show and suddenly started to take an interest in woodworking, demanding that I find out when the show was on next. She finally walked away muttering 'bout twenty-something hunks presenting woody shows and passing the word around to her friends. All of a sudden I can watch woodworking shows without a load of grief.
Happy 2012 everyone
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:14:19 +0000, Mike Stanford wrote:

I watched the first few episodes of the show and gave up. Macdonald always seemed to skip over the difficult parts in order to cram a project into the half hour format. And his voice and accent grated on my ear. My wife didn't seem impressed either.

The second season is a lot better in the flow than the first was. I'm sure it doesn't have much to offer the old hands. He seems specificly aimed at the beginner who might be discouraged. Each show seems to start with some variation of, "This may look big, but you can do it."
I still suspect that his idea of "a few basic tools" is out of line with what beginners have, but the show is sponsored by Woodcraft. They can go shopping.
--
Drew Lawson
"Please understand that we are considerably less interested

I wonder if taking a cue from Good Eats would be interesting. Find a project that features a tool and then go shopping and look at the various options. It's harder to be brand-agnostic with tools than it is pans, but some nice features could be pointed out (Bosch, when are you going to put LED lights on your jigsaws?) and a tool or two could be selected.
I guess Miriam Johnson does something similar on Hometime.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Mike Stanford wrote:

In a Dilbert strip, Alice is standing at Wally's cubicle holding a piece of paper with an astonished look:
Alice: "Does the new copier's repairman REALLY work without a shirt?"
Wally: "Only if you get the 'Thor' package."