A new clamp mantra

... popped into my head as I was working on a complicated glue up this morning:
"You don't have time for cheap clamps!"
Ran out of Bessey's and was working through the Sears/Harbor Freight/Big Lot accumulations. Astutely noticed, as the glue was setting up, that it took longer to fiddle with these than it did the Besseys and Jorgies.
Nice thing was - my wife was there and it was her project. She too said "yeah, you need to dump those and get new ones!"
Now I know: I don't have time for cheap clamps.
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:01:05 GMT, "patrick conroy"

Or:
Life is too short for cheap clamps.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

1. A TV commercial. You know the ones. The white male (or sometimes a female) is so totally inept using a product but everything will be just wonderful if you buy this new product. (They make me wonder why they are marketing their products to people that belong in the Darwin awards, but what the heck).
2. A very carefully crafted display for SWMBO devised to make her think it was HER idea to go get the good clamps.
I like #2. Good show.
Wayne

oh, boy, you don't know how true it is... I was glueing up some boards this very morning. By the time I finished aligning and setting the clamps, the squeezout was sooo hard to wipe off.
I'm definitely heading off to buy some quality clamps this week, just have to find a good excuse to mislead my SWMBO. Do you feel guilty too when stealing your own money?
Marton
On 8 Nov 2004 01:20:34 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@kirowski.com (Marton Czebe) wrote:

damn, that's a great way to summarize that "I should do it but hate to spend the money, even though I can afford it" feeling... I have trouble spending it even when she hears me cussing and suggests better or more stuff..
Ahhhhh. the old "moment of clarity".... I had this vision much earlier and my collection of Bessey clamps continues to grow.
patrick conroy wrote:

I have been trying that same "ploy" with my SWMBO to get my hands on a new stationary planer. She came down the other day just in time to see me in mid-process of flatening some stock for her project with a hand plane (timed perfectly thought I). Dialog went something like this;
Her: wow, that looks like work. Isn't there a machine that you could get to do that drudgery.
Me: Why yes, yes there is - it is called a stationary planer.
Her: Well, you should get one then (She was hooked, thought I)
Me: I agree
Her: How much do they cost
Me: Average about $1000 for a good one.
Her: WOW -- well, just look on the bright side and be thankful that hand planing appears to be good exercise.
And so ended the conversation and the hand planing continues.

Amateurs!
You always have to add something about personal safety when selling a tool to SWMBO!
e.g., to bring the above to the desired end:
Her:How much do they cost?
Me: Well, I could get by with $250-$300, but they spew out a lot of dust compared to the better ones (cough, cough...). Also, the cheaper ones are a little underpowered and there is nothing more dangerous than an under powered tool (I like that one).
She: Well, if your going to get one, get a safe one.
Me: Thanks Hon (cough...)
----------
I know, I know it's deception, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
Oops! Gotta go - here she comes now........
:-)
Lou

Amateurs!
You should always use language they understand:
Her: "How much do they cost?" You: "I saw a couple with 'On Sale' tags on them!"
<wait about 5 seconds then add..."
"Let's go look at them, and on the way there, we'll hit your favorite XYZ store. Then if there's time on the way back, we can stop for dinner."
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Larry Fox) wrote in
<snip>

You could show her the $475 LN #7 Jointer, and indicate, truthfully, that it only does part of the job....
Patriarch, who only has room for an 100 year old, patinated Stanley #8. Thanks, Patrick!
wow - you guys are good. I never thought to include the safety angle.
On 8 Nov 2004 10:27:10 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Larry Fox) calmly ranted:

Perhaps, but now she's primed for the "Honey, I found a used planer for only $300. Shall I go pick it up?" line. Keep watching the classified ads, eh? You might also "accidentally" leave ads for $300 planes lying around where she can see them, but you might risk her buying one for you.
I called about the $40 4" planer in the paper about a month ago and it was already gone.
--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity

Even better than that, before you grab the glue bottle recall the Scout motto, "Be Prepared."
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 02:59:08 GMT, "patrick conroy" calmly ranted:

I think I'll try warming the glue the next time to see if it stays liquid longer. And for large glueups (like when I tackle the entertainment center), I'll try some of the Gorilla Glue everyone's talking about. If it's good enough for David Marks...

I'll recycle them for you. Ship them to me, Patrick. I'll even pay shipping. (Send all but the Crapsmans.) Got my address? ;)
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development