A new challenge

| Morris Dovey wrote: | || superior knowledge. He even has a chance to outdo you. :-) | | The term 'chance' implies that there is some uncertainty about the | outcome. ;-)

Whenever a student can pass up the teacher it says good things about both.

The uncertainty only goes away if one resolves to not try. :-)

Morris Dovey

Sat, Dec 2, 2006, 2:19pm snipped-for-privacy@online.com (Bill=A0in=A0Detroit) doth sayeth: Several excellent ideas so far. I am leaning toward maybe making a plywood boat (he's an avid fishermen and our congregation is pretty well loaded with fishermen willing to take a kid out -- especially if the kid was willing to build a boat first!) and simple segmented bowl / clock turning. Both projects would also be new territory for me ... so we'd be more like equals and less like teacher / student. We could dry assemble the boat over the winter and then do the 'for the money' glue up in the spring.

Hah. You need to check out Bolger boat designs. Some of 'em you can cut the piees and put 'em together in a day or so. 'Course epoxy and paint would take a day or so longer. I really like his designs, look good, simple to make - most of 'em. My personal referenc for a fishing boat is a Jon Boat, inexpensive - you don't need marine ply just cheap plywood, easy to make, stable, and roomier than a V-hull. There's some plans on the web, I've got a load of info saved. Or, if you want something a tad fancier.

Stevenson designs has some very nice looking boat plans (pay mostly, with a few free ones), and simple, too. They have a site on-line.

JOAT I am, therefore I think.

Reply to
J T

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:1609-4572055D-181@storefull-

3335.bay.webtv.net:

I've never been much of a boater, or even a fisherman, but those are beautiful plans for a simple boat. A fellow could be easily distracted.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Sat, Dec 2, 2006, 7:12pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.net (Patriarch) doth sayeth: I've never been much of a boater, or even a fisherman, but those are beautiful plans for a simple boat. A fellow could be easily distracted.

I've been pretty fascinated by wooden boats for a long time now, I guess in part because they "are" wooden boats. My preference in boats is mostly in something I can use for fishing with, I like the thought of going out, enjoying the day, and geting free food.

Here's some nice plans, i've got a copy of their Pocket Cruiser plans, and one day would like to build one maybe - even tho I've never sailed a day in my life.

I'm particularly fascinated by Phil Bolger's designs tho. Here's a few. I think Sneakeasy is especially cool.
I prefer tack and tape over stitch and glue. If I was to try stitch and glue tho, instead of wire, I'd use plastic ties.

One day i hope to make a steam powered boat, inspired in part by a coupe of Bolger's designs.

JOAT I am, therefore I think.

Reply to
J T