A new challenge

Page 2 of 2
Bill in Detroit wrote:

Several excellent ideas so far. I am leaning toward maybe making a plywood boat (he's an avid fishermen and our congregation is pretty well loaded with fishermen willing to take a kid out -- especially if the kid was willing to build a boat first!) and simple segmented bowl / clock turning.
Both projects would also be new territory for me ... so we'd be more like equals and less like teacher / student. We could dry assemble the boat over the winter and then do the 'for the money' glue up in the spring.
That is unless he has something else he'd like to start with. Even a simple bracket shelf would allow is to consider gluing techniques, shelf sag (and a good excuse to introduce him to online research via the sagulator), possibly how to obtain a given radius with trammel points ... or without anything except interval calculations of the arc, the effect of a slightly tilted saw blade, re-sawing, planing and sanding, staining, sealing and finishing. Then, too, there are the various mounting possibilities such as keyhole, French cleat and direct mounting. Might even get fancy and make bookends that clamp down on an aluminum channel and cam clamps.
I think he's mature enough to accept the idea that he can make something beautiful with his own hands and not rely on other people to create the good things in his life ... a lesson that has broader applications, as well.
We'll see. His uncle is supposed to bring him over, but I haven't heard from either of them the past few days. Probably I will see him tomorrow. The only thing I really demand of the kid is that he be willing to do this. And I am not yet certain that the kid is keen on the prospect.
At any rate, I've had fun doing some of this research and have gotten inspired to start tackling some larger projects (such as that boat!) Hey ... the kid got some help welding last summer ... maybe that Brother would be willing to help him weld up a trailer!
click, click ... the gears ratchet forward another pawl or two.
Bill
--

Count your blessings. Once you realize how valuable you are and how much
you have going for you, the smiles will return, the sun will break out,

I've never been much of a boater, or even a fisherman, but those are beautiful plans for a simple boat. A fellow could be easily distracted.
Patriarch
Sat, Dec 2, 2006, 7:12pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.net (Patriarch) doth sayeth: I've never been much of a boater, or even a fisherman, but those are beautiful plans for a simple boat. A fellow could be easily distracted.
I've been pretty fascinated by wooden boats for a long time now, I guess in part because they "are" wooden boats. My preference in boats is mostly in something I can use for fishing with, I like the thought of going out, enjoying the day, and geting free food.
Here's some nice plans, i've got a copy of their Pocket Cruiser plans, and one day would like to build one maybe - even tho I've never sailed a day in my life. http://www.stevensonprojects.com /
I'm particularly fascinated by Phil Bolger's designs tho. Here's a few. I think Sneakeasy is especially cool. http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/sites2.htm I prefer tack and tape over stitch and glue. If I was to try stitch and glue tho, instead of wire, I'd use plastic ties.
One day i hope to make a steam powered boat, inspired in part by a coupe of Bolger's designs.
JOAT I am, therefore I think.