A new bed project completed

Nice layout of contrasting woods. What was your choice for finishing?
On 9/10/2011 12:16 PM, Dave wrote:

Thank you!
The finish is Lawrence McFadden, Oil based Gel Varnish. No longer available, they went out of business about 2 years ago. I was lucky enough to have gotten 8 quarts just before they folded. They were the Gibson guitar company finish supplier at one time, they were an old family owned business that bought out Bartley's gel finishes and supplied many musical instrument manufacturers.
Leon wrote:

Wow (nice)! Considering all of the drawers, etcetera, I think I might want about 5 1/2 years to complete a project like that.

On 9/10/11 1:42 PM, Bill wrote:

--
Froz...

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 13:54:25 -0400, FrozenNorth

Nah. After six months of the same thread, we'd toss him out on his butt. It's cardinal rule #6 for rec.woodworking.
On 9/10/2011 1:49 PM, Dave wrote:

Dang! I did not realize how close I was to getting the boot when I was building the tower/bedroom project last year! LOL

Ok, that's it. You just went over the six month limit. You're gone buddy. <g>
FrozenNorth wrote:

I have little doubt that there's are more than a fair number of lessons built into that project. After I finish my lighting I'll start something easy, like a workbench. I'll let you know if I run into any difficulties sharpening my planes. I may have to turn one of them into a scrub plane. At The Woodworking Show(s) a fellow from Lee Valley kindly showed me a bit. It's likely I'll be able to come up with something to post.
I applied 3 buckets of "hot mud" today. I tried to stretch the second bucket a bit too far, and ended up scraping a bunch of it off the wall. So the little bit of wisdom I have for anyone who has read this far is "don't try to stretch it too much". Somebody can probably start their own thread with that...LOL.

What's your def of "hot mud", sir?

Works about as well as those fabled "board stretchers" doesn't it?
P.S: I understand that Leon used -very- little mud in that project.
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw
On 9/10/2011 8:33 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I caulked a bunch before painting it. ;!)

It was fine before I found a small spot I needed to touch up, and the next thing I knew I was scraping it off (only about 1 ft^3). I think I've done a pretty fair job of taking a 40 year old garage wall and repairing all the holes and wear and tear. There was more time involved than I would have guessed. As long as I'm going to be painting, I decided I didn't want to have 2 brand new walls and 1 crappy looking one. And yes, I patched all of the holes in the ceiling too.
It will be nice to get my renovations over with, kinda like a bow-saur I think. BTW, what was so dang-difficult about a bow-saur? Also, what is the gizmo that attaches to the cord at the top to the middle of the saw? I've not seen it on every bow saw, but I've seen it on more than one.

Oh, lord... Don't mention an unfinished Bowsaur to C-Less!

Square or cubic foot? =:0

I trust you matched the -texture- perfectly, too?

You forget, I never did make that bow saur. Just the prototype and a start on some of the mahogany frame.

Nuttin' at all. It never was a critical project.

A tensioner stick for winding the tensioning cord. They hold the blade on the saur.
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Looks nice. The two contrasting woods will really stand out. It must be nice to have a dad to make things for you.
On 9/10/2011 2:10 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Leon wrote:

Looks great! I especially like the attention you paid to pulls & caps.
--

dadiOH
On 9/10/2011 2:58 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Thank you! and thank you again for noticing the pulls and caps.

+1.
-- Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -- Seneca

WOW!
On 9/11/2011 3:10 PM, Doug Houseman wrote:

Thank you. ;~)