A new bed project completed

Page 1 of 2
As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was building last year was eventually completed. :!)
I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for my son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted for the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.
The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and foot board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.
Have a look! It is a slide show, just click the next button at the top right side of the picture.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/6128352293/in/set-72157627627266436 /
Leon wrote the following:

Before seeing the pics, I was curious to see how you arranged 9 drawers. After seeing the pics, I guess the 9th drawer is in the typo. :-)
This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/10/2011 9:37 AM, willshak wrote:

No there are 9 drawers, the two false slots at the headboard would be hard to open if you have night stands near the headboard so they are false. The remaining 3 shots working towards the foot board each have 3 drawers. I never could see wasting the middle of the bed so I put drawers there also. Note however one of the outer drawers has to be removed to access the hidden center drawer. Good location for hiding stuff or seasonal items.
Leon wrote the following:

Great idea. Good place to hide the Playboy mags. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/10/11 12:39 PM, willshak wrote:

--
Froz...

FrozenNorth wrote the following:

No, No, No! They belong in the outer drawers. along with the manuals for the various tools.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/10/11 9:42 AM, Leon wrote:

Stunning! Great work.
--

-MIKE-

On 9/10/2011 9:40 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Fantastic! Especially since now I know about the 9 drawers ... <grin>
--
Best regards
Han
On 9/10/2011 10:46 AM, Han wrote:

Thank you!

If I may hazard a guess, you would have used the Domino for most of the construction. If that guess is correct, I'd say that (in your case anyway) it has taken over much of the day to day builds that you do.
On 9/10/2011 2:53 PM, Dave wrote:

I used the domino on all the top oak stiles/slats on the head and foot boards, to attach the foot and head board panels to the outer legs, to assemble the walnut face frames on the bed platform/drawer unit and to rein=force the rabbit joints on all of the drawers. In all approximately 210 floating tenons, 420 mortises.
I cut stub tenon and slots for the false drawer fronts and the panels for the head and foot boards.
There is hardly a project that the Domino does not come out. ;~) I would replace it in a heart beat if something happened to it.
Yuh hear that Swingman? LOL

Then, let me guess. For those instances where you still currently cut mortises and tenons for those larger timbers, you've been thinking about buying the Domino XL 700.

What's that, an invitation for Swingman to steal yours? Or, maybe it's a suggestion for Swingman to buy his own so he stops borrowing yours?
On 9/10/2011 11:51 PM, Dave wrote:

I naturally would like to see/have the 700, but I am not sure it would be quite as practical as the 500. I could use the mortiser or use 3-4, 10mm tenons. I wonder when the 700 will be available, I need to build a large covered deck in my back yard.....

Neither! We are in the heated race to out do each other on Festool. Remember Reagan and Star Wars? LOL
I think he is one up on me concerning tools with tails.
On 9/11/2011 8:47 AM, Leon wrote:

Hell, can't exceed you in craftsmanship, gotta have something on you! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/11/2011 1:51 PM, Swingman wrote:

Humph! Look around your home.... all kinds of stuff I would love to call mine. FURNITURE!....

Lemme get this straight... when one demonstrates his ability to score a really good deal, it becomes a 'drive-by' gloat. We all pipe up and tell that person: "YOU SUCK!!"
This blatant display of technique and skill is also a gloat, IHNSHO.
So... YOU SUCK is applicable here.
Brilliant work, boss.... *takes a bow*
On 9/10/2011 10:47 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Ditto!
I actually got to 'touched' it ... disgusting amount of talent this boy has! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/10/2011 1:11 PM, Swingman wrote:

Ah,now I'm blushing.... Thank you Swingman!
On 9/10/2011 10:47 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Thank you sir. I now have to design/rescale the same bed for a full size. Neighbor has been wanting one for his son and I think this bed pushed him over the edge. If'n he can swallow the price I give him. ;)