A new bed project completed

As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for my son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted for the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.

The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and foot board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.

Have a look! It is a slide show, just click the next button at the top right side of the picture.

Leon

Leon wrote the following:

Before seeing the pics, I was curious to see how you arranged 9 drawers. After seeing the pics, I guess the 9th drawer is in the typo. :-)

This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.

Reply to
willshak

Stunning! Great work.

Reply to
-MIKE-

No there are 9 drawers, the two false slots at the headboard would be hard to open if you have night stands near the headboard so they are false. The remaining 3 shots working towards the foot board each have 3 drawers. I never could see wasting the middle of the bed so I put drawers there also. Note however one of the outer drawers has to be removed to access the hidden center drawer. Good location for hiding stuff or seasonal items.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you Mike. Wanna help move it? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Fantastic! Especially since now I know about the 9 drawers ...

Reply to
Han

a really good deal, it becomes a 'drive-by' gloat. We all pipe up and tell that person: "YOU SUCK!!"

This blatant display of technique and skill is also a gloat, IHNSHO.

So... YOU SUCK is applicable here.

Brilliant work, boss.... *takes a bow*

Reply to
Robatoy

Great idea. Good place to hide the Playboy mags. :-)

Reply to
willshak

and Lee Valley catalogs. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Reply to
Dave

Wow (nice)! Considering all of the drawers, etcetera, I think I might want about 5 1/2 years to complete a project like that.

Reply to
Bill

but think of all the threads you could start here talking about it. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Ditto!

I actually got to 'touched' it ... disgusting amount of talent this boy has! :)

Reply to
Swingman

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 13:54:25 -0400, FrozenNorth

Nah. After six months of the same thread, we'd toss him out on his butt. It's cardinal rule #6 for rec.woodworking.

Reply to
Dave

nice to have a dad to make things for you.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Thank you!

Reply to
Leon

Thank you sir. I now have to design/rescale the same bed for a full size. Neighbor has been wanting one for his son and I think this bed pushed him over the edge. If'n he can swallow the price I give him. ;)

Reply to
Leon

Ah,now I'm blushing.... Thank you Swingman!

Reply to
Leon

Thank you!

The finish is Lawrence McFadden, Oil based Gel Varnish. No longer available, they went out of business about 2 years ago. I was lucky enough to have gotten 8 quarts just before they folded. They were the Gibson guitar company finish supplier at one time, they were an old family owned business that bought out Bartley's gel finishes and supplied many musical instrument manufacturers.

Reply to
Leon

Dang! I did not realize how close I was to getting the boot when I was building the tower/bedroom project last year! LOL

Reply to
Leon