A neener and a tear

Just scored a set of 4 "Two Cherries" chisels at the local Ace Hardware. I didn't know anything about them but thought the price - about $40 - was cheap enough for the risk. Googled them when I got home and found out this was a pretty good deal.

The reason they were so cheap is that the two Ace stores in town are selling everything off and packing up. One is already closed - all inventory moved to the second store. Second store will be gone by the end of the month. There's a Harbor Freight across the street, and a Wal Mart down the block. The store across town had a Lowes, a Home Depot, and a Wal Mart to compete with. We've done literally thousands of dollars (maybe tens of thousands) in the past two years from the research project I'm working on. I hate to see the folks go; they've become friends. They always greet us by name when we come in, and willing to help, even with special order items. At other "big box" stores, we just get blank looks - *when* you can find someone. They've had a lot of stuff we needed: everything from nuts and bolts, to pumps, paint, electrical hardware, and on and on. I guess we helped put them in the red. Every time we would come in, they would fire up the popcorn machine and make us a fresh batch. I always left with four or five small paper sacks of popcorn to bring back to the ladies in the office or students. I understand you have to keep your business model cutting edge to stay in business, but I really hate to see them shut down. Anyone interested in a good business investment?

Reply to
lektric dan

Feel your pain ... the big corporations prefer their public faces to be a full cut below the cash registers in intelligence, authority and accountability.

Reply to
Swingman

[...] Just a thought... see if they're willing to sell their paint shaker. 7 or 8 years ago, I bought one almost exactly like this one
fifty bucks when one of our local Ace stores closed. It's turned out to be one of the best tool purchases I've ever made.
Reply to
Doug Miller

That is a real Bummer. One of our Ace Hardware stores went under, but then reopened. It has the best selection of plumbing necessaries and anything else you might need. Was there just the other day for a couple O rings for some aquarium stuff I was working on. Got the rings and a few other items besides. The second local Ace store has been going strong for decades and still seems to be doing OK. They have the best selection of nuts, bolts, screws and what have you. I try to shop at both. They do have Big Box competition, but their level of knowledge and service sets them way above. Their hours are not the best, but since I retired that has made little difference to me.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

In our small town we have an Ace hardware that has been here for at least 30 years.Excellent stock and great employees with knoledge. Also a Home Depot that came in town about 5 years ago. Also very nice helpfull employees. Both of these stores have lumber also. A couple weeks ago a TruValue has opened. Large store huge stock. All these stores have local employees so maybe that why service is so good. WW

Reply to
WW

----------------------------------- Next time you go back, pick up a handful of O-Rings to fit the shanks of your router bits.

Slide O-Ring on shank of bit where shank meets bit.

It will prevent you from trying to fully seat a router bit, thus allowing collet to grasp bit shank properly.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Good tip, thanks.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I was in the family-owned local hardware store today and the lady who runs the paint counter (who hadn't seen me in weeks) asked how our renovated bedroom looks with the paint she and my wife told me I liked, and when we're going to bring in pictures. Can you imagine that happening at Hell Depot or any similar place? Can you imagine anyone at HD caring whether you put the paint on the wall or drank it with a beer chaser?

Dang, our local place has a popcorn machine too. It must be something the indy hardware shop association recommends.

I hate to see places like that close, but people want to save a few bucks by shopping at the big-box store, and then they complain about all the jobs moving overseas....

Reply to
DGDevin

"WW" wrote in news:o9-dnVALfZaqNvnRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com:

Our Home Depot is excellent as well. One person I hadn't seen in months recognized me and asked how the ice rink turned out. I bought the wood for it there two winters ago.

The local Ace is excellent. I rented a pressure washer last week, and the owner was concerned about me getting my project done, allowing me to return the pressure washer after hours. (Just so long as I had it back before 10:00AM the next day, when it was scheduled to go out again.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I would not be so quick to blame the big box stores of killing off the Ace Hardware stores! We have a hardware store here that was barely hanging on. The owner figured it was time to either lock the doors, or fight head on with the big boys, so he moved into a building right next door to Menards. There is also a Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart ,and Target within a mile of his store. He claims it was the best thing he ever did. When customers get sick of buying low quality import crap with no service from the big box stores they stop in and see him and buy quality with service. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Yep. The owner of a sci-fi bookstore told me he'd love to be able to move next to Barnes & Noble. "I got the books, new AND used, videos, games, costumes, game pieces, posters, t-shirts, everything. You step up to the counter and say 'I'm looking for a book about robots with a green cover' and I say 'how many?' Over at the gox store it's 'hey man, if it's on the shelf we got it' "

Reply to
HeyBub

Ever notice how furniture stores and car dealerships conglomerate into one area of town? It's not by accident or that they have no choice. It's better to be where the people are than where they aren't. ;-)

Reply to
krw

And how most of the big box stores locate where there's just about nothing else. Local HD has freeway on one side and Target on the other. Lowes has freeway and a coffee/lunch place.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Not here. They're both in a largish shopping center (Lowe's is actually on the other side of the road). Big box paradise, as it were; Home Depot, Target, Dick's, Kroger, Best Buy, Hobby Lobby, World Market, Old Navy, Office Depot, The Home Depot, Books-A-Million, Petco, and a bunch more smaller stores. They were in outdoor malls in NE Ohio, too. Maybe that's a regional thing.

Reply to
krw

Could be, Wal-Mart tends to be off by itself also.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in news:i45qak$bon$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

That's all part of a business model. If your brand is big enough to draw customers all by itself, move out of the way and buy up way more land than you need. Put in a big parking lot and sell/rent the lots on the outside. Maybe even develop them a bit if no one's interested.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

In VT, WallyWorld shared the parking lot with HomeDespot. The history there has something to do with it, however. The HD was supposed to be a Sams but it was rejected, so HD took the space. Both are in the area with all the other bog boxes. Here, they seem to have their own parking lot, but are in an area with other stores. I know what you mean, though. A lot of WallyWorlds are standing alone in the middle of a field.

Reply to
krw

Not here. All the big box chain stores are with in a mile or so of each other. We have a very congested shopping area. There are a few exceptions, but like the list above, we got 'em all within walking distance of each other! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

wrote

I have noticed that CVS likes to locate close to WallyWorlds.

Reply to
Morgans

CVS likes to locate everywhere. There's gotta be even more CVS stores than RadioShafts.

Reply to
krw