A must have tool?

Page 1 of 2
https://www.instahang.com /

Totally a "needless" gimmick and a "solution looking for a problem" ... and what, NO laser guided level and digital readout?? :)
SWMBO would love it, though.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Then you better expect one for next Christmas.

If you act now, the laser level comes with it, FREE! Just pay the additional $7.95 s/h fee. Bottom line: $31 kit worth about, what, six bucks?

Until she hung that heavy mirror and it came down in the middle of the night because the nail is less than 3/4" long and doesn't go into the studs. OOPS!
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer
On 2/18/2012 4:16 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Method to that madness ... who would want to forgo another "I told you so" opportunity to reinforce life's natural order (against a fetching blonde, you need all the help you can get). ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I can see a limited application for that, but as a proper hanging solution? Not so much. Lee Valley has a whole bunch of solutions far better suited for the job at hand.

OWW! MY HAND!
(older home with genuine plaster, not drywall)
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Yup... they forgot to include the free bonus dead blow hammer for those cases.
On 2/19/12 8:11 AM, Larry W wrote:

That was my first thought, knowing what my house is like.....
--
Froz...

On Saturday, February 18, 2012 at 5:44:54 AM UTC-8, John Grossbohlin wrote:

On Saturday, February 18, 2012 at 5:44:54 AM UTC-8, John Grossbohlin wrote:

tap a nail into a wall? A much bigger problem is locating a stud where you want to hang something heavy.
On 10/12/2015 2:03 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

Absolutely
How hard is it to tap a nail into a wall?
Probably easier with an actual hammer.
A much bigger problem is locating a stud where

That is relatively simple too. Use 4~5 stacked rare earth magnets wrapped in masking tape, to protect a painted surface, and hover it closely back and forth along the surface of the wall. The magnets will almost pull out of your hand and stick to the wall everywhere that there is a dry wall screw or nail.
On 10/12/2015 3:23 PM, Leon wrote:

You misunderstand. The problem isn't locating a stud, it's wanting to position the heavy whatever-it-is where you'd have to put a nail six inches away from the nearest stud.
Just Wondering wrote:

I think the person who buys this does not have the notion of a structural stud in mind. The manufacturer should sell a broom with it to pick up the inevitable pieces of glass.

I remember that "tool" being sold on TV. You can still get one at Hobby Lobby if you look.
On 10/12/2015 7:12 PM, Markem wrote:

O.M.G.! I'm heading to Hobby Lobby NOW!

It's probably too late, but be sure to load the 40% coupon on your phone!
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 10/12/2015 4:42 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

So when you say, "A much bigger problem is locating a stud where you want to hang something heavy," you actually meant to say a much bigger problem is having a stud where you want to hang something heavy.
I don't think I misunderstood what you actually said, maybe what you meant to say. ;~)

My thought too. That thing probably works on drywall, but your SOL if you have an older house with lath & plaster.
And the nail and hammer are a darn sight cheaper than paying $31 (after shipping and handling) for that thing.
One does have to wonder, tho, what inspired Mr Vanzandt to suddenly post that link, 3 and a half years after John G first posted it.
John
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:22:18 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

He probably bought a big remnant lot think he could get rich.