A more advanced "rec.woodworking"

Page 2 of 5
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:16:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Great!
But how does that benefit you?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

One benefit that occurs to me is that should anybody else get a hold of your card, they can't use it without your PIN code. Cards with the Visa/MC logo can be used without that information, therefore your cash is less secure.
Personally I use my credit card for virtually every purchase I make, as it is more convenient to not have to bother with cash. I just pay the entire balance off each month so as to not have that convenience cost me extra.
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:58:46 -0500, Mark Blum

Yep. I treat CC purchases like checks. I write a transfer from the checking account into a credit card reserve account, then at the end of the month clear out the reserve account to pay the bill. Works really well with the various accounting programs; it was more work before those programs.
Mark Blum wrote:

It would be a benefit if it were true.
Debit cards run as credit cards have all the fraud protections of a credit card: <http://usa.visa.com/personal/security/visa_security_program/zero_liability.html?it=il |/personal/security/index.html|Zero%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20Liability>
Of course, if the transaction uses a PIN, none of the above applies.

Same here. Not to mention bonus points. <G>
I've heard that studies show that we spends less when using cash. We budget with Quicken, so we know exactly where we spend, regardless of how we spend it.

One man's solution to the "healthcare crisis." Make them look you in the eye as you pay the bill _yourself_ and see whether we can get things under control.
George wrote:

I'm with ya'!
B A R R Y wrote:

After my sister's accident, the medicals bills (now well over $700,000) went across the desk of someone who used to specialize in forensic accounting for a very large construction company. The hospitals involved either knew this scrutiny was taking place or they're basically honest. Expensive, but honest. No evidence of 30 dollar boxes of Kleenex. As usual, basically honest professionals are taking a bad rap for the as*holes in any business. Anybody in here who is a builder, or deals with builders, knows that the bulk of them are pretty straight shooters. It only takes a couple of bad apples.
WHICH reminds of a story.
A woman from one of the local service clubs was visiting a lawyer because she noticed in her database of contributors that he never sent any money even though he was a member. "Why don't you help us out with a charitable contribution?" she asked. "Let me tell you," he explained, "my wife is at home in a wheelchair, my sister is in a very expensive rehab centre, my mother is in one of the country's most expensive sanatoriums, my father is in very costly physiotherapy, my 2 sons are in college, my daughter needs help in keeping her head above water. I don't give them any money, why should I give you any money?"

Interesting to note the "this is not a bill" statements from Medicare and other insurances, where the participating provider discounts heavily and takes the write-off. An unrecognized public cost, surely, that write-off. I wonder if the MSRP-equivalent cost they state at first is derived between the ears or buttocks.
Were it not for the auto accidents, our ambulance would be broke. They pay the full amount on our bills.
George wrote:

My brother-in-law was telling me that the hospital would submit a bill to the insurance company (maybe via my BIL, I'm not sure) say for $90,000 and the the insurance would say: "we'll give you $ 60K" and the hospital would accept that....how can that work? Frequent Flyer Miles?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

to memorize a new one. Mostly, though, the benefit I perceive is that it's not possible for me to accidentally debit a major purchase from my checking account, instead of charging it on MC like I meant to, simply by inadvertently pulling the wrong card out of my wallet.
Doug Miller wrote:

Good point, although my credit union will put any PIN on the card I want.

I know that feeling! <G>
I have a company charge card that allows no personal use. I keep the three cards in my wallet in different colored Tyvek envelopes. On occasion, my wife uses my wallet online 'cause I leave it next to the computer and her purse is elsewhere. Twice she's put the cards back in the wrong sleeves and I've had the company card out for major purchases and realized what I was about to do.
B A R R Y wrote:

Yup, uhuh...suuure...:) *wink, wink, say no more* The old "purse-is-elsewhere" routine. Check!
*having a chuckle at Barry's expense*
Problem in this house, is that the company cards are somehow bolted onto my accounts. Sometimes she lets me use her purse. Most of the time, it matches my shoes.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

That's real good ... as you long as you keep in mind that those pearls don't go with everything!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07
Robatoy wrote:

Usually her purse is elsewhere when she needs cash. <G>
"Tanus" wrote in message

I understand your reluctance about CC's ... although I have two, I rarely use them and have the same aversion. Like you, and for the better part of my life, I refused to touch the things, and still do for the most part.
But don't let the Visa on the check/debit card fool you ... keyed to a checking account and only good up to the balance in the account, it is one of the handiest things in the current world we live in, bar none, and one thing I really don't want to EVER be without.
Better/safer than carrying wads of cash or a check book, and you can use it anywhere you can use a credit card.
Although she doesn't have a checking account, I got a similar debit (VisaBuxx) card for my youngest daughter when she was in Jr High School. It's been safer for her than carrying cash in an urban setting, and convenient for me, as I can transfer money from any one of my accounts on the phone, or online, _instantly_ (and I mean INSTANTLY, 24/7)... that is "peace of mind" for a father!
She's been in a shop in England and needed something, called me, and two minutes later ... the time it took me to go online or call the number ... the money is on her VisaBuxx card.
While she's away at college it is how I fund her monthly allowance, or any emergency purchases that need to be made, like books, etc.
And it comes in especially handy when she's traveling overseas as I can make sure she has available cash 24/7 anywhere in the world there is an ATM or credit card terminal.
Mine has the same protections as a credit card as far as fraudulent use, and I've been using it for online purchases, like the Taunton site, for the better part of ten years.
Got to be one of the best inventions of our time, IMO!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Not only handy, but that is where I get the best exchange rates. The money changers at the airport are thieves to be avoided. Many places will not accept Traveler's checks either.
I still use a credit card for car rentals though. They can put a big hold on your debit card and you lose some of the available funds.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

I know I sounded like a damn commercial ... but I can't tell you how high the convenience/cost ratio of my youngest daughter's VisaBuxx card is for my/our purposes.

Yep .. I do the same.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07
Swingman wrote:

My daughter has been in Tegucigalpa, Honduras for the last three years (I'm still trying to figure out how to get some hardwoods shipped home). We deposit money into her checking account here in the states and the funds are immediately available to her in Honduras via her debit card.
One thing to watch is the fees associated with the debit card's use, especially overseas. Initially she would was using the card for a single $.75 purchase and was getting hit for a $3.50 transaction fee. She has since changed to withdrawing amounts of $50 - $75 cash at a time to cover small expenses incurred during the week avoided the multiple ATM fees.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
"Nova" <wrote in message

We didn't have that problem two years ago with her VisaBuxx card in Europe, but times change, so it is definitely something to watch for ... thanks for the heads-up!
There is a $2.50 transfer fee (charged to my account) when transferring to the VisaBuxx card, no matter the amount ... but that is the only charge, other than the below, that has been associated with the card, with two different banks, since we first started using it nine years ago.
For me that is cheap for an instant transfer of funds, and the peace of mind it brings.
That said, don't overdraw the account (something that is not easy to do, but can be done), because then they stick you with a $15 charge ... that's happened twice in nine years and both times it came out of the next transfer of her allowance, so she has always been REAL careful about it. AAMOF, she keeps a close eye on it and will call me if it gets lower than $20 ... and an added attraction is that I also get an instant e-mail alert from the issuing bank when the account drops below $20.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Ma'am, please remove the wood from your luggage... <G>
Does UPS do Honduras?