A little venting at Home Depot...

Page 5 of 5

If it were "slightly higher" I'd patronize the local shop in most cases. But in this case, HD's price on the pipe is $8.95, they cut and thread for free, and they're three miles from home, whereas the local place wants $15.50 for the pipe plus another $3 to cut and thread - and they're six and a half miles away.
--
Regards,

Drifting a little more off topic, but a funny story .
A fellow at work had an "interesting" childhood. Back in the '70s or so, boom boxes were the rage. He walked into a discount big box store to buy one. He looked at a couple on display, but they did not work. So, he opened up a pack of batteries, loaded up the boom box, then as he proceeded to the checkout he cranked it up loud.
The store manager yelled at him: "get the hell out of here with that thing!" So, he did.
Hey Doug,
That's a rather high price from the plumber's supply, you might check around. When I was shopping for 3/4" pipe for clamps, I looked at the Borg vs Plumbers Supply and encountered a similar problem with the threading: the Borg threaded for free, but charged over $10 for 10' sections; the Plumbers Supply charged only $7 for 21' sections. They would thread, but really didn't want to and charged something like $5 per end.
I learned from the pro shop that (at least here in TN) they sell only 21' sections, and most all their clients have their own threaders, so their policy makes sense.
My solution was to buy a cheap threading set (Homier sells one for $20 that has 4 sizes and works fine) and save on the pipe by buying 21' sections at the pro shop. It was a good investment and I've used that threading set several times since.
Something to consider for next time...? H

How much is your time worth? Obvious less than the cost of a piece of 9' pipe...
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca wrote:

Yeah, well... the last several times that I went to the Borg to get pipe cut and threaded, there was no problem at all: competent employee, machine worked fine, low price, close to home. That's why I went back this time.
--
Regards,
It ain't just the BORGs that screw up customer service. I recently picked up a 5X5 sheet of Baltic birch from the (local, expensive) lumber mart because the stuff the BORG carries is warped beyond belief.

Our local HD is "quaint" in it's ineptitude. Went for another gallon of custom green latex and all they could make that day was brown with pigment overflowing in customer after customer. Came back 2 days later and learned all they had to do was to reboot the paint mixing computer. (what's worse HD or MS?)
At customer service a few weeks later and the lady in front of me has a very dead hibiscus tree. Branches, trunk & roots; all in all about 4 foot tall. She is also carrying a bag of dirt ... a complete return no missing parts:) Most importantly she has the receipt which shows purchase within the 1 year guaranty period. So the problem???? The clerk couldn't find a barcode on the tree to scan for the return. After 20 minutes I offered to carve one in the trunk to expedite the situation. It took about a half hour with two management types to get the woman the return. I was having so much fun watching, I didn't mind the wait!
Jerry

So, how much did it cost at Lowe's? Add that to whatever your 45 minutes plus the amount of time you spent finding out the other places couldn't do it at all was worth to you, and it's a good bet that the local plumbing supply house comes out as a bargain... I know that the cents add up at the big boxes, but it's a matter of time and supply as well, and you don't always come out ahead, no matter how low the prices are.