A little venting at Home Depot...

No but my experience with them has been they are not yet out out beta testing. Failure to register the item in the bag is a common problem in all that I have used. I do believe managers who make these decisions only hear profitablity though. Not the inheritent problems with new technology.
Markem

Union pay for grocery cashiers is about $15 an hour here in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Other cashiers seem to get about $8 an hour at least to start.
If union cashier pay had kept up with wage growth over the years, they would be making something like $30 an hour or more.
Brian Elfert

The level of control these central HQs have over individual stores is a bit tough to wrap one's head around. This past spring, I commented to a HD cashier that it was uncomfortable in the store (hot & humid - it was pouring outside), and she told me that sometimes the store got that way, as the HVAC were controlled by a computer in Atlanta, and they sometimes missed the boat on local weather.
Apparently Wal-Mart does the same thing.
Jason
Jason Quick wrote:

This isn't at all uncommon...a small office building (10-floors of only about 5000 sq-ft/floor) in small city in TN where I worked was sold to a real-estate management firm -- they did the same thing from FL even for one additional relatively small building. It was really bad because they cut it off entirely on weekends and as a consulting engineer w/ offices there, hours were anything but regular. They finally fixed it so that one could call in their control computer two hours ahead and get the system on for a specific location...
John Emmons wrote:

Hell, at least she was doing *something*! At Lowe's, a loafer stands by the front door to say "hello" and another one stands at the exit not even saying, "goodbye!" Meanwhile, the checkout lines stretch for miles.
About three years ago HD started taking the top 10 selling items from every vendor they buy from and having those item copied in China. Check out the Drywall tool section. It still looks like ALL the tools are from "Wallboard Drywall Tool Company" (Made in USA) but 10% of the items are made in China and directly imported by Home Depot. Yet they keep hitting up their vendors for larger discounts while raising the price at the retail end!!! I was a vendor to Home Depot for 12 years. They made my little vendor business into a $10.00 an hour job. I have since opened a new business and deal with customers who truly appreciate my work.
cm

cm wrote:

Well, that's good! The last sentence, I mean.
Do vendors have to stand in line for an hour to get screwed?
Gawd... I was just recovering from the last 3,000 entry thread on the insanity and horrors of Home Depot that went on about 45 days ago.
Now I feel myself falling into depression thinking of all the people not smart enough to stay out of those stores knowing what they obviously know about the stores themselves and the people that work there....
I know, they can actually be more convenient and take less time... laziness can generate a powerful argument to actually rationalize convenience... and bitching about getting screwed is so much fun...
I'll be taping Dr. Phil to see how he deals with you guys. Best of luck to you all.
Sigh... what happened to the Norm bashing that went on for years here? It used to be a solid ass kicking and whining about HD, then Norm and his brad nailers, then Lowe's, some fringe players tried to bash Menard's, and even our Canuck buddies used to hammer the "whatever" Tire company.
At least it brought some variety to the bitching.
Robert
I've been following this thread and struggling to keep my big mouth shut.
More than 'a few years ago' I grew up in Atlantic City, NJ. {That's the 'city' itself, which is one of FOUR municipalities on the island that people think of as 'Atlantic City'}. I was easily able to WALK to school . . . from Kindergarten through High School graduation.
Within the short walk to Grammar School there was a 'local' hardware store that seemed to have everything for every season. From storm windows in the winter to a wide variety of 'sinkers', line, and other fishing tackle in the summer. Almost always the same faces 'behind the counter' . . . you actually grew up with them. Literally across the street was a 'glass company'. Kind of like an iceberg . . . a small 'storefront' but a huge workroom & warehouse behind. The other way from the Grammar school, about an equal distance from home, was the High School. A bit beyond that - across a grass & tree lined park - was a PAINT Store. From powered additives to the gallon cans to anything the 'real PRO's' needed. A bit beyond this was a store only about twice the width of the front door. Maybe 50 feet long, at the rear was a 'counter opening' in the wall for the proprietor - Irv of 'Irv's Tackle Box'. If it was about fishing - especially Salt Water - he had it.
Fast forward a lot of years, and about 60 miles away to suburban Philly. There's an old line about the 'definition of a boat . . . a hole in the water in which you pour money'. When you buy a house, you find the 'landlubbers' equivalent . . . the title of the Tom Hanks movie . . . 'The Money Pit'. The 'handy' type develops an intimate knowledge of the local 'sources of supply'. About this same time the 'Big Box Stores' phenomenon started.

Fast forward to today. Down at gate 13 at Skydome (now called the Rogers Centre). Look down the street. Condominiums everywhere being constructed or finished. No stores, no trees, no grass, flowers or anything growing. Nothing except great expanses of concrete everywhere. That's the way it is everywhere in downtown Toronto. Makes me long for when I was a kid in Montreal living on a 10 house street that had a huge field growing wild at the end of the street. Biggest playground in the world as far as I was concerned.

The wags were wrong ... the price of freedom is actually constant bitching, not vigilance.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

Ah, the Wal-Mart business model!
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net says...

No hotdog vendors, or pretty girls, outside the Indianapolis HD or Lowes stores. Just a bunch of dolts *inside*...
Went to HD the other day for two pieces of half-inch black pipe. Need one cut to 9'plus and threaded. There is exactly *one* ten-foot section of half-inch black pipe in the store. Clerk tells me they don't reorder until they're low on (or out of) several sizes at once.
So I headed to Lowe's instead, where they had many pieces. Grabbed two, asked to have one cut and threaded... and learned that the pipe machine is out of order and has been for _two_weeks_. Bought one, went back to HD to get their one remaining pipe cut and threaded...
... where I discovered that *their* pipe machine is down too. It hadn't occurred to the clerk to tell me that the first time I was there, talking about getting pipe cut and threaded.
Called local plumbing supply house. I'm sure their machinery is working. It is, but they want **double** the price at HD & Lowe's.
Try another Lowe's store. Called first to make sure the machine works. They assure me it does. Got there, and there's *one* guy in plumbing... and he doesn't know how to run the machine. FORTY-FIVE MINUTES to get one stinking piece of pipe cut & threaded.
GRRRRR
Had a similar experience at the Lowes in Bloomington. Got a piece of 3/4" black pipe and needed both ends threaded. Had some worker get on his phone and call for help. No response after 5 minutes. Had him call again. No response. Tried one more time and the manager came over and did the threading and cutting. Apparently 2 people out sick and the other guy on lunch break.

Kevin wrote:

Wouldn't it have been far simpler to have simply gone to the place you <knew> would solve the problem in the first place???? I fail to understand the mentality of going to places where one expects poor service and then complaining about receiving what one expects...

And pay double the price?

Well, I wasn't expecting service quite *that* poor...
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Was the few bucks saved sufficient compensation for the time and aggravation?

I expect <none>...(that way I'm not disappointed.. :) )
But I never approach a Borg for anything that isn't going to just come off the shelf, and try to have to never to do that. Of course, that it's 60 mi to the only one even remotely close helps... :)

In retrospect... no, probably not.

I have at least four within five or six miles, so my situation is a bit different. And most of them are closer to home than the local plumbing supply, too.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

...[re: Borg vis a vis perhaps higher-priced distributor]...

W/ the Borg far away, it's an easy decision of course, but I personally still have a fundamental distaste for the Wally-World syndrome that destroys small town businesses. I'm one of the (apparently few) ones who will go out of my way to patronize our locals despite perhaps a slightly higher initial cost. In return, I get folks who know who I am, will do anything possible (and some that is nearly not so) to meet needs and don't send corporate profits to Delaware or someplace else far away.