A little venting at Home Depot...

Page 3 of 5

John Emmons wrote:

You just described about 95% of all Home Depots in the L.A. area!
John Emmons wrote:
[snip]

Ah, the pretty girl. Now if I could just remember why they were so interesting...     j4

Yes, a lot of honest people feel that way. Problem is, there are too many dis-honest ones that makes it a necessity in some areas. Considering the cost of having a guard at the door, they would not do it unless thee was a payback. I know the one at our BJ's store has a half dozen gold starts from catching a few big ones. I see it getting even worse in the future.

Good ploy. I refuse to use the self checkout until they offer me a 5% discount.

The trip was not a total waste.

Worth thinking about next time you are standing in line getting pissed off. Retail is getting worse with service all the time.
Next time skip the hardware and just get the hot dogs.

When this happens to me, unless I REALLY NEED the stuff, I will abandon my cart or basket where I stand and walk out.

in
the
being
on
side
stopping
take
from
got
why
out
registers,
either...
register
me
half

I have done this more than once. I usually point this fact out in a loud voice as I pass the cashier too. I let them know that the service was intolorable.

Do you think a $6.50 /hr. cashier gives a rat's ass about service??
gw wrote:

Yes, while venting at the cashier is an understandable reaction, it's a turn on the "shooting the messenger" syndrome. The place to complain is to management. Almost always the actual worker bees are doing the best they can in a usually nearly intolerable situation...
In those situations, I usually call the 800 number that's on the wall behind the cashiers. You know the one....the one saying it is the number for customer service....
It's pretty amazing to watch the folks come out of the office like a swarm of angry bees after you've told the person on the phone that you have $5000 worth of merchandise you want to buy and can't find anyone (ok...so it was a little white lie) to take your money....
Only had to do it once....ever since then the local HD has been very good about keeping cashiers on-line and the lines short.
bill W
You hit the nail on the head. Most of these employees don't give a %&$& about customer service -- they get paid no matter what.

I think you're missing the point...
The cashiers and roving idiots *can't* do anything about it - at least the understaffing of the registers and various departments. If the store only has 2 cashiers on shift, that's it. I doubt there are 10 more cashiers squirreled away in the break room laughing at the long lines. Corporate has decided that for peak efficiency, store X only needs 2.3 cashiers on weekdays between X:00 and Y:00. Done deal. Efficiency is measured in labor expense, not keeping the sheep waiting in line. They put in the "Self Checkout" hoping that at least some of the unwashed will use them. I do (does that make me unwashed?) because I know that I am more likely to accurately wave the item over the scanner than the average dullard who can't tell a vice-grip from a toilet flange.
On the other hand, the zombies in orange roving the aisles seem to be half-and-half. They either drive me nuts by asking if I need help every 4.2 seconds, or they scatter like roaches in bright light if I find that I *do* have a question.
You've hit the nail on the head here.
I worked at HD for a few months in between being laid off and finding another "real" job. Currently I work in the retail software management busineess....anyway.
HD calculates the number staff (in person hours) based on historic sales information on an hour by hour basis. From this they build the employee schedule. They use prior year and prior month sales information as well as seasonal factors to come up with the number of employees needed on the floor during at a specific hour. The store manager is allowed a specific labor budget for the month. The problem lies in overusing his/her budget early in the month for whatever reason..be it a special sale day or a local blip in the demand. They have to budget carefully to avoid what happened to you.
The blame clearly goes back to district office or Atlanta HQ, NOT the store manager. He can only work with the budget he is given.
NJTrout

abandon my

Reminds me of a story my Dad loved to tell - he bought a can of custom color paint and then got pissed off about standing in line, so he walked out in disgust.
After he chilled out, he went back the next day, and saw his paint in the "error" section. He bought it for a fraction of what he would have paid the previous day. He had no guilt, given the crap he used to go through.
Well no different here in NY/NJ. I simply go at 7:30am Mon-Sun. or after 7:00pm Mon-Thur.
After standing in line for what appears Hours one Sat.! One of the products didn't have a SKU# or Barcode. So they put me to the side and paged the department for a price check.... I went and got a hotdog and drink finished both, walked back to the tools to look over a planer, then got the SKU# and still nobody had showed up from that area....
Lowes is much Better in this area for sure..... Infact I will drive 15 miles out of my way and pass 3 Home Depots to go to a Lowes. HD simply carries tools like Rigid that I buy...
But Lowes isn't perfect I got jerked around trying to get help on finding a router bit and was blown off by the woman handling Cabinets!
WHAT I DID FIND was that in Pricing, I went to 3 Home Depots (2 the same day)and with exact detailed drawings. I was given 3 prices all close to 3,555.00.
Went to Home Expo $3,100.00 and a free 6 sqft piece! Go Figure!

in
the
being
on
side
stopping
take
from
got
why
out
registers,
either...
register
me
half
John Emmons wrote:

<snip>
I have a friend who is a cashier at a H/D in SoCal.
The conditions you describe do exist because those are the procedures to be used as given by the headquarters operation in Atlanta.
Why do they do it?
It is less costly to warehouse customers than it is to pay cashiers.
My friend says working at H/D these days is a very stressful situation at best, but an individual employee is unable to do anything about it.
BTW, warehousing customers appears to be practiced these days by almost every supermarket and big box retail operation in existence.
Lew

i.e, the time of their cashiers costs $7 and up per hour plus any benefits, the cost of your time to them is $0. As long as you are willing to wait, the trade is an easy one. That's one of the things I really despised about colleges -- students' time was considered a free and expendable thing, college staff time cost money, thus, even if you had to walk across campus to pay 10 cents to get a receipt in order to make a copy, that was the process. Didn't like it in college but I was a captive audience, I'm not a captive at retail stores -- if I walk in and see that things are going to waste my time, I turn around and go somewhere else or come back later.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:02:47 -0700, the opaque Mark & Juanita
That low?
My very first job (age 15, 3rd year in CA) was as a box boy at an Alpha Beta grocery store for $1.95/hr. (That was my first and last Union job, BTW. Non-union pay was $1.65/hr and my net pay after Union fees came to $1.69/hr.) That was in 1968 and cashiers were starting at $8.65/hr even then. Can HD's pay rate nearly 40 years later be that much lower? I thought that being able to use a cash register and/or having any 10-key experience almost doubled the minimum wage pay for those jobs.
Anyone have data on cashier pay rate trends?
- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. --- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!
Larry Jaques wrote: ...

No data, but I'd suspect it has been pretty flat, at best...
"Brian Elfert" wrote in message

I do prefer to use the self service machines at HD myself ... that said, and depending upon whether I've had my morning coffee, it is irritating to have that mechanical sucker loudly take you to task for having an "unauthorized item in bagging area".
There are times when you just don't feel like being dictated to by a mechanical object ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

It's even more irritating when you put it in perspective; They fired a cashier who needed a job. They pocketed that cashiers wages. They then hired a cashier (YOU!) who would work for free, and use a machine to chastise you and keep you in line.
Aint greed wonderful.. .. .. ..