A little venting at Home Depot...

Page 2 of 5

wrote in message

By leave the shopping carts, I mean they don't bring them back into the store. If a customer wants to use one, they have to get one from the parking lot. I have complained about it a few times, but nothing has changed.
That, along with not being able to fine people to help me, most of the registers not being used with long lines at the few that are open is why I go to Ace hardware instead if I can get what I need there.

Sp what you are blaming the store for is the clod that won't walk 30' to a cart drop and just leave them around the lot instead. It is not just HD, but every supermarket in the country that has that problem. Over a year's time it cost quite a bit to have the kids go out and round them up. It is built into the pricing.

Nothing beats voting with your money. I do the same when I can.
wrote in message

They don't even have a cart drop.

Ted wrote: ...

I don't believe a HD would build a parking lot w/o at least one...

The HD store in my neighborhood doesn't _have_ a cart drop. So, yes, I'd blame the store for the carts that are scattered all over the lot.
--
Regards,

You know, I used to feel the same way about that and the slovenly habits of some shoppers. Now, however, it seems that some of the big box stores make it a 1/2 parking lot hike to the nearest cart drop. At some point, there is a threshold at which the store is encouraging people to abandon carts in the parking lot. Just another decrease in available service, this was originally not a problem because people actually helped one carry stuff to your car. Then, when the inconvenience of carrying things out was placed on the consumer, the cart racks were well spaced and convenient. Now, it appears that the cost of cart racks and associated parking is making customers do more work on their own by reducing the number and increasing the distance of the cart racks.

There is an apartment complex several blocks from us bought by HUD (I heard) and grocery supermarket on the opposite side a few blocks away and we see people walking groceries home in carts daily, many with SMALL quantity of groceries! I call the cart number frequently to report location of carts as a middle school is nearby and kids just LOVE to play with carts.

Strange you say this about supermarkets. I have always said that if the supermarket charged a $5 deposit on a cart you will not find ne that is out in the parking lot. You can bet your bottom dollar if one is left unattended in a lot . someone will bring it back for the $5. That would help keeping them in the store where they are needed and then returned for someone else to use. And I guess it could help the store on ins. when one of those carts run into your car. Guess with inflation starting to rise, lets make it $10 deposit. If we go much higher there might be hijacking in the lot.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (O D) wrote:

Aldi's supermarkets have their carts stored outside, linked at the handles by 6" lengths of chain. You insert a quarter to release a cart, get your quarter back when you plug in the chain again. They have NO carts left in the lot, and low prices.
I guess I'm in the minority.
I never really figured out what was so great about the true old style "mom and pop" shops any way. I'm old enough to remember them. Some of the things I remember were poor selection, 20 year old goods, high prices, often as not a bad attitude from the owner. And god forbid you want to return something. I remember one 'm and p' shop, where I occaisionally was forced to go into, where the owner would follow me around the store so making sure I didn't steal anything. Apparently he did this with every young person at the time. They have been out of business for 20 years,. Good Riddance!
HD isn't perfect, and there are some smaller (i.e. regional) lumber/hardware chains which I perfer to shop at, but there is a reason people go to HD to shop.
The fact that people were standing in line 12 deep indicates this is one very busy and money making store. It's like the old joke "This place will go out of business because the check out lines are so busy I had to wait an hour"!

George wrote:

Sounds a lot like something I heard Yogi say once upon a time... :)

Look Boo-Boo! Pic-a-nic baskets!
Oh, wait ... that other Yogi.
Got it.
Regards, JT
In article

Apparently not. You'd have people like you willing to stand in line, no matter how long it took... Take your business elsewhere, and just stop in for hot dogs.
;-D
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:23:16 -0600, the opaque Dave Balderstone

Nah, COSTCO is the place to go for dogs. $1.50 buys you both a soft drink and a delicious hot dog. Choose from Hebrew National All Beef or Kosher weenie on your dog: big, meaty thangs. I make it a point to do my shopping in Medford about noon so I can stop by COSTCO for gas and a dog, in that order. (Luckily it's not the other way around, even with sauerkraut on the Pdog. ;)
- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. --- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!
Larry Jaques wrote:

But the hot chick isn't there. You missed the most important part of the story LOL.

He wasn't going to the hot dog stand for the hot dogs, C-less...
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:38:47 -0600, the opaque Dave Balderstone

I must have MISSed that part of the message earlier. My MISStake, if I read you right.
--
ALL YOUR FEARS ARE LIES

You BOOB, you. Try to keep aBREAST of the threads here.
Ever consider not letting these things bother you?